• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction: Also From Spokane

Cubex DE

Hello,

After reading a lot of information and getting an edumacation on OC, I purchased my first handgun (my second firearm: my first was an AR-15), an FN Five-seveN, and today I OC'd for the first time. I just went down to the Shell station and bought some snacks, but it's a start. I plan to OC just about everywhere I can.

Anyway, I decided since I've taken this step I'd better join the forums and start communicating. Lo and behold, I see that another guy from Spokane has posted as well about OC. Good for you! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one here doing it.

Anytime I OC, I plan to have the Washington Gun Rights pamphlet, as well as the Spokane PD training brief on OC, folded up and in my back pocket, ready to present. I don't yet have a CPL, but I plan to get one soon.

A little more information about me: I'm a 21-year-old member of the US Army Reserve, and a proud member of the US Army Corps of Engineers. I work at a major electronics retailer for less than peanuts, and love to go shooting with friends in my free time, as well as playing video games and hanging around Applebee's and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Is there anyone else here in Spokane OC'ing? I personally have never seen anyone doing it, or at least never paid attention to it if I did see it (which I suppose is how it should work anyway). Also, does anyone know of any businesses that are particularly hostile to OC that I should avoid (I know some people will tell me to go there anyway, but I'm not trying to make problems by OC'ing, I'm trying to avoid them :lol:)?

Thanks for all the work from everyone in this fine organization. I truly believe the future of our country depends on responsible citizens exercising their rights, even if it is unpopular to do so.

Last edited:

o2ryan

Welcome Cubex,

You just missed a Spokane OC meet-up yesterday at the Donut Parade. You can read all about it as well as the experiences of many Spokane OCr's in the Eastern WA OC Report thread found here. There is a fairly active OC community in Spokane and we are working to increase our activities in the coming year.

This forum has a ton of info on OC friendly and unfriendly businesses. The only one I have experienced being unfriendly Sharp Shooters (go figure). I have heard posotive and negative about Costco, only done it once and did not have a problem, but my visit was brief.

Stay tuned to that thread I mentioned above and keep an eye out for more Spokane meetings in the coming months.

Cubex DE

That is interesting about Sharp Shooting. I bought both of my guns there, and everybody there recognizes me (I go around once a month for ammo and accessories). I've spent aroun $4500 in their store, and plan(ned?) on spending much more down the road.

Weird that they would be hostile to OC, considering the fact that every employee is packing heat!

I saw the info about the meet-up, but unfortunately I couldn't attend anyway since I was working. I'll try again for the next one.

I talked to one of my friends who CC's today and convinced him to start OC'ing, but he wants to wait until it warms up so he doesn't have to try to wrap a jacket around a holster to make it visible.

BobR

At work they provide us with lockers, which I will just lock my gun in until the end of my shift. <snip> I work at a major electronics retailer

You will need to read your employee packet. I doubt if they will allow you to have a firearm on the property. Most employers will fire you on the spot for showing up to work with a firearm.

Other than that, welcome to the site. I usually try to make the meetings but recently I think Snarly has been calling my work to findout which weekends I work so he can schedule the get togethers then, j/k.

As far as Sharp Shooting, you have to decide whether or not their refusal to acknowlede your right to OC is more important than buying stuff from them. I personally don't set foot in the place, except for Friends of the NRA meetings. When I go to the meetings I OC and no one has said anything to me, probably because we are in the back room and the employees don't come back there. There are plenty of other places in town that would love to have your money.

bob

o2ryan

Sorry Bob. Now you have plenty of warning for the next meeting so you can plan a sick day.;)

If you has spent that much money as Sharp Shooters, you haven't done much shopping in the Spokane area. The are better deals to be had and friendlier people to have them with. I would start at White Elephant.

amlevin

Weird that they would be hostile to OC, considering the fact that every employee is packing heat!

Using this logic no Police Officer would have an issue with an openly carried firearm.

Reality is that it is not uncommon for some to feel that they are allowed because of their position yet everyone else can't.

As far as I am concerned, any Gun Shop that doesn't welcome my firearm doesn't welcome my money. So many others to choose from.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
At work they provide us with lockers, which I will just lock my gun in until the end of my shift. <snip> I work at a major electronics retailer

You will need to read your employee packet. I doubt if they will allow you to have a firearm on the property. Most employers will fire you on the spot for showing up to work with a firearm.

I agree. DO NOT take your firearm into the building, leave it in your car. I can guarantee you will be violating the company policy.

I am a store manager for a national retailer (Electronics/Office Supplies).

Cubex DE

As far as Sharp Shooting: I just like the store environment better than White Elephant. It's just so much more gun-oriented, and I like that.

Concerning OC at work, I only meant to say I was planning to OC to and from work, definitely NOT while working. I just talked to our AP manager about it and he said as long as I don't wear my work uniform while carrying, he doesn't care. We have at least one regular who OC's and nobody bothers her about it.

BobR

As far as Sharp Shooting: I just like the store environment better than White Elephant. It's just so much more gun-oriented

Well, it is their only business, guns and gear. There are other places you can go that offer the same thing, Center Target Sports in Post Falls comes to mind. I don't know how they feel about OC though. There is also Northwest Pawn and Collector Arms on Pines. Keith at Northwest Pawn is also reasonable on transfers. You could try Best Buy Surplus on Sprague, I have never been there but haven't heard anything bad about it.

For Sharp Shooting to get on the Do Not Patronize list was not easy. We all know that Robin is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and does quite a bit of work for the NRA. But after several discussions she still refuses to allow law abiding citizens OC in her place of business, even though all of her employees do so. Her reason was a lot of women come in there and people practicing OC would scare them. Well, I will run up the BS flag on that one.

If you look around online or in catalogs I would bet you can beat most of their prices for gear and such. Look around even harder and you can probably beat their prices on guns.

I just talked to our AP manager about it and he said as long as I don't wear my work uniform while carrying

You need to get it in writing. As a national chain there are several layers of management above the guy who said it was OK. If another employee complains or another manager takes exception to you having a gun in your locker, a written statement from the guy saying it is OK may save your job. I have a feeling it won't really matter, but at least you will have the letter saying it was OK when they decide to let you go. If you have aspirations of moving up in this company, you may want to rethink taking a gun to work.

We have at least one regular who OC's and nobody bothers her about it.

There is a huge difference between a customer practicing OC in the store and you as an employee having a gun in your locker. With the customer all they can do is ask you to leave, with an employee they can fire you. But, if they do you can always go back in as a customer while practicing OC.

As always, IANAL, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. If you decide to carry to work you will need to tread lightly. You will have to be on your best behavior at all times, no matter how much someone may provoke you otherwise.

bob

Last edited:

Cubex DE

Today another manager who overheard my conversation with the first brought a printout to me that indicated that, as an employee, it is against store policy (and a terminable offense) to carry a firearm on company property, even when not on company time. Carrying to and from work is a no-go.

However, it is also company policy that employees who are in the store to shop and are not scheduled to work on that day are to be treated as customers, and employee policy no longer applies to them. This means that if I go there on my day off, I can wear whatever clothes I want, use whatever language I like... and OC, just like any other customer.

o2ryan

...even when not on company time.

When you were writing the second paragraph, did you forget what you wrote in the first?

My guess is that in the eyes of any manager, the first rule will supersede the second. I would seriously reconsider your desire to OC there as a customer.

My workplace has no policy against carry, but I know sure as hell that they would make one if they knew I carried, and no distinction would be made as to whether or not I was on the clock if I was seen carrying.

I know you are all excited to exercise your newly discovered freedom to OC, I have experienced it myself, but start slow, tread lightly, and think twice about how you carry no mater where you are going. You do not need to lose your job defending a privilege. I say privilege because while you are on private property, your freedom to carry is just that, a privilege.

Thor80

Welcome aboard! I pretty much agree with all the advice that has been given about carrying to work. As much as it kills me I don't carry at work either, or "work functions". My work doesn't really have a "storefront" but I would definitely do some more research on your company policies and maybe even ask your "HR" or upper management about your wanting to be able to OC to your store on off time. I worked security for a bar in Oregon and I could hang out at the bar on my off time, but I was NOT allowed to consume alcohol at the bar I worked for. We always had to hang out a different bar if we (the employees) wanted to have a drink... Go figure, so yea, definitely get positive answer from your employer and try to get it in writing as a CYA.

Again welcome and we'll probably see you around!

-Torsten

bennie1986

I spent a lot of money at ss also and will never drop a dime or set a foot in that store again after being publicly attacked by an employ and the owner backing him up. Welcome to the boards!

dwordinger

For Sharp Shooting to get on the Do Not Patronize list was not easy. We all know that Robin is a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and does quite a bit of work for the NRA. But after several discussions she still refuses to allow law abiding citizens OC in her place of business, even though all of her employees do so. Her reason was a lot of women come in there and people practicing OC would scare them. Well, I will run up the BS flag on that one.

bob
Robin supports the Second amendment when it suits her. She is a stronger supporter of the Republican Party than the Second Amendment. She supported McCain of McCain Lieberman fame over pro Second Amendment candidates in the last presidential primary.

http://gunowners.org/a052301.htm
http://www.davekopel.com/2a/mags/key-second-amendment-races-2004.htm

amlevin

I agree. DO NOT take your firearm into the building, leave it in your car. I can guarantee you will be violating the company policy.

I am a store manager for a national retailer (Electronics/Office Supplies).

So can we all OC in your store? Even if it upsets and scares those school teacher types that frequent your business?

Cubex DE

I've decided that, since the management at my store has a tendency to try to fire employees over whatever they can, particularly the ones who have worked their the longest and hardest, I'm just not going to OC there at all. Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't had a lot of interaction with Robin. The only time I spoke with her directly was when I bought some 5.7 ammo and she came out of the office to let me know prices were going up soon (probably just to encourage me to buy more; everyone knows that ammo prices always go up, not down).

It's too bad that they don't support OC. I guess I will just have to go use up my 4 free guest passes and then never set foot in there again :p

siggal

OC is OK at Center Target Sports

My husband and I OC at Center Target Sports all the time. They do require any firearm that is not cased or not in a holster be brought in with the action open and magazine removed if it has a magazine. But if you are holstered up OC or concealed you will not have a problem at all. The entire staff is awesome.

I guess another one of the reasons they were named Best Shooting Range in the Country by SHOT Business Magazine. I also just read in their newsletter that Glock GSSF named them the Best Indoor Range in the US.

Hope this helps!

o2ryan

My husband and I OC at Center Target Sports all the time. They do require any firearm that is not cased or not in a holster be brought in with the action open and magazine removed if it has a magazine. But if you are holstered up OC or concealed you will not have a problem at all. The entire staff is awesome.

I guess another one of the reasons they were named Best Shooting Range in the Country by SHOT Business Magazine. I also just read in their newsletter that Glock GSSF named them the Best Indoor Range in the US.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the post and Welcome to OCDO. We would love to meet you and your husband at our next Spokane Meetup on March 19th at the Starbucks near Pines. Stay tuned for more info.