• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Troubled at Food Lion....

JDriver1.8t

but the manager was one of us. (Albemarle Rd, east charlotte)

I was shopping with my wife, OCing a G23C in a Don Hume leather holster, wearing jeans and a black t-shirt.
I was in the frozen food section with my wife when an older, larger gentleman with his two grandkids (I'm assuming) stopped me and asked if I was store security.
I told him I was not, and he asked why I was carrying a gun. I told him it was for self protection.
He told me that carrying the gun this way was illegal and I shouldn't be doing it. (repeatedly)
I informed him that NC is an open carry state and that carrying in the fashion that I was, is perfectly legal. He said that he was a Sheriff Deputy, and that OC was not legal. I said that it was, and that there are court cases that say so.

He then changed his tactic. He said that the store was posted and that only LEO can carry there. I corrected him again, and said that I shop here frequently, and that the store is not posted. He told me again that I was wrong.
I asked which county he was a deputy for, and he pulled out CMPD (retired) ID, and then current Mecklemburg Deputy ID. I stated again that OC was legal and that I was doing nothing wrong, wished him a good day and started to walk away. He said, " well I'm going to go get the management and have a talk with them about you."

The next isle over, i'm getting the lasagna from the freezer section and I see the gentleman with a food lion employee (appears management) so I smile and wave at them. The man says, "That is the guy I was talking about right there."
The lady (management) says "I'm going to go get the store manager and he is going to talk to you."
I say OK and keep shopping.

On my way to check out, I see the manager (button down shirt and tie), the lady (other manager), and the gentleman talking. It sounds like he is telling them that they are wrong, so I keep walking to check out. As I'm checking out, the manager is waiting just past the bagger. I have my wife finish checking out and go talk to the manager.

I asked if he was waiting for me, and he said that he was. I said that we can talk now if he wants. He informed me that he didn't need to talk to me, he was just waiting for me to leave. I inquired why. His response was something along these lines:
-The way I was carrying made some people nervous (I asked if he was referring to the deputy)
-The customer service manager (the lady I saw) was nervous about the gun as well, and didn't want to talk to me
-He was in the parking lot trying to leave when they called him back in to talk to me about the gun
-He agreed to stay in the store until I left to make the CS manager and the deputy happy.
-He told them that that it was my RIGHT as an AMERICAN to have my firearm, and it didn't matter if they were uncomfortable. The store isn't posted and a customer can carry any way they feel like it. He was not going to infringe on anybody's rights. Food Lion is not a bank or a school. (He wished food lion would let him carry when he was there.)

He pretty much told the Deputy that he was wrong and to quit complaining.
He told the other manager that guns are fine.
He was completely for firearms.

All in all, a pretty good outing.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Still bottom line is that Food Lion is private property and they are free to make their own rules, as you are free to not shop there.

I would follow up with upper management. Have done that locally to a good conclusion.

M

mattwestm

I think the manager did a good job at handling the situation. I've told myself several times that if I ever had an issue in a store and was asked to put my gun in the car, I would tell them "I will put my gun in the car, along with myself, and I won't be back." Usually stores aren't going to want to lose business, so they will just ask you to lock it up outside. Luckily I've never had any problems.

I would however notify Mecklenburg county sheriff's dept. that one of their deputies gave you wrong information, even if you didn't catch the guys name.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Still bottom line is that Food Lion is private property and they are free to make their own rules, as you are free to not shop there.

I would follow up with upper management. Have done that locally to a good conclusion.
I wouldn't invoke any specifics, though. I'd just tell them how impressed I was with the way the manager handled a situation where you were confronted by a problem customer.

mekender

Probably should file a complaint with the PD... Their off duty officers shouldnt be using their badges to harass people that are acting lawfully.

paramedic70002

Definitely file a complaint with the LEO's agency. I would have been a little shorter with the blowhard.

"What's your name? OK. If I am committing a crime in your opinion, arrest me or bugger off. Expect a call to your boss."

muccione

Definitely file a complaint with the LEO's agency. I would have been a little shorter with the blowhard.

"What's your name? OK. If I am committing a crime in your opinion, arrest me or bugger off. Expect a call to your boss."

Yes I agree.. I would have just walked off after he started acting like a ****...

muccione

I did walk off when he showed that he did not have knowledge of the law, and was going on with "You just shouldn't be doing that."
That is when he said he was going to get the management.

when I read your story I could picture this guy acting like a little kid saying "I'm telling on you"

And to act that way in front of kids..... Proud moment there....

JDriver1.8t

My wife said the same thing when he was with the first manager and pointed at me, and all I did way wave and say hello.

She said "He did a whole body point, like that's him, that's him, he's the one I'm telling on, he did it..."

To those who haven't been confronted yet, you can sometimes expect a small adrenaline bump as you subconsciously prepare in your fight or flight mode.
I have been dealing with people who are against carrying from the very beginning as a leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, and as an OC organizer.
I am much more fluent in the speaking that I do, quicker in my responses, and completely sure of myself, but I still find my hands a little shaky at the end.
My reaction is from having to contain myself. I am an arguer by personality. It is always polite, but I don't back down. This may be just me, and a few I have talked to, but it seems to be a pretty normal autonomic reaction that you should be prepared for.

Last edited:

Northerner

To those who haven't been confronted yet, you can sometimes expect a small adrenaline bump as you subconsciously prepare in your fight or flight mode.
I have been dealing with people who are against carrying from the very beginning as a leader for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, and as an OC organizer.
I am much more fluent in the speaking that I do, quicker in my responses, and completely sure of myself, but I still find my hands a little shaky at the end.
My reaction is from having to contain myself. I am an arguer by personality. It is always polite, but I don't back down. This may be just me, and a few I have talked to, but it seems to be a pretty normal autonomic reaction that you should be prepared for.

Thanks for the insight JDriver1. I have an argumentive personality too, especially when I know I am right and within my rights. OCing for 10 months, Eastern Raleigh and have had no run ins.... yet. Can't say I haven't concealed when I sense a rather hsotile crowd or LEOs in the area, but the day will come.

Ricky

when I read your story I could picture this guy acting like a little kid saying "I'm telling on you"

And to act that way in front of kids..... Proud moment there....

Him saying "You shouldn't be doing that"....The LAW is not for him to interpret.......Its the LAW plain and simple...

rotorhead

Tell his fat *** he shouldn't be annoying innocent people who are trying to shop, either.

Ricky

Tell his fat *** he shouldn't be annoying innocent people who are trying to shop, either.

Just went in my local Food Lion OC and had no problem...The above post did put me on guard tho..I have never had any problems anywhere but the original post should be a reminder to be ready for that ONE person...........

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think we need to be more careful about these situations.

Managers are getting crafty, waiting for you to pay before insulting you and telling you to get out.

I think we should make a point not to pay for anything until the 'encounter' is settled, so that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

In this case, it went well. But it doesn't always. We need to have the option of leaving a cart full of product sitting there. If political and social hate-mongering is more important to them than money, leave it sitting there.

M

mattwestm

I think we need to be more careful about these situations.

Managers are getting crafty, waiting for you to pay before insulting you and telling you to get out.

I think we should make a point not to pay for anything until the 'encounter' is settled, so that they can't have their cake and eat it too.

In this case, it went well. But it doesn't always. We need to have the option of leaving a cart full of product sitting there. If political and social hate-mongering is more important to them than money, leave it sitting there.

If a manager ever tried a tactic like that. Waiting until after I paid to bother me about my gun, I'd promptly leave the store while my other half returned everything. If I'm alone, I'd lock the gun in the car, come back in and return everything.

We've also got to let these managers know that we know other 2nd amendment folks, and will let them know not to shop if they continue to prohibit firearms.

Spearhead

That really isn't the case here. According to the OP, the manager was telling the others they were wrong an OC was legal. The deputy was "just another customer" regarding Food Lion policy. He has no authority to tell someone not to come back to the store. Only the property owner or his agent can do that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That really isn't the case here. According to the OP, the manager was telling the others they were wrong an OC was legal. The deputy was "just another customer" regarding Food Lion policy. He has no authority to tell someone not to come back to the store. Only the property owner or his agent can do that.

Whoops - read it too fast and changed the position of the manager - my bad.