Thread: OC a 12 gauge?

OC a 12 gauge?

I often day hike out in the woods between Belfair and Seabeck (outside kitsap county) . While out there, is it okay for me to open carry my 12 gauge? A buddy of mine hunts out there and occasionally sees black bear. He recommended that I carry a gun in the off chance I jump a bear or run into any unfriendly two legged creatures. I do not have a CPL (application pending), and I don't feel comfortable OC'ing my 9mm glock, as it is a relatively underpowered round.

Basically, would I have anything to be concerned about if I were stopped by a game warded or a trooper while out there?????

Thanks for your help gentlemen...

Quote Originally Posted by ELGlocko View Post
    I often day hike out in the woods between Belfair and Seabeck (outside kitsap county) . While out there, is it okay for me to open carry my 12 gauge? A buddy of mine hunts out there and occasionally sees black bear. He recommended that I carry a gun in the off chance I jump a bear or run into any unfriendly two legged creatures. I do not have a CPL (application pending), and I don't feel comfortable OC'ing my 9mm glock, as it is a relatively underpowered round.

Basically, would I have anything to be concerned about if I were stopped by a game warded or a trooper while out there?????

Thanks for your help gentlemen...
    ibtl

I don't know of any law against it.
    Are you planning to use a sling?
    If you carry it in your hand that might be a problem.

If you were to get into trouble then the likely charge would be RCW 9.41.270

You may want to review a few court cases on the matter; State v. Casad, and State v. Spencer come to mind. they can be found at the North West Citizen Defense League http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=4

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...71-Basic-Rules

14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBTL-Trinity.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	5215

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    ibtl
    Hmmmm......you are new and adding to your post count eh? because your answer accomplishes nothing.

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.
    Since you don't want to cite the rule, I will.

ElGlocko,
    As you have just joined and this is your first post, I would heartily recommend you read the forum rules first. Here is the one pertaining to your post.

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.
    Search back threads on here as the topic has been discussed briefly before the threads have been locked, but more to the point, search the RCW's to get your
    answer.

Welcome to the forum! Spend some time reading. There is a law section as well that you may find helpful.

Cheers.

(shoot Goose, You beat me to it while I was composing mine)
    Last edited by OlGutshotWilly; 02-14-2011 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added comment
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

It happens!

Aye, welcome aboard for sure ElGlocko! There's TONs of information to learn here. Just watch the "Long Gun Talk" We like our pistols here. Also check the 2nd Amendment Rally thread for information on the upcoming rally

Quote Originally Posted by OlGutshotWilly View Post
    Hmmmm......you are new and adding to your post count eh? because your answer accomplishes nothing.

Since you don't want to cite the rule, I will.

ElGlocko,
    As you have just joined and this is your first post, I would heartily recommend you read the forum rules first. Here is the one pertaining to your post.

Search back threads on here as the topic has been discussed briefly before the threads have been locked, but more to the point, search the RCW's to get your
    answer.

Welcome to the forum! Spend some time reading. There is a law section as well that you may find helpful.

Cheers.

(shoot Goose, You beat me to it while I was composing mine)

Who died and made you the thread police?

btw +1 on ibtl

two hints.....

1) oc shotty

2) 9mm an "underpowered" round (lol)

Both of which would be tools for a troll in this neck of the woods.

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Campaign Veteran OlGutshotWilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    Who died and made you the thread police?

btw +1 on ibtl

two hints.....

1) oc shotty

2) 9mm an "underpowered" round (lol)

Both of which would be tools for a troll in this neck of the woods.
    LOL, sorry Poo!!
    I guess I usurped your position eh? i at least cited the rules and Welcomed a new poster instead of calling him a Troll

I'm sorry, I shall refrain from all further "police" behavior and let you carry on the position.

Cheers!
    THE SECOND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Government is not reason; it is not eloquent -- it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington,
    first U.S. president

9mm may not be as potent as a .40 or .45 but I'd take a hit with a 9mm over a miss with a .500 S&W any day.

Short answer, yes, it's legal. Out hiking in the woods, I highly doubt you'll have a problem OCing your shotgun, but I wouldn't do it in town myself.

Before you OC anything, go to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw and choose Title 9, Chapter 41. Read the entirety of RCW 9.41, it's actually easier to understand than you'd think. Heck, maybe even print it out and read it during breaks at work or just during spare time. It also comes in handy if someone wants to accuse you of breaking the law, because you'll have a hard copy reference to it.

Just so ya know, this forum does focus on OC of handguns and has rules against talk of OCing long guns.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

9mm may not be as potent as a .40 or .45 but I'd take a hit with a 9mm over a miss with a .500 S&W any day.

Short answer, yes, it's legal. Out hiking in the woods, I highly doubt you'll have a problem OCing your shotgun, but I wouldn't do it in town myself.

Before you OC anything, go to http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw and choose Title 9, Chapter 41. Read the entirety of RCW 9.41, it's actually easier to understand than you'd think. Heck, maybe even print it out and read it during breaks at work or just during spare time. It also comes in handy if someone wants to accuse you of breaking the law, because you'll have a hard copy reference to it.

Just so ya know, this forum does focus on OC of handguns and has rules against talk of OCing long guns.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! A 9mm is far better than a 0mm, I carried a 9mm for a while myself. If you want to start OC before you get your CPL, my personal suggestion is carrying with a mag in the gun but no round in the chamber while you're not in a car, that way you can just remove the mag before entering a vehicle. I say this because you must have a CPL before you carry concealed and/or loaded in a car. I did it this way until I got my CPL, and it worked like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Only problem I see one might run into carrying a shotgun in the woods would be with the "Game Warden". You could be suspected of poaching. Would trigger a contact if one sees you but otherwise no big deal.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

This is not a long gun:

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

......--Moderator Note--

LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC
    OCDO promotes and is focused on the open carry
    of properly holstered traditional handguns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super_shorty_870.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	5217