Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first negative OC experience

Regular Member Have Gun - Will Carry's Avatar

My first negative OC experience

Several hours ago I was asked to leave the Super Wal-Mart in Burlington, a place I've carried before without an issue. Wasn't in the store but 5 or 6 minutes when I started hearing radio chatter from nearby employees describing me: "it's in a holster" and a couple minutes later, "he's wearing jeans, jacket and a hat, and it's on his right side."

Near the back of the store I made sure my recorder was running, and soon my wife & I were approached on my weak side by two female employees. One asked if I had a firearm, and I replied yes. She then asked me to take it out of the store and leave it in the car, to which I responded, "You do realize that open carry is legal in Wisconsin, right?"

Her reply was that carrying firearms is against store policy, so I would have to leave. I asked if she was sure about that, and politely asked to speak to a manager, but she said, "I am a manager." I said that I wasn't arguing with her and would soon leave, but informed her that Wal-Mart's corporate policy stated that open carry is allowed in Wisconsin stores. She told us that didn't matter, because store policy does not allow firearms (a policy that likely didn't exist 10 minutes earlier), so I gave up my half-hearted attempt at educating her and we left.

Of course, now I'll probably have to contact someone at corporate HQ to have her straightened out. Where does one begin that process? Or do they allow individual stores the leeway to ban guns? I know I've read about it here before, but I'm too tired to look it up right now.
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

Quote Originally Posted by Have Gun - Will Carry View Post
    Of course, now I'll probably have to contact someone at corporate HQ to have her straightened out. Where does one begin that process? Or do they allow individual stores the leeway to ban guns? I know I've read about it here before, but I'm too tired to look it up right now.
    I'm sure there is someone that has the contact for the district manager before you have to go to corporate.

If the store is not owned by corporate, they can make their own policy.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I'm sure there is someone that has the contact for the district manager before you have to go to corporate.

Protias hit it on the head. Give the store a call, and ask for the contact number for the district manager. Give him/her a call, and ask why this one Walmart is going a different route then Corporate. I am going to guess the woman that threw you out was just acting on her own, with out any idea of the store policy.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post

Ah, yes, the District Manager - I'll give that a shot first (no pun intended...)

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    Protias hit it on the head. Give the store a call, and ask for the contact number for the district manager. Give him/her a call, and ask why this one Walmart is going a different route then Corporate. I am going to guess the woman that threw you out was just acting on her own, with out any idea of the store policy.
    That was exactly the impression I got - she seemed scared to approach me, but once I cooperated and said I would leave, her attitude changed. Deb says she got very smug or cocky after that, but it didn't seem that way to me - I thought she was just glad we were leaving and couldn't wait to get us out of the store.

This manager told us that the policy was to keep all their customers safe - sounded to me like a typical anti-gun feel-good argument. But yeah, I got the distinct impression that she made up that policy on the spot because of her FEAR of my gun. (I somehow managed to keep it under control though, because it didn't jump out of my holster and shoot up the place all by itself.)
    “There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other.” - John Adams

Experience? Experience means political success, which means (today) Democrat or Republican. And it is precisely these professional politicians who have become corrupt and unrepresentative of the American people.

That was exactly the impression I got - she seemed scared to approach me, but once I cooperated and said I would leave, her attitude changed. Deb says she got very smug or cocky after that, but it didn't seem that way to me - I thought she was just glad we were leaving and couldn't wait to get us out of the store.

This manager told us that the policy was to keep all their customers safe - sounded to me like a typical anti-gun feel-good argument. But yeah, I got the distinct impression that she made up that policy on the spot because of her FEAR of my gun. (I somehow managed to keep it under control though, because it didn't jump out of my holster and shoot up the place all by itself.)
    You mean you didn't "lose it" and start killing everyone either? Imagine that?! A law abiding citizen with a level head! I bet WAVE members wouldn't have made a scene.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Basically this same thing happened to me at another store a while back. When I talked to the actual manager (not just some dept manager) I was apologized to and was informed that he needed to have some remedial training with his employees. Never had a problem there since.

With respect, there is no Wal-mart privately owned. It is a corporate chain just like Target, Costco, Sams club etc. Everything is run in house by management, and dictated by a district manager, regional manager and perhaps even corporate in the day to day hiring, firings, decisions, etc. If corporate says they follow all local laws, than that is what must happen. I sincerely hope that you took down this women's name, becasue chances are, she is not a manager at all, but simply an "underling" manager that fills in when the store manager is off. At target, they are known as "team leads". I'm sure that Wal-mart calls them something else. She is probably lucky if she makes 15 bucks an hour, but the power of controlling the store and all the employees goes to her head. Trust me, I have dealt with MANY of these people in my experience in retail.

I should think, and without being too bold, that you should ask for an apology as well. If you politely and collectively say that your money is best spent elsewhere, you may get an apology sent to you from this women if Corporate is worth any salt.

If not, you know what to do. Spread the word, brother.

Let your words sting like hot irons to all who will listen. Tell them of the wrongdoings of this store, and do your best to avoid them in the future.

A right has been trampled, and so we must not stand idle and allow instances such as this to simply transpire, but stand strong against a group that would stand against us.

Yes it's important to always as for the highest level manager. In retail it's usually a store manager. Then ask for the District Manager's info. There is always someone above the store manager. Even if you don't need to speak with the District manager, it's good to get your point across. If your asking the manager about the policy, it's also a good idea to inquire about the policy. Can you see it etc. But if your just asked to leave, then leave. Don't be belligerent or argumentative.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I could not agree more. A couple of years ago we had the same thing happen in LaCrosse and after a phone call all was cleared up, no big deal just an uninformed manager.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Just a few thoughts, I suspect if you were there after hours, you probably did not have contact with the "store manager" but rather the "manager on duty".

You might first call the store during the day and find out the name of the store manager. I'm willing to bet it isn't the person who contacted you. Just a hunch.

I'd start with the store manager first (assuming its not the person you had contact with)
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Ah, yes, the District Manager - I'll give that a shot first (no pun intended...)

Wife was probably right. I have utilized my wife's superior attitude analyzer many a time.

Quote Originally Posted by xd40arff View Post
    Basically this same thing happened to me at another store a while back. When I talked to the actual manager (not just some dept manager) I was apologized to and was informed that he needed to have some remedial training with his employees. Never had a problem there since.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by Snake161 View Post
    With respect, there is no Wal-mart privately owned. It is a corporate chain just like Target, Costco, Sams club etc. Everything is run in house by management, and dictated by a district manager, regional manager and perhaps even corporate in the day to day hiring, firings, decisions, etc. If corporate says they follow all local laws, than that is what must happen. I sincerely hope that you took down this women's name, becasue chances are, she is not a manager at all, but simply an "underling" manager that fills in when the store manager is off. At target, they are known as "team leads". I'm sure that Wal-mart calls them something else. She is probably lucky if she makes 15 bucks an hour, but the power of controlling the store and all the employees goes to her head. Trust me, I have dealt with MANY of these people in my experience in retail.

I should think, and without being too bold, that you should ask for an apology as well. If you politely and collectively say that your money is best spent elsewhere, you may get an apology sent to you from this women if Corporate is worth any salt.

If not, you know what to do. Spread the word, brother.

Let your words sting like hot irons to all who will listen. Tell them of the wrongdoings of this store, and do your best to avoid them in the future.

A right has been trampled, and so we must not stand idle and allow instances such as this to simply transpire, but stand strong against a group that would stand against us.

I agree that they owe you an apology. Further, Walmart did not meet expectations on Wall Street last quarter so your complaint will hold weight. They do not want to lose any customers.

Had a similar experience with Woodman's in Onalaska but in that case, corporate changed store policy once they spoke to enough open carriers including WCI, I think it was Nik they spoke with.

Yes, the wife's a better judge of character than I am, so her impression was probably right. I remained very calm and polite throughout the encounter, but Debbie was beginning to get frustrated because the "manager" wouldn't listen to what we had to say.

This woman "Barb" was definitely a floor manager type, not the store manager or anyone from upper management. It was a Sunday afternoon, so everyone with any authority was enjoying their weekend off.

Tomorrow we'll call and talk to the store manager, and set up a meeting with him/her if needed. If they still tell us the store policy bans firearms, I'll ask to see the written policy. And I'll get the DM's phone number just in case.

I've been in Black River Falls, Onalaska and LaCrosse WalMart stores. NEVER a problem anywhere. The head of security at LaCrosse store is very knowledgeable about OC and related laws.

IMHO, you just found an in between with a tiny bit of authority. I'm sure district will educate the entire staff due to this problem.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Just talked to Walmart

I just hung up the phone with the store manager at the Burlington Walmart. The store manager confirmed our understanding of Walmart's corporate policy which is, they abide by the law. The store manager asked me if I could furnish him with contact information for the person ejected from his location as he would like to apologize or the "individual can contact me so that I can apologize to him. He is going to have a meeting with his management team to educate them regarding the issue. The store's managers name is Travis and seems to be a very nice and bright young man. The store's number is 767-9520.
    Last edited by Max; 02-15-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I just hung up the phone with the store manager at the Burlington Walmart. The store manager confirmed our understanding of Walmart's corporate policy which is, they abide by the law. The store manager asked me if I could furnish him with contact information for the person ejected from his location as he would like to apologize or the "individual can contact me so that I can apologize to him. He is going to have a meeting with his management team to educate them regarding the issue. The plant managers name is Travis and seems to be a very nice and bright young man. The store's number is 767-9520.
    Good job Max. Thanks for clearing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I just hung up the phone with the store manager at the Burlington Walmart. The store manager confirmed our understanding of Walmart's corporate policy which is, they abide by the law. The store manager asked me if I could furnish him with contact information for the person ejected from his location as he would like to apologize or the "individual can contact me so that I can apologize to him. He is going to have a meeting with his management team to educate them regarding the issue. The store's managers name is Travis and seems to be a very nice and bright young man. The store's number is 767-9520.
    I'm at work right now, but my wife just got off the phone with Travis too. I didn't see your post until just now, Max - looks like you beat us to the punch!

Debbie had a very similar conversation with him, as he explained that Barb was confusing open carry with Wal-Mart's policy that requires guns brought in for service to be unloaded and encased. (In fact, the greeters will not let you in the store until someone from the gun dept. [as if they had one] arrives to escort you to the service area.)

Travis said he has already talked to Barb about this, but he didn't offer an apology from himself or from her. It would have been nice to hear, and I feel we deserve one, but it really doesn't matter to me as long as this doesn't happen again.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Question Confused? You betcha'....

....he explained that Barb was confusing open carry with Wal-Mart's policy that requires guns brought in for service to be unloaded and encased....
    Sounds more like Barb confused, "covering the store on a Sunday" with, "making store policy as she sees fit."
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Sounds more like Barb confused, "covering the store on a Sunday" with, "making store policy as she sees fit."
    That too. You could tell she definitely WANTS the policy to read that way!

They service firearms at Walmart?

This seems to be a recurring problem with some female Wal Mart management personnel. I got kicked out of the Wal Mart here in Montgomery, Alabama under pretty much the same circumstances.

The manager here was rude, crude, and socially unacceptable to me in front of my wife and the two loss prevention "goons" she had with her. I call them "goons" because they looked like complete dirt bags. She also got a cocky smirk on her face and, with her hands on her (more than ample) hips watched me until I left.

Eye95 contacted the district manager. I saw this gentleman in the store later, introduced myself as the person who was kicked out for carrying, and he very effusively apologized for the woman's actions and attitude.

Glad your experience turned out for the better. I would contact the DM and request an apology from "Barb".

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    They service firearms at Walmart?
    Hey, that's what the store manager said. It's news to me, too!

He must have meant BB guns, since that's all they sell around here any more. No doubt there are Wal-Marts in more rural, more enlightened areas that still sell or service real guns, but not down here in "urbanized" SE Wisconsin.

Awesome job everybody! Nicely done! For now, Wal-mart may remain in our good graces. However, I tend to not shop there anyhow.

At least they made swift efforts to make it right

BUT, you still deserve an apology. I would call the district manager, and inform them of the issue, and that you have spoken with the store manager already.

This however, would be more than deserving to you, and would most certainly reinforce the fact with the store and this "Barb" that she should not tangle with somebody's rights.

It is up to you; I think that everything was done perfectly so far. No more is necessarily needed.

For you however, Mr. Will Carry, it is up to you whether you would like to have an apology or not.

Just a heads up though, If you contact the DM, chances are he will go straight to that store within a week and have a nice chat with "Barb", or at least ask Travis to have a chat with Barbwire again.

Then you will most likely receive your apology.

Either way, it seems that the matter for the most part, has been resolved!

Nice work!

Just had same problem in Wal-mart West Green Bay.
    Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane28 View Post
    Just had same problem in Wal-mart West Green Bay.
    Follow the procedure outlined here. You should be good with that.

I'm at work right now, but my wife just got off the phone with Travis too. I didn't see your post until just now, Max - looks like you beat us to the punch!

Debbie had a very similar conversation with him, as he explained that Barb was confusing open carry with Wal-Mart's policy that requires guns brought in for service to be unloaded and encased. (In fact, the greeters will not let you in the store until someone from the gun dept. [as if they had one] arrives to escort you to the service area.)

Travis said he has already talked to Barb about this, but he didn't offer an apology from himself or from her. It would have been nice to hear, and I feel we deserve one, but it really doesn't matter to me as long as this doesn't happen again.
    Great job, both you and your wife. You represent us well...

Hardballer out!

My FIRST negative experience: I carried at my local Walmart here in Michigan, and was asked to leave "Firearms were not allowed in the store". I politely informed them that I understood that lawful carry was allowed... the manager said I was wrong. I offered to cover it up. The manager said I needed to keep my pistol locked in my car. I left a cart full of merchandise in the store and departed. I contacted corporate, informed them of the incident, and was told that the manager can decide... and that they support the manager because he must have had an issue with it; I have not been back since.
    BTW, I looked for my original post but since it happened September of 2010, I couldn't find it as it's on the old website. I do have a recording of the confirmation of corporate representatives which was left on my answering machine two days after the incident.
    I refuse to purchase anything at Walmart and enforce that rule in my home...Walmart Products Are Banned from the premises.
    Last summer I was throwing a party at my home and I noticed that one of the guests came to my home with products purchased at Walmart. I informed this guest that he needed to return the items to his car as they were not allowed on my property. Oh, and before I get some comments such as "you were dressed like a slob" or some other nonsense, I was clean-shaven with short hair, dressed in a short-sleeve button down shirt (polo-type), and dress pants; I was on my way home from work. So, I am glad that your incident turned out well... wish mine would have.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 02-16-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast