• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for Volunteers: Ragged Island WMA Cleanup 05 Mar 11

ODA 226

I just spoke to the Regional Office of Virginia Game and Inland Fisheries that manages Ragged Island WMA about an OCDO and or VCDL member cleanup of that area and they were extremely cooperative and glad to receive our help.

I spoke to both Law Enforcement and Biology officials about OCDO and the VCDL and they informed me that OC or CC IS permitted at any time at Ragged Island with a valid CHP. If you don't have a CHP, OC is permitted until 10 March. (The end of the General Hunting Season).

I agreed to coordinate with the Regional Office as to the time and date the cleanup will occur so there will be no misunderstandings with law enforcement.

The Chief Biologist was very happy to receive help cleaning the area and offered to provide trash bags and removal of all trash collected.

So...any volunteers for this? We can have a morning/afternoon cleanup starting at, let's say 0900 AM on Saturday 05 March and then a OC lunch/dinner in Carrollton or Smithfield.

I will make all coordination with the DGIF. The ticks and mosquitos will be down and it will still be cool enough to avoid strokes and heart attacks for us older folks! :D

How about some good, dependable volunteers to sign up? It'll be good PR for our Second Amendment advocacy and our organizations!

John/Mike: Can you sticky this thread please? Thanks! Craig

Last edited:

wylde007

I would very much like to participate, but that is quite a haul for that early in the day.

Without imposing too terribly, might I suggest moving the start time to 9 AM?

I would also suggest posting this event to Facebook, if you have the inkling.

ODA 226

That is fine with me. We can make concrete plans for times and organize ourselves once we have a firm number of volunteers. 9AM is good with me...so let's say start at 9AM.

I will scout the entire eastern and northern parts of the island in advance and print out maps and areas of interest for cleaning. I will also organize with the DGIF for trash bags and a truck to cart away the collected debris and notify them that our members will be OCing on that day and time.

Maybe we could have a DGIF rep or officer there to assist. Maybe invite the media?

Posting to Facebook is also a good idea. I'll post and encourage other OCDO members to do the same.

Last edited:

ODA 226

Let's begin a tally of volunteers:
1.ODA 226
2.ODA 226's wife
3.Wylde007
4.ODA 226's daughter
5.T33J
6.Bridgette the Midget (maybe)
7.Zak Kee
8.Kimbercarrier (Maybe)
9.Grayghost (Maybe)
10.Wolf_Shadow (Maybe)
11.Wolf_Shadow Wife Unit (Maybe)
12. 45ACP4Me
13.ocholsteroc
14.Gray Ghost (maybe)
15.Mike
16.Ryan
17.Dave (Maybe)
18.mgp9999
19.mpg9999 girlfriend

Last edited:

ODA 226

Thanks Travis! Looks great! I sent out another 15 or so invites from my Facebook address book.

I just invited my former SF Team Medic and a doctor to provide medical support for this event...you can never be too careful in the swamp! ;)

ODA 226

Come on people! We have the blessing and cooperation of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries here! Please think of the long-term value of this type of cooperation!

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS !!!!!

Blk97F150

Come on people! We have the blessing and cooperation of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries here! Please think of the long-term value of this type of cooperation!

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS !!!!!

Where exactly is this place?

Maybe you can touch base with VCDL and ask about getting it included on their next Email Alert. Could also post a notice at any local ranges or gun shops....

MSC 45ACP

I'll bring it up to Boy Scouts tonight, but I think that's the same weekend as "Freeze-O-Ree". I don't go camping anymore, so I'll send the boy camping and see if I can get my remaining children and their friends interested. Its shortly after payday, so if I throw in lunch, I may be able to get a couple of them interested.

I'll see what I can do. Does anyone have any of those "grabbers" or "pokers" for us OLD folks that can't bend over like you youngsters?

mike

ODA 226

ODA 226

I'll bring it up to Boy Scouts tonight, but I think that's the same weekend as "Freeze-O-Ree". I don't go camping anymore, so I'll send the boy camping and see if I can get my remaining children and their friends interested. Its shortly after payday, so if I throw in lunch, I may be able to get a couple of them interested.

I'll see what I can do. Does anyone have any of those "grabbers" or "pokers" for us OLD folks that can't bend over like you youngsters?

mike

If you will commit right now, I'll make one for you. I'll even make a handle out of parachute cord on it! Just for you Mike! Now that's an offer you can't refuse! What about the midget?

MSC 45ACP

If you will commit right now, I'll make one for you. I'll even make a handle out of parachute cord on it! Just for you Mike! Now that's an offer you can't refuse! What about the midget?

Thank you, Craig.
Sending Midget a text-msg now. I'm in. I'll make a poker out of one of my walking sticks. Save you the time & effort.

m

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Here is an excellent opportunity to show the WMA people and the public that we are really the good guys and return a piece of land to the way it should be.

Sign in and sign up.

MSC 45ACP

Teenagers are allergic to mornings before noon on weekends. Trying to "sweeten the pot" with promises of breakfast and GOOD lunch. Craig, that's your 'hood', Where can I take the hungry college kid for a good lunch?

ODA 226

Teenagers are allergic to mornings before noon on weekends. Trying to "sweeten the pot" with promises of breakfast and GOOD lunch. Craig, that's your 'hood', Where can I take the hungry college kid for a good lunch?

We have Gators, Bubba and Franks, Jeb's Barbeque and El Burrito Loco in Carrollton and the Thunderbird in Smithfield. All are OC friendly.

MSC 45ACP

I am in for sure. If the boy doesn't want to go camping with the scouts, then he WILL be coming with me to the WMA. Three teenaged daughters are possibilities. We'll know more tonight. # 2 (and her b/f) will come if I offer to feed them.