• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for Volunteers: Ragged Island WMA Cleanup 05 Mar 11

GrayGhost

If I can get out of work I'll be there. Thunderbird's is a good place to eat, one of my favorites.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Gonna try to make it. Depending on what time I get off Friday night might be a little later than 0900. Two hour drive from the shore. Will try to talk the wife unit into it too.:dude:

ODA 226

I went to Ragged Island today with my Sarplaninac Dog, Livi. She was very upset at all of the garbage there...She told me she hopes that Zeus Dane will come and meet her on 05 March!

Here are some pics taken today:

Please come out and help Livi restore this land to it's original beauty!

Attachments

• CIMG3131.jpg
    CIMG3131.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG3143.jpg
    CIMG3143.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 280

ODA 226

After further review from Mike, it has been determined that it is legal to OC only during hunting season and that it is legal to OC with a CHP ONLY during hunting season.

Reason: 4VAC15-40-60 Para B states: "It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in the counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory gamebirds on these lands."

This is a general ban on the carry of loaded firearms on WMAs.

4VAC15-40-60 Paras F and G state:

F. "It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands."

G. "The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia."

Para F specifically bans all LOADED FIREARMS. Para G then provides exceptions to the law and specifically allows ONLY the carry of a concealed handgun at anytime with a valid CHP. OC would be allowed during hunting season.

Hunting season ends on 10 March, so we are all good to go with OC'ing on 05 March!

We need to change this law to add universal OC or at a minimum OC at anytime for those that have a CHP. This cleanup may prove to be a good start.

Thanks Mike!

t33j

My maybe is a very likely yes... that's the first weekend of spring break and I don't have anything planned until later in the week.

Last edited:

ODA 226

Bumping This Thread!

I took this picture today. Come on folks! We need help for this good cause!

Attachments

• CIMG3227.jpg
    CIMG3227.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 142

ryanmerrell

Great Idea

Community service while quietly promoting on the side is a phenomenal way to make a point. Well done. I can't promise that I'll be there. I'll have to wait to see what work has in store for me.

MSC 45ACP

Previous committment

While gathering accomplices for this road trip, I was reminded I have a previously-scheduled engagement for that morning: I am going to be flipping pancakes for one of my kids' fundraisers. Sorry 'bout that, Craig. I asked Bridget to talk to her fellow ODU students and see if they'll "pony up".

mike

wylde007

Im going to try and get some airmen from Langley to join up, I'll tell them their next promotion depends on it!
Here are your options for the day, airman: You may either come with me to the park and pick up litter or you may go over to the quartermaster and sort laundry.

Zak Kee

Here are your options for the day, airman: You may either come with me to the park and pick up litter or you may go over to the quartermaster and sort laundry.

hahah I have made it too far into my career to be doing that now! My wife however wants to go camping and all that weekend and I will try to talk her into camping on Sat night/ sunday morning so that I may help y'all with the cleanup.. I will let you know how that work tomorrow, she is coming back from a long period of out to sea and I am sure she will get her way on anything... haha. On another note, I did get a few airman this morning to come talk to me about volunteering, hopefully I can get a few to come out and get some volunteer work in!

ODA 226

Just want to bump this thread and ask for more volunteers. This is an opportunity to advocate for the environment AND changing the carry laws in Wildlife Management Areas!

Please donate a couple hours of your time and help us restore Ragged Island WMA to its' natural state, let our 2nd Amendment cause be seen and heard and join us afterwards for a fellowship lunch!

Thanks!

Craig