• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for Volunteers: Ragged Island WMA Cleanup 05 Mar 11

ocholsteroc

After further review from Mike, it has been determined that it is legal to OC only during hunting season and that it is legal to OC with a CHP ONLY during hunting season.

Reason: 4VAC15-40-60 Para B states: "It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in the counties east of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, waterfowl or migratory gamebirds on these lands."

This is a general ban on the carry of loaded firearms on WMAs.

4VAC15-40-60 Paras F and G state:

F. "It shall be unlawful to possess or transport any loaded firearm, or loaded crossbow in or on any vehicle at any time on national forest lands or department-owned lands."

G. "The provisions of this section shall not prohibit the possession, transport and use of loaded firearms by employees of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries while engaged in the performance of their authorized and official duties, nor shall it prohibit possession and transport of loaded concealed handguns where the individual possesses a concealed handgun permit as defined in § 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia."

Para F specifically bans all LOADED FIREARMS. Para G then provides exceptions to the law and specifically allows ONLY the carry of a concealed handgun at anytime with a valid CHP. OC would be allowed during hunting season.

Hunting season ends on 10 March, so we are all good to go with OC'ing on 05 March!

We need to change this law to add universal OC or at a minimum OC at anytime for those that have a CHP. This cleanup may prove to be a good start.

Thanks Mike!

I am still effy on this... Maybe next year. It sounds like you can OC but then all these rules thrown in... I would need a ride if I am going.(never been out there, I'll chip in on gas :) )

Last edited:

ODA 226

I am still effy on this... Maybe next year. It sounds like you can OC but then all these rules thrown in... I would need a ride if I am going.(never been out there, I'll chip in on gas :) )

It's simple...OC is allowed until the end of hunting season, which is 10 March. CC with a valid CHP is allowed at anytime.

Can anyone give ocholsteroc a ride ?

ocholsteroc

It's simple...OC is allowed until the end of hunting season, which is 10 March. CC with a valid CHP is allowed at anytime.

Can anyone give ocholsteroc a ride ?

$10 for chipping in on gas.

If no one can give me a ride I guess I could figure out where this place is. ;)

I am 100% sure I am going now. I have nothing that weekend.

How do we get to the island? is it a ferry ride with cars over? or we park cars on mainland and just take a boat ride? I never been :eek:

Last edited:

ODA 226

ODA 226

$10 for chipping in on gas.

If no one can give me a ride I guess I could figure out where this place is. ;)

I am 100% sure I am going now. I have nothing that weekend.

How do we get to the island? is it a ferry ride with cars over? or we park cars on mainland and just take a boat ride? I never been :eek:

Great! Glad you'll make it!

Ragged Island isn't an island anymore...it's more of a peninsula. Just park your car in the northern most parking lot and we can walk to where we need to go. Detailed maps to follow!

ODA 226

Here's a link to a map of Ragged Island WMA:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/maps/raggedisland.pdf

We will link up at 09:00 AM on 05 March 11 at the Gate CLOSEST TO THE BRIDGE. The entrance is AT THE LAST SIGNAL LIGHT before you hit the James River Bridge if you are heading North on Route 17.

If you are on the James River Bridge heading SOUTH on Route 17, the gate is to the LEFT of the FIRST traffic light AS YOU GET OFF OF THE JRB.

ODA 226

Are they giving us gloves or anything? I bought a pack of gloves for this event.

They are providing just bags and a truck to pick up the debris on Monday. Possibly a DGIF officer will be there also.

I'm going to get some dowels and put a nail through the end to make things a bit easier on our backs.

If anybody wants one, let me know in this thread ASAP and I'll make one for you.

t33j

I happen to have one of those pick up tools with a clamp at the end so I'll bring that. Also planning on trying out my new chest holster while wearing a book bag for the actual trash pickup part.

Last edited:

justin0829

Sign me up

My friend Mike (or mpg9999) told me about it yesterday. He and I both will probably be riding together and there is a possiblity my girlfriend may come (possibly). Thanks.

ODA 226

It looks like a "Russia Today" Television crew will be with us for most of the day also to possibly include lunch at the Thunderbird Grill. Credit to Wylde007! :lol: