Thread: Police point guns at man with lit cigarette.

Police point guns at man with lit cigarette.

Cigarettes are now weapons in Canada????

Standing on a staircase inside the front door early Friday morning, Dorian Kennedy saw the red beam of a tactical team cop’s gun squarely on his chest shortly after midnight Friday while the heavily armed officers were at a fourplex to respond to a call about a firearm seen nearby.
    Police spokesman Const. Shaun Chornley said officers were "absolutely not" overreacting to the cigarette.

"It's a lit cigarette. He can use it as a weapon, either burning the officer or poking him in the eye with it -- anything," Chornley said of any potential suspect who is smoking while cops close in.
    http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../17262821.html

No F-ing way!!!

It sounds like the only hope for our neighbors to the north now is for them to take up charges with the international court about the treatment of its citizens.

And we all know that won't work either....
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

That's utterly ridiculous!
    I mean, yes, smoking kills, but it takes a long time.
    As for the possibility of harming an officer, how 'bout staying out of range, huh?

And do they require everyone they see to empty their hands of everything? Pens & screwdrivers can be used to stab, hot coffee or other fluid can be damaging to the eyes... Oh wait, read further in the article:
    "It would make sense to have nothing in his hands when he's taken into custody."
    Um, hello?
    The man is smoking.
    He's harming himself & anyone who breathes the smoke, but that's not (yet) a reason to arrest him, even in Canada.

Besides, the article says the guy was
    Standing on a staircase inside the front door...
    So he's in his own home, doing something legal, & the cops threaten his life??

I hope the officer is reprimanded.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 02-15-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I hope the officer is reprimanded.
    Not likely. They don't seem to care too much about the people up that way.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    Not likely. They don't seem to care too much about the people up that way.
    Yea they don't seem to care much about the people here either. I feel in many cases we are only a few steps behind our Canadian brothers. When they a cop can shoot a well known Native American wood carver, and not even be tried for the murder he committed against the wishes of the public outcry.........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    And do they require everyone they see to empty their hands of everything? Pens & screwdrivers can be used to stab, hot coffee or other fluid can be damaging to the eyes...
    for my self i will have to remove my hands because i can use them to strangle anyone or use my fist as a weapon , how can i remove my hands without hurting my self and put it back on later ....

cop and citizen that will ( if ever ) open carry in canada don't mix at all ....

pat .

Hey, Smoking is a serious issue in the "Great Northern Workers Paradise”, guy should be glad they did not shoot him. Probably would have justified it by “He was attacking people with 2nd hand smoke”.

I spent two years working in Canada, it was miserable from the day I arrived until the day I left. I have been offered several jobs in Mini Me since….the answer is not No…it is hell no.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
    Hey, Smoking is a serious issue in the "Great Northern Workers Paradise”, guy should be glad they did not shoot him. Probably would have justified it by “He was attacking people with 2nd hand smoke”.

I spent two years working in Canada, it was miserable from the day I arrived until the day I left. I have been offered several jobs in Mini Me since….the answer is not No…it is hell no.
    Just one more good reason to NOT MOVE TO CANADA.

Canuck cops are pussies when citizens are nearby with lit cigs.