• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

question about the 1,000' school zone rule

protias

It is both state and federal.

WCI has filed a lawsuit to challenge the WI GFSZ restriction though. As for the federal one, the first one has been ruled unconstitutional, but the second has yet to be challenged, which I'm sure would also be ruled unconstitutional.

Uziel Gal

The Act of 1995 (which is the newer more constitutional version) has been challenged 9 times

United States v Danks (Eighth Circuit 1999)
United States v Tait (Eleventh Circuit 2000)
United States v Haywood (Third Circuit 2002)
United States v Smith (Sixth Circuit 2005)
United States v Dorsey (Ninth Circuit 2005)
United States v Nieves-Castaño (First Circuit 2007)
United States v Weekes (Third Circuit 2007)
United States v Benally (Tenth Circuit 2007)
United States v Cruz-Rodriguez (First Circuit 2008)

Big River Leather

Pardon me if I'm not grasping this properly, but can you break this down for me? With the lawsuit filed by WCI for the repeal, how does that help if there is a federal law as well?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The federal law is the creation of Wisconsin's very own Senator Nobody, Herb Kohl. The state was pattern after it.

jpm84092

GFSZ Laws are "Feel Good", but Actually Hurt

To the Wisconsin parents of little Johnie and little Janie, the concept that no firearms can be within 1000 feet of the property line of any school seems WONDERFUL. They reason that their kids will never be shot, even in a crossfire situation, because it is "illegal" to have a firearm within 1000 feet of any school property line. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Great Idea, Right?

Then, why is it that the affluent parents of children in Cook County and Lake County Illinois send their children to school in body armor?

Perhaps it is because it is already illegal (in IL and WI) to kill little Johnie and little Janie - and if a ripe target for plunder happens to lie within 1000 feet of a school property line (like the pharmacy that stocks Oxycontin and Darvon down the block), the drug addict bad guy says to himself - COOL - Free Kill Zone.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

While we're on the subject, with so many schools, courthouses, etc., how is it possible to drive around, get stopped for a citation and NOT be in some kind of GFZ?

Is there an exemption if you're not 'going to school property' and just driving by (in Va) CC in your vehicle? I think I read that you can CC with a permit (in Va) to school grounds but you have to stay in your vehicle.

paul@paul-fisher.com

While we're on the subject, with so many schools, courthouses, etc., how is it possible to drive around, get stopped for a citation and NOT be in some kind of GFZ?

Is there an exemption if you're not 'going to school property' and just driving by (in Va) CC in your vehicle? I think I read that you can CC with a permit (in Va) to school grounds but you have to stay in your vehicle.

I know nothing about VA but since we are in the WI forum, I'll answer for WI. Since you can only have an unloaded, encased firearm in your vehicle, you are not violating either the Federal or state GFSZ.

oliverclotheshoff

Pardon me if I'm not grasping this properly, but can you break this down for me? With the lawsuit filed by WCI for the repeal, how does that help if there is a federal law as well?

you sparked my interest on this

big river leather has a point with his question if we get the state level law repealed we will still be in the same spot with the federal level law unless i am missing something can someone who knows about this clarify

phred

you sparked my interest on this

big river leather has a point with his question if we get the state level law repealed we will still be in the same spot with the federal level law unless i am missing something can someone who knows about this clarify

Yup, but earlier that was discussed. The Federal is still in effect. I permit that requires a background check is the only permit accepted and you need to be a resident of the permitting state.

You can go the Vermont section where some of us asked how they took care of it.