• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

xd 45 down side

charleysbad

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
went shooting sat. with some reloads several different loads some hot some lighter
discovered the XD does not like lioght load rounds not enough to operate slide properly
at arounds 7 grains of powder but on the positive it really like hot loads
comments please:cuss:

Gunslinger

Not my preference in pistols, but the Croates do build nice guns. Lighter recoil spring would help, but then you would need to change it back for full power carry. Just dump some more powder in when you reload seems like the best answer. Personally, I don't see the benefit of practice with significantly lighter loads than you carry for PD. As I carry 230gr +P HSTs, I have no use for anything that gives me less than 850fps for target shooting. If I just want to plink, I shoot my Ruger 22/45.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Barrels shorter than 4" can have problems cycling with lighter loads, as well. They also generally have considerably heavier recoil springs. That's why I would never carry shorter than a Commander length barrel on my 1911s--even though I shoot hot loads. The Hornadys are great PD rounds, although 200gr are a little light for me. In a .45 I like big, fat bullets. :>

Gunslinger

What powder type and bullet weight/style are you using? Were you able to do any chrono on these "hot" loads?

I don't reload. Use fmjs that chrono at 850fps--Aquila, WWB, Federal--even Blazer has good velocity in their AL cased. +P HSTs go about 900. Never shot a Russian that hits 850. BVAC are also good choices at almost +P velocity.

Beau

I have to be carefull with my reloads. In my Glock 21 (.45) I am still using the factory barrel (chamber is not fully supported). I don't want to chance going above 5.5g of Unique. I have 300 rounds that are loaded between 6 and 6.5 grains (loaded for bowling pins) sitting on the shelf that I am scared to shoot. I really need to get an aftermarket barrel for my .45. I'm leery though because I purchased an aftermarket barrel for my .40 form Wolf. The tolerances are so tight that my reloads will not chamber. In fact even when using factory ammo there will be a round every now and then that won't chamber.

charleysbad

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
What powder type and bullet weight/style are you using? Were you able to do any chrono on these "hot" loads?

not sure on the powder my uncle picked it for me but the bullets were 230 lead solid
no chrono we were running the "hot" loads at about 9 grains this is what my uncles book said you could do and abou 6-7 on 50 rounds like i said we were just exper. with my gun to see what it would do the only ones that jammed were the small loads:monkey

Gunslinger

I have to be carefull with my reloads. In my Glock 21 (.45) I am still using the factory barrel (chamber is not fully supported). I don't want to chance going above 5.5g of Unique. I have 300 rounds that are loaded between 6 and 6.5 grains (loaded for bowling pins) sitting on the shelf that I am scared to shoot. I really need to get an aftermarket barrel for my .45. I'm leery though because I purchased an aftermarket barrel for my .40 form Wolf. The tolerances are so tight that my reloads will not chamber. In fact even when using factory ammo there will be a round every now and then that won't chamber.

Cylinder and Slide is about the only place I'd get an aftermarket barrel from for any of my pistols--except the .22s. Although Wolff should be fine. Their springs are the best in the world. Have you checked the barrel with a plug gauge? I would suspect the ammo to be out of diameter before the barrel.

Beau

Cylinder and Slide is about the only place I'd get an aftermarket barrel from for any of my pistols--except the .22s. Although Wolff should be fine. Their springs are the best in the world. Have you checked the barrel with a plug gauge? I would suspect the ammo to be out of diameter before the barrel.
I have not slugged the barrel yet. I know the chamber is tight though. I contacted Wolf and they said that their barrels are really tight. They told me to send it in with some dummy reloads and they would mill the chamber again. I just haven't done it yet.

JamesB

I can also tell you that the xd 9mm does not like "red hots" My former fiance was shooting reloads and apearently one of em had a double measure o powder.
Acording to the manual what happened is called catastrophic failure.
I call it spontanious rapid disasembly.

Either way there was shrapnel.