• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Situational Awareness Redux

mahkagari

Not as interesting an event as Lokster's, but was a good test.

I was CCing a .357 in my belly band when I took my daughters to Kinko's in Longmont yesterday to get some materials for my high school's career day this week. While I was loading the girls into the car, I saw the older one look out the farside of the car and just STOP and STARE. I went to middle orange and my internal dialog went something like:

"What's she looking at? Is it a threat?"
"Don't know. Can't see."
"I didn't see anything near or approaching when I was on that side."
"Ok, do you want to waste more time in this conversation until you get a better view or do you feel like GETTING YOUR HAND ON YOUR WEAPON?"

I got my hand under my coat and shirt onto the grip just as she broke her stare and went about buckling herself into her car seat. I didn't see anything through the windows, but kept my hand on the grip as I stepped around and scanned the surroundings. Didn't see anything and it was so brief she probably didn't even know that she had looked at something to debrief with her. It was a good drill, though. I only grabbed the bottom of the grip at first and had to reposition to get ready to draw.

Lokster

Isn't it amazing how quickly that "internal dialog" takes place, especially when the adrenaline kicks in?...all that in a fraction of a second, it seems.

When I think about it I'm still surprised how quickly I made the move to grab my gun from under my heavy winter coat. Were you able to grip your gun quickly?

I never spent a ton of time just practicing drawing while CC, but I'm glad I did at least a little. I know it paid off.

Beau

It's definately good to pay attention to what your kids are focusing on. They view the world from a different plane and may pick up on something you miss.

Have you noticed that when you OC it's usually the kids that tell the parents "that person has a gun."?

bogidu

Have you noticed that when you OC it's usually the kids that tell the parents "that person has a gun."?

Oh, HELL yes! Even more amazing to me is how FEW adults DO notice. If the world is really as bad as the doomsayers say it is, i would think that more adults would be on HIGH alert.

mahkagari

Were you able to grip your gun quickly?

Thinking back, it was pretty much instantaneous. As soon as I saw her stare my hand went for my gun (with that brief internal dialog zipping through). I didn't take the time to follow her gaze or try to look around obstructions. I had to reposition to get a better grip and that took longer than I'd like, but I wouldn't call it "fumbling".

Reminds me of an evening my wife's friend stopped by unexpectedly. I was laying on a couch that backs to the front window. I heard the movement on the porch but didn't hit "alert" until I heard the alarm in my wife's voice. The way the silohuette moved startled her and she got out half the first syllable of my name and I was on my feet ready to lunge for the door and the pepper spray next to it.

Good point about watching kids. Kind of like when birds go quiet. I wonder if that's a reason I intentionally smile at kids when I'm out and about. It takes me off the "threat" radar, but I suppose it would highlight the contrast between me and something nefarious. Probably going a little Jedi on this, but it's kind of like plugging into the kids puts you on their channel if they point out something's amiss.

Lokster

Well I don't have kids, but to me it makes sense that they would notice things that adults who aren't being completely aware might miss. Having to look up to be in tune with your surroundings is something us tall people aren't really accustomed to.

since9

Campaign Veteran
While flying for the military, we used to call it "the pinch." While OCing, I've had cause for concern on several occasions, but only once have I felt the pinch. I was walking into the local convenience store late one night and a couple of of folks were standing next to the car, talking. One of them took one look at my firearm and glared. He wasn't scared in the least. Instead, he was clearly pissed.

The pinch. I went from Condition Yellow to Condition Orange.

Thankfully, I kept my cool, stared, back, gave him a half-smile and a gruff "evening," and he turned back to his buddy without saying a word, but still glaced at me twice as I walked into the store. The moment I went through the door, they got in their car and left.

We're they up to no good? Absolutely, and according to the store clerk who'd seen them there before, but rarely buying anything, and always with cash, probably a drug deal. I surmise the reason he was pissed is that he thought he was about to be arrested by an off-duty cop.

DinFreemont

I surmise the reason he was pissed is that he thought he was about to be arrested by an off-duty cop.

I use one of the new style anti-unlock duty belts and a push button retention holster I think more than a few times folks who see the rig just assume I am a police officer of some sort.