• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senario

ice_man08

There is a guy who has been getting threaten by a member on an on line forum. There is a meet and greet this weekend and my buddy who is the one getting threatened is an organizer of this event. The member who has been threatened doesn't have a CPL and will be on Gull lake. Will not consume any intoxicants They are wanting to open carry because of said threats. 1 is this legal. And 2 if the police where called would he be given any grief over this? I can also shed light to any questions you may have.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
if it's public property or private property that hasn't asked you to leave yet, then yes, OC is legal in Michigan. i have no idea if the police will be called or not. all i can say is if no one breaks the law, no one will be arrested.
read the Michigan state police updates (especially the fourth one) in this thread for a crash course in legal OC:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...that-explain-the-legality-of-Open-Carry-in-MI

ETA: i should have said if no one breaks the law no one SHOULD be arrested. there have been OCers on this forum arrested for doing nothing illegal...

Last edited:

ice_man08

Now here is my 2ND questions involving nonlethal. If the other guy start pushing and my buddy pepper sprays him for pushing him to descalate the situation how would that work? My buddy doesnt want any drama, but if drama comes we want to know the law.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
then you are good to go, just brush up on your firearms laws. make sure you are transporting legally in the vehicle, make sure the firearm is not covered by a jacket AT ALL. maybe wear a drop leg if available.

ice_man08

then you are good to go, just brush up on your firearms laws. make sure you are transporting legally in the vehicle, make sure the firearm is not covered by a jacket AT ALL. maybe wear a drop leg if available.

Thank you very much for the info. Just called my local fire arm store and will be getting a drop holster for my buddy.

Last edited:

ice_man08

now here is the 3rd part of my questions (2 part) ( this one is just for me) If you are open carrying and a scuffle breaks out
1 if the weapon is not unholstered and discharged would just the scuffle be the issue?
2 If the attacker goes for your weapon is this considered deadly intent like it is if a suspect goes for an officers weapon?

TheQ

now here is the 3rd part of my questions (2 part) ( this one is just for me) If you are open carrying and a scuffle breaks out
1 if the weapon is not unholstered and discharged would just the scuffle be the issue?
2 If the attacker goes for your weapon is this considered deadly intent like it is if a suspect goes for an officers weapon?

#1 - did your guy initiate or immediately instigate the scuffle or was he fighting purely in self defense?
#2 - If someone tries to grab my gun I'm going to reasonably assume they mean to use it on me. Deescalation should be attempted if possible. Remember, drawing a firearm should ALWAYS be your last resort.

ice_man08

#1 - did your guy initiate or immediately instigate the scuffle or was he fighting purely in self defense?
#2 - If someone tries to grab my gun I'm going to reasonably assume they mean to use it on me. Deescalation should be attempted if possible. Remember, drawing a firearm should ALWAYS be your last resort.

Lets assume there was a mutual arguement and the other guy pushes first and that turns into the scuffle.

Yes i agree but would drawling your weapon to deescalate the situation be over the top.

TheQ

Lets assume there was a mutual arguement and the other guy pushes first and that turns into the scuffle.

Yes i agree but would drawling your weapon to deescalate the situation be over the top.

In order to stay in the legal clear, don't participate in the argument. This requires self control. If you don't have self-control, don't carry a gun.

Rich B

I would think it unwise to go looking for a fight, especially while armed. Armed citizens should hold themselves to a higher standard when it comes to purposely choosing to not put themselves in a position where there is a good likelihood of violence.

Not to mention that iceman has just posted this all in a public forum. The police and DA will have a field day with this thread if self defense is required.

easy

There is a guy who has been getting threaten by a member on an on line forum. There is a meet and greet this weekend and my buddy who is the one getting threatened is an organizer of this event. The member who has been threatened doesn't have a CPL and will be on Gull lake. Will not consume any intoxicants They are wanting to open carry because of said threats. 1 is this legal. And 2 if the police where called would he be given any grief over this? I can also shed light to any questions you may have.

The question I have is the guy that wants to open carry the gun "Does Not Have A CPL" so
does he legally own the gun that he plans to open carry or do you plan to loan him the gun?

ice_man08

its not that he is looking for a fight, its that he wants to just be prepared. He has his own gun and has Oc'd a couple times with me. I am gonns try to tell him to bring some pepper spray and mace the dude, thats gonna be my suggestion. Its a pretty crappy deal the whole mess.

Last edited: