• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surf City - Sgt A. Cunio WTF??

Ratt402

Not sure if it matters, but I believe the reason for being required to change CCW permit from Va to NC isnt because of being valid in either state, its because of the address on your CCW has to match your address on your driver's license. I moved and stayed in Greensboro and I called the sheriff's department asking about it and it was then I was informed about the address on both my license and my CCW have to be the same as they are tied together. If you get pulled, it comes up on the computer in the officer's car that you have a CCW.
Just a little insight, hope it was helpful. If not, sorry.

Trivia bit.....the term "Cop" is derived from where police uniforms back in the day had copper buttons on them.

Semper Fi !

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not sure if it matters, but I believe the reason for being required to change CCW permit from Va to NC isnt because of being valid in either state, its because of the address on your CCW has to match your address on your driver's license. I moved and stayed in Greensboro and I called the sheriff's department asking about it and it was then I was informed about the address on both my license and my CCW have to be the same as they are tied together. If you get pulled, it comes up on the computer in the officer's car that you have a CCW.
Just a little insight, hope it was helpful. If not, sorry.

Trivia bit.....the term "Cop" is derived from where police uniforms back in the day had copper buttons on them.

Semper Fi !

That is NOT the case in Virginia - addresses do not have to match. It may be more convenient, but is is not required.

Can you provide us with a cite on these two documents being required to have the same address? Not familiar with that requirement at all. Not at all comfortable with what a deputy might think is correct - they have been wrong before.

sultan62

Address Cite:

§ 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit. said:
(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.

calynn

Sounds like a VA non-resident permit would fix it? Can't believe someone on orders to temporarily live in NC is treated like that.

Spearhead

That is NOT the case in Virginia - addresses do not have to match. It may be more convenient, but is is not required.

Can you provide us with a cite on these two documents being required to have the same address? Not familiar with that requirement at all. Not at all comfortable with what a deputy might think is correct - they have been wrong before.

I went thru all this. In the end, all I had to do was submit a change of address to Virginia State Police. I wonder why they even differentiate between non-resident and resident permits if the address doesn't matter. I spoke to the person who does the permits and then asked to speak with the supervisor. No one in the VSP office could tell me why I could have and VA permit with a NC address on it. I just followed their instructions anyway. So long as it is VALID in Virginia, it is reciprocal under the agreement. (NCGS 14-415-24)

I'm not a big fan of this "residency" requirement anyway. I am an American Citizen, not the property of any state. This is the benefit of carrying a passport. It is a worldwide accepted guvmint issued photo ID and it has no address on it.

Last edited:

sultan62

I think when he realized he was wrong he developed CYA syndrome and wanted to be able to point at something.

Badger Johnson

I would suggest that in iffy situations, OC and CC alike should carry a card or print up the law and fold it up wallet sized and carry it with them when they are armed.

Yes, it's a PiB, and yes LEOs should know the current law but as we know, they do not always keep current and are not likely to admit a civilian knows the law better without proof. If it keeps you from being detained, then why not?

Here, it's a simple and clear cut situation where you have a Virginia CC and you are carrying in NC and know you didn't get one there.

Sorry that happened to you.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
"Chica, noun: A name for a girl, preferably an extremely hot girl, that you find pride in just knowing her.
----->http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chica

Wow, that's pathetic. Who can have actual pride for 'knowing' someone else? Guilt by Association, now Specialer-than-you by Association? I can't be from this planet, I just can't. Anyway...

You tried to wave your Only One's card and ended up getting a slap in the face for it.

Officer Loudmouth is wrong. How is that news? Cops usually are. Officer Loudmouth decided to mess with you when you could have said nothing. Again, how is this news? What did you expect? That's like poking a lion in the eye with a stick. You don't think it is. I don't think it is. But a gigantic ego and hormone problem with a badge pinned to it sees it that way. You challenged his manhood by suggesting that you could carry a gun like he does. You made his gun look like no big deal, when it is in fact a symbol upon which he hangs his self-image of being better than everyone else. Further evidenced by the fact that he won't man-up and admit he was wrong. He's not going to cut off his penis extension! Admit anyone can do it and it doesn't make him, you, or anyone else manly and special? NEVER!

Not giving ID, not talking to the Cops, etc... It's for YOUR own benefit. Your attitude towards people who want to help you is not very becoming. Cops are often unbalanced people, you never know what is going to set them off. Do you stroll on over to the homeless guy who thinks Jesus lives in a Styrofoam cup to strike up a conversation and tell him about your CWP from VA for no apparent reason? Telling stuff you don't need to, to a Cop, is just about the same thing. They're frequently not rational or predictable. This is a well documented fact with several people expressing such experiences on this forum.

Facts are not Cop bashing. It isn't just about asserting your rights, sterile carry, etc. It's about that fact that these people aren't right in the head and you don't know how far they'll go to look and feel macho. We're just regular guys who carry a gun... Cops, if they don't have a Complex to begin with, will be instilled with one by the time they get their Cert... They aren't safe people to interact with. Too much power, and very unstable by nature or by 'training.'

On the other hand, if you hadn't said that, an entire class of graduating cadets would be out arresting people with perfectly legal out-of-state CWPs... Not a bad outcome if you follow up with Mr. Fraidy Cop who won't call you back to admit he's wrong. How manly is it to hide from the truth? One's own ignorance laid bare? Shameful...

I like to think 'those kind of cops' don't stay in the job long. But this guy claims 15 years... Sad (the system has failed again, probably on purpose, is anybody naive enough to be surprised?). I hope you follow up on it. He needs to read the Law he's rewriting.

Last edited:

calynn

supportpost.jpg

Words of wisdom.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc