• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surf City - Sgt A. Cunio WTF??

razor_baghdad

I know the NC carry laws.......

Here's the situation and be damned all of you who say don't offer up information about 'who you are'. Please don't clutter this thread with your BS. I 'elicit' info as my job, moreso than the popo.

Situation: Waiting outside my new roomies condo complex, chica calls in 'suspicious' person I ['m in a coyote flightsuit with USCG Instructor [contractor] insignia]

Popo pulls up..no sweat...I'm neither OC nor CC as I work on Lejeune {and give up my right to RTKBA] . Popo doesn't ask for anything, I explain to him without ID'ing myself........I live here, just got home from work, don't have a key yet.......all's cool. He goes and talks to the lady who made the complaint and says to her 'If you ever have a problem, the guy you called the in with the complaint is the guy you need to call to solve your problem.

Fast forward.......Sgt Cunio comes back down the stairs and all is right in the world.......he's happy, I'm happy, I met the chica, she's happy, she goes home. I mention the fact [damn to you all who abhor the information act - [and I only did it because he and I had good rapport] that I have a CC from Va.

Sgt Cunio then declares that a CC from Va is not valid in NC..........We did the childish yes it is, no it isn't for a few until I asked him to call his supervisor and ask the supervisor whether a VA CCP is reciprocal in NC.

Here is the surprising answer and dammmmmmned be me for not having my DVR on record and I quote:

'I AM the supervisor on duty and I've been a police officer for 15 years and I know the law. I'm also an instructor at the police academy and we teach the cadets that you must have an NC CCP [and ONLY an NC CCP] to be concealed carry in North Carolina. Each state may have their own laws, but they don't apply here in NC'.

I AM STUNNED AT THIS POINT.

Sgt Cunio promised me after this exchange that he would print and bring to [slide under the door] me the NC statutes for CC in this great state.

I called the Surf City PD a few hours later and they promised me that Sgt Cunio would follow up.

Man to man. LEO to civilian, I really hoped he'd call but he has not. Time to call the Surf City Police Chief.

You would think that the LEO Cadet Instructors / Field Training Officers would be versed in the laws they are sworn to protect AND TEACH. Apparently, notsomuch.

As I'm known here and do not in any way shape form bash LEO's, this is not a bashing, moreso it's educational.

I'm hoping Mr Cunio man's up and admits the fact that he's been wrong for the last 15 years and starts teaching his proteges RTKBA and 2A.

We'll see. Updates to follow.

sultan62

Well, I'm not gonna give you any advice on this one. If you needed it, I doubt you could have figured out how to use a computer.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Spearhead

I got a letter from the North Carolina Attorney General that says Sgt tuff guy is wrong.

"Dear Mr. (Spearhead),
The Attorney General's Office is prohibited by law from providing legal advice to citizens or representing them in any legal matter. However, the specific answer to your question lies in the wording of the Virginia Reciprocity Agreement (enclosed). --J. Aldridge, AAG"
------------------------------------------------------------------
Virginia-N. Carolina Reciprocity Agreement.
"The State of North Carolina will recognize valid Virginia licenses to carry concealed handguns by valid Virginia license holders while said license holders are present in the State of North Carolina."
Is your permit valid? Are you present in the State of North Carolina? Nuff said.

...but they don't apply here in NC'.
They do once the agreement had been made and codified into law...

NCGS 14-415.24 Reciprocity: out-of-state handgun permits
"A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to citizens of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued persuant to this article in the possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state."

NCGS 14-269 Carrying concealed weapons
"It shall be unlawful for any person....to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
(1) The person is on the person's own premises.
(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this chapter or considered valid under G.S 14-415.24" (see G.S 14-415.24 above)

You need to get this addressed ASAP before he gets a whole new posse on the street that he has incorrectly trained that only NC CHP's are valid in NC.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
IMHO - the OP would have done a mite bit better to state the facts with less emotion (ranting?) and follow up as indicated.

It would seem the officer needs educating and there are ways to do that - professionally and courteously. Same as with posting here, a little control goes a long way. IMO calling LEO popo IS LEO bashing.

Don't mean any of this as a personal attack - just simple direct, unsolicited advice.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What is a chica?

If you neither CC nor OC and did not provide ID, why did you mention the VA CHP? I don't see it fitting the conversation one way or the other, so I can't figure out why you brought it up at all.

I'll bet VA did not have reciprocity with NC ten to 15 years ago. We only got "shall issue" in what? 2004? He missed the memo. Too bad he was Mr. I Know the Law, and didn't stop to think the law might have changed since he last heard about it. Now, he has to learn it the embarrassing way. I wonder if the memo didn't come back to him in a flash about five minutes after he drove off.

PS: Your pre-emptive comments against anybody who might criticize you for talking with the police show a little bit more about you than you might realize. And, the tone of those comments. If you reply to this with, "I don't care", you'll only confirm it. In this case, since you actually live there, I kinda doubt anybody would critize you since you are, in a sense, a beneficiary of the cops' activity.

Last edited:

Spearhead

IMO calling LEO popo IS LEO bashing.

Not in mine. I got several uncles and cousins who work for the popo. Popo is just ghetto slang for police. Just like COP is slang for "copper" which was the label in the 20's, or "fuzz" was the label in the 60's. "Popo" is just the 21st century label.

"Pig" is a different story, just like the other usual expletives.
Just my opinion too, but I don't get all puffed up when someone calls them "popo" any more than I do when they call their friends "homies."

Spearhead

I wonder if the memo didn't come back to him in a flash about five minutes after he drove off.

I was thinking the same thing. After he went back to the office and asked around about it, he got informed which is why nothing ever got slid under the door.

What is a chica?

"Chica, noun: A name for a girl, preferably an extremely hot girl, that you find pride in just knowing her.
----->http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chica

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Popo is just ghetto slang for police. .............. "Popo" is just the 21st century label.

You may be right. On the other hand I understood it to be a shortened form of poo poo, as in excrement. Things do change, so maybe that meaning has mean lost.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You may be right. On the other hand I understood it to be a shortened form of poo poo, as in excrement. Things do change, so maybe that meaning has mean lost.

Ahem. Even if he did, calling police by an epithet is hardly cop bashing. The meaning of cop-bashing has long been established on this board as generalized anti-cop commentary.

The OP's use of the word was clearly in relation to one specific cop, so no generalization from that angle. It was not used to bash the individual cop for his membership in a protected (by the forum rules) group, so no bashing from that angle, either.

Were we to apply your definition of cop-bashing, we would be only one step short from any criticism of police being cop bashing. Why, we couldn't even use the words fuzz, pig, or bacon. And, The Man would be only one step away from the censor razor because at some point someone would say it did not show enough respect.

Quit tryin' to change the definition. You're a bit of a wordsmith. You know better. :p:)

Last edited:

sultan62

Posting to add in that my understanding of popo is also simply a slang term, with no intended derogatory meaning attached.

rotorhead

So this guy, who knows the laws, teaches cadets that our permit is a CCP and not a CHP?

Outstanding.

razor_baghdad

So this guy, who knows the laws, teaches cadets that our permit is a CCP and not a CHP?

Outstanding.

Different states use different lingo/acronyms. As he is an LEO, you are absolutely correct, but with his knowledge of concealed carry in general, that wasn't my point in general.

What that tells me is that the 1st [sic-2nd] encounter with cc here in SF will be insightful.

I am now deleting 'popo' from my vocabulary. I'm not a gangsta and meant no disrespect as I don't use the term 'cop' because I find that disrespectful as well. A police officer on patrol has a tough enough job. I try not to add to it or disrespect him.

Grape, I met you at the Reston link-up. I'm not a ranter, I had great rapport with the LEO. He and I ended up laughing with him finally leaving and promising me a paper copy hand delivered to the door, and in all sincerity. He promised me that I would 'get into trouble' if I were to be stopped and found to be 'cc'. At that point I'm thinking 'that cruiser [Dodge Charger] would look great in black and with the keys in my hand'. I was more trying to 'feel' him out and find the Surf City consensus on cc as I'm new and temp here.

I could see him typing in the cruiser as he drove away [if texting is illegal while driving, shouldn't this be, too?]. I'm pretty sure I'll get that paper copy as he seemed like a pretty legit up-front guy.

~~cue popcorn guy~~

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Different states use different lingo/acronyms. As he is an LEO, you are absolutely correct, but with his knowledge of concealed carry in general, that wasn't my point in general.

What that tells me is that the 1st [sic-2nd] encounter with cc here in SF will be insightful.

I am now deleting 'popo' from my vocabulary. I'm not a gangsta and meant no disrespect as I don't use the term 'cop' because I find that disrespectful as well. A police officer on patrol has a tough enough job. I try not to add to it or disrespect him.

Grape, I met you at the Reston link-up. I'm not a ranter, I had great rapport with the LEO. He and I ended up laughing with him finally leaving and promising me a paper copy hand delivered to the door, and in all sincerity. He promised me that I would 'get into trouble' if I were to be stopped and found to be 'cc'. At that point I'm thinking 'that cruiser [Dodge Charger] would look great in black and with the keys in my hand'. I was more trying to 'feel' him out and find the Surf City consensus on cc as I'm new and temp here.

I could see him typing in the cruiser as he drove away [if texting is illegal while driving, shouldn't this be, too?]. I'm pretty sure I'll get that paper copy as he seemed like a pretty legit up-front guy.

~~cue popcorn guy~~

Get a completely different take on this from the above. Maybe it was the way I read the OP and that I was tired 'n weary.

razor_baghdad

I got a letter from the North Carolina Attorney General that says Sgt tuff guy is wrong.

"Dear Mr. (Spearhead),
The Attorney General's Office is prohibited by law from providing legal advice to citizens or representing them in any legal matter. However, the specific answer to your question lies in the wording of the Virginia Reciprocity Agreement (enclosed). --J. Aldridge, AAG"
Virginia-N. Carolina Reciprocity Agreement.
"The State of North Carolina will recognize valid Virginia licenses to carry concealed handguns by valid Virginia license holders while said license holders are present in the State of North Carolina."
Is your permit valid? Are you present in the State of North Carolina? Nuff said.

They do once the agreement had been made and codified into law...

NCGS 14-415.24 Reciprocity: out-of-state handgun permits
"A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina if that state grants the same right to citizens of North Carolina who have valid concealed handgun permits issued persuant to this article in the possession while carrying concealed weapons in that state."

NCGS 14-269 Carrying concealed weapons
"It shall be unlawful for any person....to carry concealed about his person any pistol or gun except in the following circumstances:
(1) The person is on the person's own premises.
(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this chapter or considered valid under G.S 14-415.24" (see G.S 14-415.24 above)

You need to get this addressed ASAP before he gets a whole new posse on the street that he has incorrectly trained that only NC CHP's are valid in NC.

Talked to Sgt Cunio.......tone has changed form 'you are illegal' to 'you should change your residency'.

Ok, got it, but the residency issue still does not invalidate my Va CC permit.

Passed on the NCGS codes to Sgt Cunio.......

Now awaiting a phone call from Topsail PD Sheriff Handgun Instructor Lt McNight and a phone call from DMV Agent Morris.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

What is a chica?

If you neither CC nor OC and did not provide ID, why did you mention the VA CHP? I don't see it fitting the conversation one way or the other, so I can't figure out why you brought it up at all.

I'll bet VA did not have reciprocity with NC ten to 15 years ago. We only got "shall issue" in what? 2004? He missed the memo. Too bad he was Mr. I Know the Law, and didn't stop to think the law might have changed since he last heard about it. Now, he has to learn it the embarrassing way. I wonder if the memo didn't come back to him in a flash about five minutes after he drove off.

PS: Your pre-emptive comments against anybody who might criticize you for talking with the police show a little bit more about you than you might realize. And, the tone of those comments. If you reply to this with, "I don't care", you'll only confirm it. In this case, since you actually live there, I kinda doubt anybody would critize you since you are, in a sense, a beneficiary of the cops' activity.

Got my CCW in VA back in 2001. Had reciprocity with NC then. For the life of me, can't figure out why VA and CO don't. CO has somewhat tougher requirements--VA takes a DD-214 from any year; CO only last 5 to bypass the BS training requirements.
It is incredible that a Sgt is so ignorant of the law. Especially from a neighboring state. Well, no it's not 'incredible.' It's par for the course...

Last edited:

razor_baghdad

Got my CCW in VA back in 2001. Had reciprocity with NC then. For the life of me, can't figure out why VA and CO don't. CO has somewhat tougher requirements--VA takes a DD-214 from any year; CO only last 5 to bypass the BS training requirements.
It is incredible that a Sgt is so ignorant of the law. Especially from a neighboring state. Well, no it's not 'incredible.' It's par for the course...

Got a call from Top Sail Lt Mcnight. He says he talked to 'the powers that be' and the powers that be say that when you change residency, you must change cc residency as well.

BS.

My Va permit is valid until until 2400hrs/5 yrs from issue date.

No where in the NCGS statutes is residency addressed. Point of contention and possibly 'lawsuit' later, not that I'm looking for that kind of legal trouble.

This needs to be addressed and fixed, and I'm on it.

The coastal LEO's are about to find that RTKBA and cc laws are written in stone and based on the Constitution, not on whims and 'hearsay'.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Got a call from Top Sail Lt Mcnight. He says he talked to 'the powers that be' and the powers that be say that when you change residency, you must change cc residency as well.

BS.

My Va permit is valid until until 2400hrs/5 yrs from issue date.

No where in the NCGS statutes is residency addressed. Point of contention and possibly 'lawsuit' later, not that I'm looking for that kind of legal trouble.

This needs to be addressed and fixed, and I'm on it.

The coastal LEO's are about to find that RTKBA and cc laws are written in stone and based on the Constitution, not on whims and 'hearsay'.

Are you active duty military with Va as your permanent residence?

If not, there are several complicating issues here. Many states require one to get a new state driving license within X number of days of moving there. Since the Va CHP requires that an approved picture ID be presented with it - a NC drivers license and NC tags might put a serious kink in how a court might view a Va resident CHP. Obviously there are ways of taking care of that.

edrolee

i have 2 thoughts on this

first, have you, are you allowed to not, change your residency to NC? i know some Federal Gov't employees (military) and students attending a college are not required to change their residency when they move on a temporary basis

second, since there is reciprocity with VA how would the state of NC handle a transfer of CHP if you did transfer residency to NC..... marriage birth, and death are universally recognized in the US through reciprocity without the need to transfer paperwork, DL require some paper work but the amount of retesting depends on the state that you are coming from, so i just wonder how one would go about changing your CHP from state to state