• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to board, new to carrying at all. Living in Tooele

Calebcom

Hello,

I wanted to introduce myself to the board. I am an alaskan moved to utah a few years back.

As a soon to be first time father I made the investment in my families security in a Beretta 90-Two. I love the pistol, having put a few hundred rounds through it in the week I have had it.

I've been a gun owner since I was given my first .22 when I was 12 years old, though it's always been long arms.

I am highly considering openly carrying, my personal belief is the open presence of deadly force will be discouragement to mess with me or my wife, who will be carrying when she turns 21, we're looking at a little .32 auto for her tiny hands.

I'm mostly hoping to make contacts in the Tooele Grantsville area with regards to OC and general love of firearms.

jpm84092

Welcome Calebcom,

I welcome you to the Utah Open Carry Forum and wish you the best as you "Carry ON'.

As your time here in Utah increases, and should you choose to carry concealed, please allow me to recommend the forum www.utahconcealedcarry.com as a source for information. There are several Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructors (including myself) on this forum and the one referenced above that are very well qualified to give you the requisite instruction needed to apply for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

Both the open carry forum and the concealed carry forum folks do often host "meet and greet" events and we would love to have you join us to "break bread" and get acquainted.

Again my friend, Welcome to this forum and Carry On - Proudly Carry ON

cdrhoad

Why wait till she's 21?

Go get her a gun as a Valentines gift and she can carry with you!
You have to be 21 to purchase a handgun but not to own one. In addition, Open Carry of a "Utah Unloaded" gun is perfectly legal for someone 18 and older to do. Just keep away from those pesky school zones. She is also legal to have a loaded gun in her vehicle home or camp (RV or Tent)
Good on you for carrying! I would reccomend you take a Utah concealed carry course for, at the least, to familiarize yourself with the laws.

Calebcom

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am definitely interested in getting my CFP, I've been researching and familiarizing myself with the laws so I'm not a complete gumbo when I start carrying open, before I get a CFP.

This is true, but with a new kid on the way, we only had the monies for 1 handgun for now. I might push it up to Christmas though.

I am very open to suggestions for an instructor for CFP, if anyone near or in Tooele is running a class a PM with information would be appreciated! :D

Last edited:

Calebcom

I've registered for a class at one of the local sporting goods stores for CFP. Dave's Shoot n' Sports!

I actually just did my first open carry today, short trip out to Wal-Mart in Tooele and back. I made sure it was entirely visible and no round in the chamber. I don't think anyone noticed I was carrying.

Michael Hopkins

I've registered for a class at one of the local sporting goods stores for CFP. Dave's Shoot n' Sports!

I actually just did my first open carry today, short trip out to Wal-Mart in Tooele and back. I made sure it was entirely visible and no round in the chamber. I don't think anyone noticed I was carrying.

Would that happen to be "Doug's" on Redwood in Taylorsville? If so, I took my class there towards the end on January. Was a good experience overall, even though the instructor was a little behind on current carry laws. :irony: But, at least he was willing to say "I'm not sure."

k31

from tooele

im a tooele resident for the next little bit. walmart here has never said any thing to me i carry open concealed and half between. never had a bad experience with it, i do have a friend in the slpd and he eyeballed it but never said any thing. hope you like tooele not much happens here.

utbagpiper

Banned
Welcome to the area, and to lawful possession/carrying of a self-defense firearm.

And congrats on deciding to take the permit class. The information on use of deadly force, off-limits locations, etc is very valuable even if you elect not to get a permit. If you do get a permit you'll find that carrying (OC or otherwise) is a lot less hassle. You don't have to worry about school zones, you can be fully loaded if you choose, and if you do want to let your jacket fall over your holster it is not a crime. With any luck and a little work, some/many of these things will not be a crime even without a permit in the near future. But you may not want to wait that long.

May I also encourage you to get involved with local politics? Ultimately, our gun laws are a reflection of how the electorate votes. And every pro-RKBA/pro-carry person who gets involved adds to our strength.

First, I encourage you to get informed on RKBA political issues. Sign up for free email alerts from GOUtah! by PMing me or visiting www.goutahorg.org . Also give serious consideration to joining the Utah Shooting Sports Council (USSC). http://utahshootingsports.com/ .

Then, get involved in the political party of your choice. Utah's caucus/convention/primary system gives average voters tremendous power to effect elective outcomes. Ousting a gun-grabber in convention or primary is a great feeling and makes it that much easier to pass good bills the next session.

If your personal political views lean toward third party, I encourage you to be involved with either the Democrats or GOP as well. That is where you can really effect the outcome of elections and help advance RKBA in Utah.

Welcome.

Charles
GOUtah!

Calebcom

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes it was Doug's, I was very tired when I posted that!

I am definitely looking at becoming more active politically when it comes to gun rights, I've had many people looking at me as I carry around tooele and into salt lake. Many of my friends have questioned me, I've directed a few here as a good resource, hopefully they read and become more open and curious about open and concealed carry of a self defense tool.

As I'm between jobs I'm looking at industries to work, and I've found myself coming across quite a few postings for armed security jobs. Does anyone know where I would start in applying/training for an armed security card?