• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB1439 - expanding right to use deadly force

hrdware

Link to text of HB1439

This bill adds language so use of deadly for force in a place of business is specifically mentioned in the statute.

This bill was heard by by the Judiciary committee on 2/14/2010 and was voted by all as Do Pass As Amended.

At this time I can not find what the amendments are. When I do, I will post them here.

Last edited:

hrdware

The original HB1439 had language in it such that you would not be able to use deadly force against someone who "...had the right to be in the place of business or the person against whom the defensive force is used is the owner, manager, or an employee of the business;"

This language has been removed.

hrdware

House to vote today

HB1439 has been added to the General Order of business for the House Agenda for today, February 16, 2011. I believe the house will go into session around 1:30 this afternoon. Anyone interested in contacting their representative, here is a list. If you don't know who your representative is, there is a link on the left side of the page that will allow you to find out.

hrdware

Learn something new everyday

So it appears that once a bill goes in to the General Order of House business, they can take it up any time within the next 15 days. So after being in session for 15 minuets today, the house adjourned until 9am tomorrow morning.

Mirge

So it appears that once a bill goes in to the General Order of House business, they can take it up any time within the next 15 days. So after being in session for 15 minuets today, the house adjourned until 9am tomorrow morning.

So they have 15 days to make a decision?

hrdware

It is on the calendar for tomorrow, the 17th.

It was on the calendar for today, the 16th as well. It can ride around in the General Order for up to 15 days before it has to go back to committee. They just have to handle it before 3/3.