• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registered sex offenders can get closer to CA's primary schools than open carriers

wayneco

How is it possible that a 1000' rule applies to non-felons carrying weapons but registered sex offenders can loiter at the property line of school properties and that's OK?

CRIME
Sex offender not arrested after loitering outside school
TAGS: Paul Revere Elementary School san francisco San Francisco Police Department sex offender
By: Mike Aldax 02/15/11 4:00 AM
Examiner Staff Writer
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/cri...r-not-arrested-after-loitering-outside-school

San Francisco Police officers had to let a man who was causing a disturbance outside a school go because he was not doing anything illegal, according to the Police Department’s sex offender unit. (Examiner file photo)
Last week, police responded to a call at Paul Revere Elementary School about a middle-aged man who was creating a disturbance just outside the schoolyard. When officers arrived, the man was “running around” acting strangely — and was shirtless, police said.

The odd behavior wasn’t the only cause for concern. Police soon discovered the man, who cops declined to identify, was a registered sex offender. But cops had to let the man go because he was not doing anything illegal, according to the Police Department’s sexual offender unit.

“He never went onto the school grounds … and he never attempted to make contact with the kids,” said Inspector James Serna of the Police Department’s sexual offender unit.

The man has had to register as a sex offender due to a misdemeanor sexual battery conviction in 2001, Serna said.

Lorraine Orlandi, co-president of the Parent Teachers Association at Paul Revere, said parents were concerned about the shirtless man’s antics. But she said the police dealt with the situation and that there is no fear on campus that the man would harm children.

“Obviously, I wouldn’t want our children to be exposed,” Orlandi said, adding that there would be cause for concern if the man had attempted to come in contact with the children. “The police came, they handled it, and I don’t think we could prevent people from walking past the school.”

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Law and Disorder
CRIME BLOG
Sex offender warned about being disruptive near schoolyard
TAGS: law and disorder Paul Revere Elementary School san francisco San Francisco Police Department sex crimes unit SFPD
By: Mike Aldax 02/10/11 3:02 PM
Examiner Staff Writer
http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law...warned-about-being-disruptive-near-schoolyard

A registered sex offender has been warned by cops to stop disrupting children in a Bernal Heights schoolyard.

Police were called to Paul Revere Elementary School at 555 Tompkins Ave. around 1:15 p.m. Wednesday on a report that a man was creating a disturbance. When cops arrived, the man was shirtless, according to Ingleside Station police.

A school counselor told cops the man had also come to the school on Tuesday and was “acting erratically and disrupting” the children, police said.

Cops discovered the man was a registered sex offender, then called the Police Department’s Sex Crimes Unit. They were told the man’s behavior did not violate the law, police said.

The man received a warning, police said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com

realityfatality

How is it possible that a 1000' rule applies to non-felons carrying weapons but registered sex offenders can loiter at the property line of school properties and that's OK?

CRIME
Sex offender not arrested after loitering outside school
TAGS: Paul Revere Elementary School san francisco San Francisco Police Department sex offender
By: Mike Aldax 02/15/11 4:00 AM
Examiner Staff Writer
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/cri...r-not-arrested-after-loitering-outside-school

San Francisco Police officers had to let a man who was causing a disturbance outside a school go because he was not doing anything illegal, according to the Police Department’s sex offender unit. (Examiner file photo)
Last week, police responded to a call at Paul Revere Elementary School about a middle-aged man who was creating a disturbance just outside the schoolyard. When officers arrived, the man was “running around” acting strangely — and was shirtless, police said.

The odd behavior wasn’t the only cause for concern. Police soon discovered the man, who cops declined to identify, was a registered sex offender. But cops had to let the man go because he was not doing anything illegal, according to the Police Department’s sexual offender unit.

“He never went onto the school grounds … and he never attempted to make contact with the kids,” said Inspector James Serna of the Police Department’s sexual offender unit.

The man has had to register as a sex offender due to a misdemeanor sexual battery conviction in 2001, Serna said.

Lorraine Orlandi, co-president of the Parent Teachers Association at Paul Revere, said parents were concerned about the shirtless man’s antics. But she said the police dealt with the situation and that there is no fear on campus that the man would harm children.

“Obviously, I wouldn’t want our children to be exposed,” Orlandi said, adding that there would be cause for concern if the man had attempted to come in contact with the children. “The police came, they handled it, and I don’t think we could prevent people from walking past the school.”

maldax@sfexaminer.com

Law and Disorder
CRIME BLOG
Sex offender warned about being disruptive near schoolyard
TAGS: law and disorder Paul Revere Elementary School san francisco San Francisco Police Department sex crimes unit SFPD
By: Mike Aldax 02/10/11 3:02 PM
Examiner Staff Writer
http://www.sfexaminer.com/blogs/law...warned-about-being-disruptive-near-schoolyard

A registered sex offender has been warned by cops to stop disrupting children in a Bernal Heights schoolyard.

Police were called to Paul Revere Elementary School at 555 Tompkins Ave. around 1:15 p.m. Wednesday on a report that a man was creating a disturbance. When cops arrived, the man was shirtless, according to Ingleside Station police.

A school counselor told cops the man had also come to the school on Tuesday and was “acting erratically and disrupting” the children, police said.

Cops discovered the man was a registered sex offender, then called the Police Department’s Sex Crimes Unit. They were told the man’s behavior did not violate the law, police said.

The man received a warning, police said.

maldax@sfexaminer.com
IANAL
I think that is a very well thought out argument. I'm not aware of california state law regarding trgistered sex offenders and school zones but I think the open carry school restriction is just in place so if a round were fired the school is far enough away that a stray bullet won't hit a kid in school. However I think an open carrier were to draw and use their weapon, he/she would have thought out all likely scenarios and took the risks into consideration before firing their firearm and knew it was the only resort and every round would probably hit the intended target.

However if you talk to the sheeple and parents at the school I bet they will say something along the lines of: "why do you need THAT here?!?!" Or "only law enforcement should have guns!" And of course law makers had to throw in a few guidelines for OCer's to keep the liberals happy. Because waiting 7 minutes for 1 squad car is safer than an armed citizen packing an unloaded firearm on school grounds (sarcasm). Especially when pedophiles are running off with your kids stuffed in their pants because you have an unloaded handgun in a locked box inside your trunk as per california state law.

Last edited: