• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peaceable Journey laws for MO-TX road trip...???

kellogg2185

So my dad and his wife are taking a trip from Missouri to Texas, and driving the whole way. My dad wants to bring his S&W .357 with him for the trip, which is understandable, but also is worried about the various states gun laws. He leaves on Friday, driving through Arkansas, then Oklahoma, and finally to Texas. He just wants to make sure he's not doing anything illegal. I'm pretty good on local and MO state law, but rusty on the others. Does "peaceable journey" cover him in these states? And what is the best way for him to "carry" it in the vehicle? If he has to have it locked/unloaded, that sort of defeats the purpose. Also, he doesn't have a CCW, if that matters for any of those states (in MO it isn't considered "concealed" while in a car, loaded or otherwise). Thanks in advance for any help guys. Will look up the laws state by state myself as well, but any help is appreciated.

hrdware

OK transport

In Oklahoma it has to be unloaded, but not locked up.

Title 21, section 1289.7
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

rodbender

In Texas he can carry it in the vehicle without a license, loaded, one in the pipe, but it has to be concealed at all times. Not visible from outside the vehicle.

Oh yeah, Tell him he will have to leave it in the car when they stop to eat or get gas or whatever, it must remain in the vehicle if he doesn't have a conceal license.

Last edited:

clutchmaster2005

Hi, I'm actually making the same journey although I'm traveling to Texas from Illinois. I have my ccw license from another state. Does anyone know how I can proceed with bringing my gun from Illinois to Texas? I'm bringing my. 38 special revolver. I carry often in missouri because I work in the city. I know in Illinois we have no carry so I'm transporting it unloaded, encased, and with my foid card. What about when I am traveling from Missouri to Texas with my ccw?

Thanks for the help.

Mike.

kcgunfan

As long as you are 21 and legally able to carry it, you may carry any concealable weapon however you want in your car according to MO state law (with full preemption.)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

OldCurlyWolf

Hi, I'm actually making the same journey although I'm traveling to Texas from Illinois. I have my ccw license from another state. Does anyone know how I can proceed with bringing my gun from Illinois to Texas? I'm bringing my. 38 special revolver. I carry often in missouri because I work in the city. I know in Illinois we have no carry so I'm transporting it unloaded, encased, and with my foid card. What about when I am traveling from Missouri to Texas with my ccw?

Thanks for the help.

Mike.

Check your original post on this subject.