• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MO-TX road trip, and Peaceable Journey laws...???

kellogg2185

So my dad and his wife are taking a trip from Missouri to Texas, and driving the whole way. My dad wants to bring his S&W .357 with him for the trip, which is understandable, but also is worried about the various states gun laws. He leaves on Friday, driving through Arkansas, then Oklahoma, and finally to Texas. He just wants to make sure he's not doing anything illegal. I'm pretty good on local and MO state law, but rusty on the others. Does "peaceable journey" cover him in these states? And what is the best way for him to "carry" it in the vehicle? If he has to have it locked/unloaded, that sort of defeats the purpose. Also, he doesn't have a CCW, if that matters for any of those states (in MO it isn't considered "concealed" while in a car, loaded or otherwise). Thanks in advance for any help guys. Will look up the laws state by state myself as well, but any help is appreciated.

cshoff

Title 18 Section 926(a). The peaceable journey law:

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

kellogg2185

Yeah, I'm familiar with that, but it only applies to an unloaded weapon. As he's wanting to carry it for self defense, an unloaded/locked up/not easily accessible weapon is about as useless as saying,"Time-out!"... I didn't know if we had any commercial truck drivers, or other people who travel (by road) a lot for work that had some advice. Thanks though.

cash50

Why don't you ask these questions in the Oklahoma and Texas forums? I bet they'll know offhand.

cshoff

Yeah, I'm familiar with that, but it only applies to an unloaded weapon. As he's wanting to carry it for self defense, an unloaded/locked up/not easily accessible weapon is about as useless as saying,"Time-out!"... I didn't know if we had any commercial truck drivers, or other people who travel (by road) a lot for work that had some advice. Thanks though.

You asked for peaceable journey laws, which is what I provided. If you want to transport the firearm loaded, you can disregard Federal law as your loaded gun will be subject to the laws of the state through which you are traveling. Your dad will need to check the state laws for EVERY state he plans on traveling in/through. There is no other way to find the information you are seeking. I would probably start at http://www.handgunlaw.us/.

flb_78

No car carry in Arkansas or Oklahoma without a license.

Arkansas has a very vague law about being on a "journey" and being able to carry without a license. It's most likely he would be arrested and would have to prove his innocence in front of a judge.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75214-Passing-Through-Handgun-Laws

He can carry it in his vehicle in Texas loaded but it must be concealed.

While he is in Arkansas and Oklahoma, he should have any firearm unloaded and out of the driver's reach, preferably in the trunk of a car.

Last edited: