• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO Press Release - Senator Greg Ever’s Open Carry Bill is Not Enough!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
OpenCarry.org
(A pro-gun Internet community of over 24,000 registered members)

For Immediate Release – February 15, 2011

---------

Senator Greg Ever’s Open Carry Bill is Not Enough

OpenCarry.org Calls on the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice to Remove the License Requirement from the Open Carry Bill

---------

Next week the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice will hold a hearing on Senator Greg Evers’ SB 234 which would decriminalize the open carry of properly holstered handguns in Florida. Unfortunately the bill merely allows open carry by those who possess a “Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License” or a similar state issued permit accepted by Florida.

“Our constitutional tradition does not tolerate licensing schemes to exercise fundamental rights,” says John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, “so why should gun owners have to pay for and carry a license just to open carry?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” adds Pierce, “I think Senator Ever’s bill is a step in the right direction, but why go for half measures when Florida’s Governor Rick Scott ran for office in part on the open carry issue and stands ready to sign a full strength open carry rights restoration bill?”

Florida is one of only 7 states banning open carry, along with Illinois, New York, South Carolina, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Of the 43 states allowing open carry, 29 states allow open carry in public without any license, and Oklahoma is widely expected to raise this number to 30 this year.

OpenCarry.org calls on the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice to amend SB 234 to remove the license requirement from the open carry bill. “Open carry is a right not a privilege, emphasizes Mr. Pierce, “and our members who live in or visit Florida will be reminding the Committee of this important American value.”

“Besides,” continues Pierce, “an FBI study concluded that criminals rarely open carry,” and “police in Georgia recently confirmed an instance of open carriers deterring an armed robbery of a Wafflehouse just by open carrying while eating some chicken fried steak and short stacks.”

Unlicensed open carry was legal for most of the Sunshine state’s history, and it’s high time the right was fully restored. SB 234 must be amended to fully restore the **right** to open carry.
Carry on!
###

Media Contact:

John Pierce, co-founder and spokesperson, OpenCarry.org, John at OpenCarry.org

77zach

I wish

Undoubtedly, getting rid of the licensing requirement is necessary, but I'm not sure it's possible at this point. We may not even get this out of committee with the license requirement as apparently no one knows what Senator Dean thinks of the bill. We're wasting time emailing the other 4 members who have already made up their minds- 2 for and 2 against. I will write senator evers again, who would like it to be unlicensed, and see if he thinks Dean or others will vote for it down the line if such an amendment were put in. I'd rather Florida be a green state than a red state. And if goes green, I think there is a strong possibility that it will go gold while Scott is still in office.

bobthegunslinger

unlicensed carry

has anyone made a copy and paste type message that we could do to contact our senators letting them know our position?i would get right onto emailing them!i`am a ccw;but i believe in the unlicensed carry as what is constitutional!:banana:

77zach

has anyone made a copy and paste type message that we could do to contact our senators letting them know our position?i would get right onto emailing them!i`am a ccw;but i believe in the unlicensed carry as what is constitutional!:banana:

I just emailed Dockery and Evers, the cosponsors, again. I linked to the open carry map and said that all states in gold and brown recognize the right to open carry and Florida should too. I told them to discuss this with Senator Dean as he is the one who needs to be convinced for this first committee hurdle. I also told them the governor supports it.

Wow, I'm not holding my breath but it would be awesome if it could be passed. Just a few years ago, I couldn't have even imagined an open carry bill being introduced, even licensed! I'm very happy to be proved wrong!

~*'Phoenix'*~

I agree we should have constitutional open carry, but let's pick out battles

Yes, it would be great if we could do away with licensing. But, you know what, I already got the license. The fee is obnoxious, but theey do perform backgroud checks, fingerprints, license printing etc. I'm going on good faith that they actually keep criminals and under-prepared-wannabe-bigshots from misusing guns.
I say we pick our battles. Let's win this one as-is, let our opponents see we are graceful winners, we don't abuse our rights/privileges. Once the dust has settled, then we try to finish getting the rest of our rights back.
Let's not squander our biggest step in the right direction in two-decades just because it isn't big enough.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I know criminals do and will continue to carry guns. I'm not saying any law helps stop law-breakers from carrying against us. Let me clarify - I just mean that I believe the background check system will keep those with criminal records from getting carry licenses. They'll still be carrying illegally, but there are some up and downsides to the licenses. Of course I would prefer they aren't required, but it gives some way of know those who get lisences are making an effort to show we wish to carry legally. (even though we shouldn't have to) I'm just saying we should be polite and push for our rights one step at a time

Kingfish

I know criminals do and will continue to carry guns. I'm not saying any law helps stop law-breakers from carrying against us. Let me clarify - I just mean that I believe the background check system will keep those with criminal records from getting carry licenses. They'll still be carrying illegally, but there are some up and downsides to the licenses. Of course I would prefer they aren't required, but it gives some way of know those who get lisences are making an effort to show we wish to carry legally. (even though we shouldn't have to) I'm just saying we should be polite and push for our rights one step at a time
You make some valid points and are articulate. I do disagree and believe that a permit system does anything besides infringe upon a RIGHT and supply a revenue stream.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Laws and Licenses don't keep dangerous people from driving, either.

All it shows is a willingness to bend over for The Man. Pay money, beg for permission, be registered, act like an Only One if you're too dense to have figured it out.

I see your point, but your point is invalid.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Sorry, didn't know we were an all-or-nothing only group

I agree with you on removing lisencing requirements, at the least for open carry, but no they shouldn't be required at all. I would just rather get this passed so we can have open carry, w/ or w/o requirements, relax with our concealed carry, and be able to defend ourselves on and to/from campus (important to me as a graduate student).
I would rather have this passed as is, let the dust settle, and work on removing licenses from a better tactical position in the near future, rather than risk the whole bill dying.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Because the constitution doesn't say anything about lisences being required. They keep BGs from getting lisences, but I know they'll still get guns regardless, so I just want my open carry option...

emsjeep

OpenCarry.org
(A pro-gun Internet community of over 24,000 registered members)

For Immediate Release – February 15, 2011

---------

Senator Greg Ever’s Open Carry Bill is Not Enough

OpenCarry.org Calls on the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice to Remove the License Requirement from the Open Carry Bill

---------

Next week the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice will hold a hearing on Senator Greg Evers’ SB 234 which would decriminalize the open carry of properly holstered handguns in Florida. Unfortunately the bill merely allows open carry by those who possess a “Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License” or a similar state issued permit accepted by Florida.

“Our constitutional tradition does not tolerate licensing schemes to exercise fundamental rights,” says John Pierce, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, “so why should gun owners have to pay for and carry a license just to open carry?”

“Don’t get me wrong,” adds Pierce, “I think Senator Ever’s bill is a step in the right direction, but why go for half measures when Florida’s Governor Rick Scott ran for office in part on the open carry issue and stands ready to sign a full strength open carry rights restoration bill?”

Florida is one of only 7 states banning open carry, along with Illinois, New York, South Carolina, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma. Of the 43 states allowing open carry, 29 states allow open carry in public without any license, and Oklahoma is widely expected to raise this number to 30 this year.

OpenCarry.org calls on the Florida Senate Committee on Criminal Justice to amend SB 234 to remove the license requirement from the open carry bill. “Open carry is a right not a privilege, emphasizes Mr. Pierce, “and our members who live in or visit Florida will be reminding the Committee of this important American value.”

“Besides,” continues Pierce, “an FBI study concluded that criminals rarely open carry,” and “police in Georgia recently confirmed an instance of open carriers deterring an armed robbery of a Wafflehouse just by open carrying while eating some chicken fried steak and short stacks.”

Unlicensed open carry was legal for most of the Sunshine state’s history, and it’s high time the right was fully restored. SB 234 must be amended to fully restore the **right** to open carry.
Carry on!
###

Media Contact:

John Pierce, co-founder and spokesperson, OpenCarry.org, John at OpenCarry.org

New York doesn't ban OC outright, it is made illegal by baseless and illegal enforcement by NYS LE agencies. It is tolerated in some upstate counties.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I agree with you on removing lisencing requirements, at the least for open carry, but no they shouldn't be required at all. I would just rather get this passed so we can have open carry, w/ or w/o requirements, relax with our concealed carry, and be able to defend ourselves on and to/from campus (important to me as a graduate student).
I would rather have this passed as is, let the dust settle, and work on removing licenses from a better tactical position in the near future, rather than risk the whole bill dying.

The 'baby steps' idea is interesting, and I used to subscribe to it. We lose Freedoms a little at a time, but I've never seen a Freedom restored that same way.

Usually, people revolt when the chipping away has gone way way way too far, and they take the whole mess back by force. Our Nation is divided by Special interests and Only Ones who pose as champions of Protecting Rights; but only for certain classes, not everyone.

The United States is a failed Nation because it's Citizens can't be bothered to think about that problem. OC is just a subsection of a larger problem.

This is a symbolic revolt. It's not actually doing anything.

Alexcabbie

Well, at least with this adjustment Florida folks with concealed permits won't have to worry so darn much that their heat isn't showing. A breeze blowing one's shirt open won't land you in jail the way it might now. As long as the bill iimproves the situation, doing something that might kill it altogether is in my opinion unadvisable.

That said, however, Floridans should do their calling, writing and Emailing and push to get full OC restored in Florida.

The possibility of retaurant carry in Ohio is a fond hope of mine since I grew up in the Dayton area and was appalled that on my last visit I had to secure my weapon in the trunk before dining at the Frickers in Huber Heights and still had a cop come up to me asking about the empty holster on my belt.

pricedo

I'll take any amount of additional freedom as another step to universal 2A

There's only one question worth answering about this situation.

Will Floridia gun owers be freer after the bill passes than before?

If the answer is YES then I'm in favor of it.

By the same token I'd accept a $20 lottery win..........I'd rather it be $20,000,000 but I'll take the $20 for now.

That doesn't mean I quit buying lottery tickets or fighting for more gun freedom.

Let's put our reality hats on.........it's not very often in life that you achieve all your goals at once. Why would it be any different with gun rights activism??

Last edited:

KennyPro

Email sent to Government officials- note the last words

SUBJECT: Remove license requirement to open carry in SB 234!

Dear Senator:

I support Senate Bill 234, but urge you to remove the license requirement to open carry.

Most states allow open carry without the need for a license. But in Florida, open carry is outright banned, even when on the private property of another who gives you permission to open carry!

A license is not needed to exercise any other right in the Bill of Rights, so now's not the time to do this for the Second Amendment in Florida.

Sincerely,

Kenneth & Nancy Prosch, 15161 Sonoma Dr. Fort Myers , Fl. 33908 - 239-313-**** ----- Proud Americans, WE VOTE!

rpyne

The 'baby steps' idea is interesting, and I used to subscribe to it. We lose Freedoms a little at a time, but I've never seen a Freedom restored that same way.

"Baby steps" is exactly how we have and are succeeding in Utah to regain our firearms freedoms. When I got involved 20+ years ago, Utah was a may issue with cause state and every city and county had their own gun control laws. Are our laws perfect? No, but we have come far enough to be given a zero score by the Brady Campaign and it is looking good for passage of a Constitutional Carry law this year and we are the first and almost only state to allow campus carry. Also on the docket for this year are bills to narrow the definition of a school and to eliminate the 1000 foot zone.

MackTheKnife

It's time, now!

Yes, it would be great if we could do away with licensing. But, you know what, I already got the license. The fee is obnoxious, but theey do perform backgroud checks, fingerprints, license printing etc. I'm going on good faith that they actually keep criminals and under-prepared-wannabe-bigshots from misusing guns.
I say we pick our battles. Let's win this one as-is, let our opponents see we are graceful winners, we don't abuse our rights/privileges. Once the dust has settled, then we try to finish getting the rest of our rights back.
Let's not squander our biggest step in the right direction in two-decades just because it isn't big enough.

When is it ever the right time? The CWP law was passed originally with an OC provision sans permit and then rescinded the next year. That was in 1987. How much longer do we need to wait? A constitutional right, both Federal and Florida, does not need to wait any longer. It's just too bad that we need a permit to carry concealed in most states, let alone OC. BTW, it's a RIGHT, not a privilege.

Last edited:

MackTheKnife

I am surprised an dismayed

Some of the threads articulated here advocate incrementalism. This failed our federal government in Vietnam and has failed at other levels as well. It is time to press on for OC WITHOUT a permit, background check, whatever. I would love to carry OC in FL as I can in VA. I think that since the passage of the "shall issue" law back in 1987, we have waited long enough for someone in the legislature to get this bill through committee and the full body. FL is frequently cited as a state that saw violent crime drop after concealed carry was passed. Let's be the state that show's a further crime drop after Open Carry, WITHOUT A LICENSE, is passed!