• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Bloomberg Edition 1911

Jayd1981

I got the opportunity to have my 1911 refinished for free. A friend is trying to start duracoating firearms so I let him use my 1911 to start his portfolio. Was going for the bloomberg edition look. The color is actually OSHA Blue with the accessories done in gloss black. What do you guys think?

1911.jpg

amlevin

How's well do they function after dura coat?

Drua coat doesn't affect the operation at all. Sliding/mating surfaces are not usually coated, just the exposed parts. I've got a couple of pistols that are Duracoated and they work just fine. It can chip if the weapon is dropped though, especially at the sharp edges.

skiingislife725

Perfect! Although to be a true Bloomberg edition...well...here's my hasty mockup.

1911.jpg

Edit to add: didn't realize Bloomberg edition wasn't referring to everyone's favorite mayor...lol oh well

Last edited:

amlevin

Whats the rough cost of getting a 1911 sprayed?

$16.50 in an Aerosol Can from Brownells. You can do it yourself. Lots of people will strip the parts down and wet sand for good adhesion. Can also bead blast using fine glass beads. If you don't like aerosol cans Brownells also sells duracoat in 4oz or 8 oz containers that you can apply using an airbrush. They run from $10-$25 for guns adequate for this kind of job.

De-greaseing can be as simple as running the parts through the dishwasher.

amlevin

Thats kinda the point of the "Bloomberg Edition" guns. I know its controversial, but its still different, some what unique, and just something you don't see, which is why I wanted it done that way.

bloombergguns.jpg

This concept has been around for a long time. Here's some examples of what you see Drug Dealers and Pimps carrying in Mexico:

PimpMyGunZapopan-001.jpg

To each his own.

Last edited: