Thread: Stand your ground

Stand your ground

Which states have a "stand your ground" doctrine? Any of them better than others? I would like to use this info when contacting my representatives.

FL is the only one that has "stand your ground" in those exact words, but several states have good castle doctrine laws. This isn't something I've researched much, but I know FL, TX, and CO have it. I do not know about other states off the top of my head.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thumbs up Summary Of States With The Castle Doctrine

http://tekel.wordpress.com/2007/10/0...state-summary/

I can't vouch for the accuracy but here it is. Florida is the best in my opinion. I lived in Florida when we passed it and it is great. Can't be sued in civil court nor can you be arrested for defending yourself or your loved one. That is the way it should be nation wide.

Lightbulb Link To Florida Castle Doctine

I just emailed my Senator & Representative, told them we need a Castle Doctrine now & included the link to the Florida law.

Thanks rcawdor57 for posting that.
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 02-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

I know Wikipedia isn't the be all, end all, but if you look under "Adoption by States" in this article, it seems to have a pretty comprehensive list. There is also a doctrinal break down further down the article.

Mike
    When I told you you needed to trouble-shoot your PC, I didn't mean load it with .45 lead when Windows blew up again.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I like it!

Cool Utah - Some of the Best Gun Laws in the USA

In answer to the OP question:

Utah has a "no duty to retreat from any place you may lawfully be" law. Utah law offers limited protection against civil suit by the Bad Guy (or survivors), but not if you cause collateral damage (shoot at bad guy, miss, and hit 5 school children waiting at the bus stop). A recent change to UT law also protects the Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor who signed off on the UT training requirement.

Utah Castle Doctrine extends to your "home" (could be a cardboard box if you are homeless, or your tent, camper, RV, etc). Utah law assumes that anyone trying to break into your "home" is doing so to cause murder and mayhem and you may use deadly force to prevent the bad guy from committing a "forceable felony" (burglary to an occupied home or occupied vehicle is a considered to be a forceable felony under UT law).

Utah's Castle Doctrine also extends to your automobile (or truck or whatever vehicle you use to get around on). In UT you can carry, open or concealed, "loaded" within the meaning of Utah law (Condition 1) in your car; including in the GFSZ areas. To leave your car with a firearm if you do not have a Concealed Firearm Permit, you may carry open and "unloaded" under Utah Law ((no round in the chamber (and adjacent chamber if a revolver) and two actions to fire)) or in Condition 1, open or concealed, if you have a Concealed Firearm Permit issued by any State. You cannot carry in a GFSZ unless you have a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (the part about a permit from any State has not yet been tested in the courts with respect to the GFSZ, but there is a Bill pending in the UT legislature to declare the "school zone" to be the buildings and school owned grounds only). The exemption to the GFSZ law applies only to schools that receive public funds or are public. Private schools may restrict carry on school grounds, but the 1000' perimeter does not apply if you have a Concealed Firearm Permit.

Please take note: I am not a lawyer in Utah or any other State and do not play one on TV. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. My posts reflect my opinions and experience and should not be considered as legal advice in Utah, Wisconsin, or any other State.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Opps

I forgot to post my citations.

Applicable Utah law is found in the required course materials for Concealed Firearm Permit Training. I thought that this forum might like to take a look at that document as it covers what UT Instructors (such as yours truly) must teach to all CFP students. Both UT and Federal Law are found in one document and cross-referenced.

See: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...TC01032011.pdf
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

McX
    But Utah aint here. it's like going to a gun shop, looking in the case, and looking at your wallet and saying; not here, not today. hurts ya know?

Cool McX, I am not trying to hurt your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    But Utah aint here. it's like going to a gun shop, looking in the case, and looking at your wallet and saying; not here, not today. hurts ya know?
    I know McX, but the original post wanted links to the laws of other States to show Wisconsin legislators what is working in the other States that have liberal gun law.

You know me and know I am not trying to "rub it in", but it is sort of nice to strap on my Springfield XD-9 every morning, put a sweater over it, and head out for the day. And, since I can open carry or concealed carry in UT on my Utah CFP (or my three other permits), if the gun accidentally shows (prints), I cannot get in trouble like in FL or TX.

Thank you to all who replied! Lots of great information for all of use to use.

McX
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post
    I know McX, but the original post wanted links to the laws of other States to show Wisconsin legislators what is working in the other States that have liberal gun law.

You know me and know I am not trying to "rub it in", but it is sort of nice to strap on my Springfield XD-9 every morning, put a sweater over it, and head out for the day. And, since I can open carry or concealed carry in UT on my Utah CFP (or my three other permits), if the gun accidentally shows (prints), I cannot get in trouble like in FL or TX.
    you sure know how to hurt a guy, i hate every hair on your kitty head!
    (just kidding, enjoy the freedom, and think of me- the ones who have alot less)

Quote Originally Posted by jpm84092 View Post

You carry 4 permits? Wow, you must have a lot of extra cash, and time. I'm not picken on you, just thought it was a bit odd to hold 4 "papers" at the same time.

EGYPT!

Click on the "My Castle Doctrine Law" link in my sig. It covers many of the points on this from the Supreme Court case Beard v U.S. in 1895. It obviously doesn't cover immunity from a civil lawsuit since politicians and judges seem to think that someone who was wounded in the commission of a crime in your home or on your property has a right to seek money from you even though you were the victim .
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

McX
    i'm standing my ground right now, because my shoes are frozen to the pavement- damn i hate winter.