• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stand your ground

protias

FL is the only one that has "stand your ground" in those exact words, but several states have good castle doctrine laws. This isn't something I've researched much, but I know FL, TX, and CO have it. I do not know about other states off the top of my head.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I just emailed my Senator & Representative, told them we need a Castle Doctrine now & included the link to the Florida law.

Thanks rcawdor57 for posting that.

Last edited:

jpm84092

Utah - Some of the Best Gun Laws in the USA

In answer to the OP question:

Utah has a "no duty to retreat from any place you may lawfully be" law. Utah law offers limited protection against civil suit by the Bad Guy (or survivors), but not if you cause collateral damage (shoot at bad guy, miss, and hit 5 school children waiting at the bus stop). A recent change to UT law also protects the Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor who signed off on the UT training requirement.

Utah Castle Doctrine extends to your "home" (could be a cardboard box if you are homeless, or your tent, camper, RV, etc). Utah law assumes that anyone trying to break into your "home" is doing so to cause murder and mayhem and you may use deadly force to prevent the bad guy from committing a "forceable felony" (burglary to an occupied home or occupied vehicle is a considered to be a forceable felony under UT law).

Utah's Castle Doctrine also extends to your automobile (or truck or whatever vehicle you use to get around on). In UT you can carry, open or concealed, "loaded" within the meaning of Utah law (Condition 1) in your car; including in the GFSZ areas. To leave your car with a firearm if you do not have a Concealed Firearm Permit, you may carry open and "unloaded" under Utah Law ((no round in the chamber (and adjacent chamber if a revolver) and two actions to fire)) or in Condition 1, open or concealed, if you have a Concealed Firearm Permit issued by any State. You cannot carry in a GFSZ unless you have a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (the part about a permit from any State has not yet been tested in the courts with respect to the GFSZ, but there is a Bill pending in the UT legislature to declare the "school zone" to be the buildings and school owned grounds only). The exemption to the GFSZ law applies only to schools that receive public funds or are public. Private schools may restrict carry on school grounds, but the 1000' perimeter does not apply if you have a Concealed Firearm Permit.

Please take note: I am not a lawyer in Utah or any other State and do not play one on TV. I did not sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. My posts reflect my opinions and experience and should not be considered as legal advice in Utah, Wisconsin, or any other State.

jpm84092

Opps

I forgot to post my citations.

Applicable Utah law is found in the required course materials for Concealed Firearm Permit Training. I thought that this forum might like to take a look at that document as it covers what UT Instructors (such as yours truly) must teach to all CFP students. Both UT and Federal Law are found in one document and cross-referenced.

See: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/MTC01032011.pdf

M

McX

But Utah aint here. it's like going to a gun shop, looking in the case, and looking at your wallet and saying; not here, not today. hurts ya know?

jpm84092

McX, I am not trying to hurt your feelings.

But Utah aint here. it's like going to a gun shop, looking in the case, and looking at your wallet and saying; not here, not today. hurts ya know?

I know McX, but the original post wanted links to the laws of other States to show Wisconsin legislators what is working in the other States that have liberal gun law.

You know me and know I am not trying to "rub it in", but it is sort of nice to strap on my Springfield XD-9 every morning, put a sweater over it, and head out for the day. And, since I can open carry or concealed carry in UT on my Utah CFP (or my three other permits), if the gun accidentally shows (prints), I cannot get in trouble like in FL or TX.

M

McX

I know McX, but the original post wanted links to the laws of other States to show Wisconsin legislators what is working in the other States that have liberal gun law.

You know me and know I am not trying to "rub it in", but it is sort of nice to strap on my Springfield XD-9 every morning, put a sweater over it, and head out for the day. And, since I can open carry or concealed carry in UT on my Utah CFP (or my three other permits), if the gun accidentally shows (prints), I cannot get in trouble like in FL or TX.

you sure know how to hurt a guy, i hate every hair on your kitty head!
(just kidding, enjoy the freedom, and think of me- the ones who have alot less)

AaronS

You carry 4 permits? Wow, you must have a lot of extra cash, and time. I'm not picken on you, just thought it was a bit odd to hold 4 "papers" at the same time.

EGYPT!

XDFDE45

Click on the "My Castle Doctrine Law" link in my sig. It covers many of the points on this from the Supreme Court case Beard v U.S. in 1895. It obviously doesn't cover immunity from a civil lawsuit since politicians and judges seem to think that someone who was wounded in the commission of a crime in your home or on your property has a right to seek money from you even though you were the victim :cuss:.

M

McX

i'm standing my ground right now, because my shoes are frozen to the pavement- damn i hate winter.