• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Style Weekly likes SB1395

Repeater

In this week's edition of Punch Drunk, Jack Lauterback talks with A. Donald McEachin about SB1395:

Shotguns and Shot Glasses

Right now you can drink and carry a gun with no repercussions in Virginia. Does anyone else feel like they're taking crazy pills?

That's false, if it's concealed. It's also false if you're a cop.

In an effort to temper the never-ending derangement that is Virginia’s relationship with alcohol and guns, State Sen. A. Donald McEachin, D-Henrico, put forth Senate Bill 1395, which would make drinking while carrying a firearm illegal.

Yes, that’s correct: Right now you can drink and carry a gun with no repercussions in Virginia. Seriously?! I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

That this isn’t already against the law is baffling and shows how red and deeply Southern this state still is. Regardless, McEachin’s bill seeks to at least counter the law that went into place a year ago, which allows for concealed weapons in bars as long as the holder has a permit and remains sober.

Unfortunately it’s widely suspected that McEachin’s legislation, although it passed 12-1 in the Senate Courts of Justice Committee and 40-0 in the full Senate, ultimately will die in a House of Delegates subcommittee before it reaches the full body. But McEachin isn’t giving up. “I don’t subscribe to the notion that this bill won’t pass through the House of Delegates or else I wouldn’t have introduced it,” he says. “We already got 40 votes in the Senate, and with both parties working together I’m hopeful we can get the necessary votes in the House.”

If it fails, it’ll be thanks to a bunch of old Republican bags on the subcommittee and heavy pressure on them from the (possibly drunk?) good ol’ boys to “uphold the Second Amendment!

As for allowing concealed weapons in bars, McEachin says he’s not sure what the process would have been to repeal the law, but is focused on this new bill: “I think it will go through.”

What else is there to say? We’ve already had one concealed weapons permit-holder in Lynchburg shoot himself in the leg while drinking in a bar. Next time a person will die, though I doubt it will change the stances of lawmakers or gun nuts. When it comes to firearms, rational thought is merely an afterthought for these people.

So, these gentlemen are "old Republican bags" - really?

curtiswr

A comment states:

Its illegal to carry a CONCEALED firearm and drink. If you show it you can get as hammered as you want. Please check YOUR facts.

I don't feel like registering on there to tell him that you can't be "under the influence" (hammered), even if it is openly carried and thus to get HIS/HER facts straight.

Ever since Jack got all the attention he did from being his usual obnoxious self towards gun rights activist and got his face on NBC12, he's been making jab after jab at guns and gun rights in his column hoping for all the attention again.

He's not worth it.

Last edited:

wylde007

He is a VERY squeaky wheel.

However he is a squeaky wheel in an apparatus which serves no useful purpose and, rather than lubricate it, it would be best to simply cast it aside or put it on a shelf to remind others of the consequences of being dumb, noisy and useless.

Say, isn't Lauterback the same guy who said if someone came into his "bar" weaing a gun he would "show them the street, asphalt first" or something to that effect?

Repeater

It's about McEachin

However he is a squeaky wheel in an apparatus which serves no useful purpose and, rather than lubricate it, it would be best to simply cast it aside or put it on a shelf to remind others of the consequences of being dumb, noisy and useless.

Say, isn't Lauterback the same guy who said if someone came into his "bar" weaing a gun he would "show them the street, asphalt first" or something to that effect?

Please understand, this is about what McEachin said, not about what Lauterback thinks.

McEachin is quoted as saying that SB1395 will pass the House:

I don’t subscribe to the notion that this bill won’t pass through the House of Delegates or else I wouldn’t have introduced it.

And:
I think it will go through.

MPPS #1 will be heard tomorrow. Virginia gun owners should be there tomorrow and see if the Donald actually meant what he said.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Gosh, an attention whore telling lies and insulting people to get more attention?

Whoda thunk it?

Calling out a Liberal Liar is always worth signing up for. If you don't prove he's lying, who will?

Last edited:

TFred

In light of this week's developments in Philadelphia, I can't help but observe that if this law had been in place in Philadelphia in January 2010, it is quite likely that Gerald Ung would have been severely beaten and possibly critically injured or killed.

I guess we can safely say that the Senator would prefer that Mr. Ung be injured or killed, rather than have been able to defend himself from a gang of drunken thugs.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do we know what is actually meant by the term "loaded firearm"?

And by that I mean is it defined either in statute or case law anywhere?

TFred

This the only "loaded" reference that I have ever found.

What Does VA Consider A Loaded Firearm?
4VAC15-40-60. Hunting With Dogs or Possession of Weapons in Certain Locations During Closed Season. H. Meaning of "possession" of bow, crossbow, or firearm and definition of "loaded crossbow" and "loaded firearm." For the purpose of this section, the word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow, crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For the purpose of this section, a "loaded firearm" shall be defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip when such magazine or clip is engaged or partially engaged in a firearm.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

TFred

This the only "loaded" reference that I have ever found.

What Does VA Consider A Loaded Firearm?
4VAC15-40-60. Hunting With Dogs or Possession of Weapons in Certain Locations During Closed Season. H. Meaning of "possession" of bow, crossbow, or firearm and definition of "loaded crossbow" and "loaded firearm." For the purpose of this section, the word "possession" shall include, but not be limited to, having any bow, crossbow, or firearm in or on one's person, vehicle or conveyance. For the purpose of this section, a "loaded firearm" shall be defined as a firearm in which ammunition is chambered or loaded in the magazine or clip when such magazine or clip is engaged or partially engaged in a firearm.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Thanks for the reference. Does the phrase "for the purpose of this section" limit the usefulness of the definition for other purposes?

Of course, the reason I ask is that the bill in question specifically references "loaded firearm."

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the reference. Does the phrase "for the purpose of this section" limit the usefulness of the definition for other purposes?

Of course, the reason I ask is that the bill in question specifically references "loaded firearm."

TFred

That's a loaded question.

I would think that any new bill could easily be amended to state a "loaded firearm" as defined in 4VAC15-40-60

TFred

That's a loaded question.

I would think that any new bill could easily be amended to state a "loaded firearm" as defined in 4VAC15-40-60
Assuming that definition is "ok" with the legislators for application to this bill in question... it's rather amusing, and somewhat ironic that this bill would then permit a person to be intoxicated and carry an empty semi-automatic ::gasp:: firearm, but along with a loaded magazine in another pocket or magazine holder.

As much as the anti-gunners hate semi-automatic weapons, this bill effectively prohibits the "less scary" revolver, in favor of the "horrible" semi-automatic.

This would work much like California's Unloaded Open Carry provision. Of course, I suppose it would be prudent to note that the more intoxicated someone was, the less likely they could properly insert a magazine and rack that first round.

Someone remind me again... where is this long list of drunk shooters that this law is supposed to be fixing??

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As much as the anti-gunners hate semi-automatic weapons, this bill effectively prohibits the "less scary" revolver, in favor of the "horrible" semi-automatic.

I have considered the question of a "loaded" revolver also - believe there is a definition somewhere in hunting regulations of DGIF that covers this but such alludes me right now. It goes so far as to include black powder being loaded when the gun is capped and charged.

This below seems to cover all the bases with my edits:

Utah 76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) [strike]Pistols and revolvers[/strike] Any weapon described in this part shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism [strike]once[/strike] would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be [strike]fired[/strike] in a firing position.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

Repeater

No so hypothetical

It's about hypothetical drunk shooters. I think Dan Casey maintains the list.

Consider the actual example of (former) DEA agent Timothy Glen Workman. He visits Roanoke, on assignment, and has many alcoholic drinks at O'Charley's in Valley View Mall. Later, while under the influence, he accuses Keith Edward Bailey of flirting with a girl Workman was interested in. They take it out to the parking lot, things heat up, and Workman shot and killed Bailey.

There is more than enough evidence for a Sec. 18.2-808(J1) violation, yet the Roanoke cops gave Workman a free pass:

Roanoke Commonwealth's Attorney Donald Caldwell criticized police for allowing Workman to walk around and speak with investigators after the shooting rather than cuffing him and isolating him like any other suspect.

The Police did not accept the criticism.

Bear in mind, this was Workman's second trial. The first began in 2002, and resulted in a guilty verdict. That was overturned on appeal.

TFred

Consider the actual example of (former) DEA agent Timothy Glen Workman. He visits Roanoke, on assignment, and has many alcoholic drinks at O'Charley's in Valley View Mall. Later, while under the influence, he accuses Keith Edward Bailey of flirting with a girl Workman was interested in. They take it out to the parking lot, things heat up, and Workman shot and killed Bailey.

There is more than enough evidence for a Sec. 18.2-808(J1) violation, yet the Roanoke cops gave Workman a free pass:

Bear in mind, this was Workman's second trial. The first began in 2002, and resulted in a guilty verdict. That was overturned on appeal.
I read the bill. It doesn't make murdering someone in cold blood any more against the law than it already is.

And if he was in fact "on assignment" the new law may not apply to him anyway.

Sounds like the story you reference is a problem with the Roanoke PD.

TFred

vt357

I read the bill. It doesn't make murdering someone in cold blood any more against the law than it already is.

And if he was in fact "on assignment" the new law may not apply to him anyway.

Sounds like the story you reference is a problem with the Roanoke PD.

TFred

I think that's the point - this bill is unnecessary since murder is already illegal. And if the bill is necessary, then it should apply to everyone. It shouldn't exempt anyone, including police officers.

TFred

I think that's the point - this bill is unnecessary since murder is already illegal. And if the bill is necessary, then it should apply to everyone. It shouldn't exempt anyone, including police officers.
As Philip noted in his Alert yesterday, this bill has been hacked up.

The last version on the website has this:

The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties as law-enforcement officers.

That seems to mean they intend it to not apply only to undercover officers. Are there any other circumstances to which that would apply?

TFred

buster81

I don't think that guy is on the list Dan Casey keeps. He should be though.