• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger P95

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get your opinion on a first gun for Open Carry. I've fired a few guns before. Such as a Springfield 9mm, S&W 9mm and Glock 9mm (I don't recall the specific models however). As I recall, the Smith and Wesson 9mm was a bit easier to fire then the Glock 9mm with less recoil. I don't remember how the Springfield was. So what I wanted to know from maybe a fellow Ruger Owner, what you thought about the P95, Accessories available for this particular model such as a Flash Light and Sights, different type of holsters, What is the break in period for this weapon NEW. Really any tip would be helpful. I just got my HSC (I missed two questions lol, one being the transfer to a Brother/Sister I assumed was legal without a FFL or any type of transfer document. I dont remember what other one I missed). Now I might be moving to Laughlin, NV so either way I'll end up getting a handgun even if I have to go through the 10 Day Hold.

Thanks,
Steve

hrdware

I carry a Ruger P-90 and although it is not the identical gun you asked about, it is really close since they both have the same design.

The newer models do have a picante rail system on them so you can put a flashlight on it. The picante system is fairly common so you shouldn't have a problem finding a light. Older models (probably older than about 3 years) won't have this feature.

Another change to newer models is that the grips are now a molded part of the frame and you can not change them. You could add something like a slip on Hogue grip however.

Since I bought mine used, I can't make any comment about break in period but I wouldn't think it would be more than a hundred rounds or so. Milage may vary.

Holsters are a personal preference. I have tried a pager pal and didn't like it. Shoulder rig is ok, but mostly I use a Galco knock off. I am starting to look for a Fobus holster though...hard to find since the P-90 is no longer in production.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

I carry a Ruger P-90 and although it is not the identical gun you asked about, it is really close since they both have the same design.

The newer models do have a picante rail system on them so you can put a flashlight on it. The picante system is fairly common so you shouldn't have a problem finding a light. Older models (probably older than about 3 years) won't have this feature.

Another change to newer models is that the grips are now a molded part of the frame and you can not change them. You could add something like a slip on Hogue grip however.

Since I bought mine used, I can't make any comment about break in period but I wouldn't think it would be more than a hundred rounds or so. Milage may vary.

Holsters are a personal preference. I have tried a pager pal and didn't like it. Shoulder rig is ok, but mostly I use a Galco knock off. I am starting to look for a Fobus holster though...hard to find since the P-90 is no longer in production.

Cool! Thanks for the info. How's the recoil on the one you own? How come you didnt like Pager Pal? I need something I can use to open carry, but something that someone cant just come right up to me and steal my handgun from my holster. Something with Retention in it. Not sure if I'd be allowed to wear a Shoulder Holster in California if that can be seen as "Concealed". What ammo do you use with your P-90?

hrdware

Cool! Thanks for the info. How's the recoil on the one you own? How come you didnt like Pager Pal? I need something I can use to open carry, but something that someone cant just come right up to me and steal my handgun from my holster. Something with Retention in it. Not sure if I'd be allowed to wear a Shoulder Holster in California if that can be seen as "Concealed". What ammo do you use with your P-90?

The recoil isn't bad, but then again I put it an EFK Firedragon Dual Action Recoil Spring.

Pager Pal is a concealed holster that you wear in the front. Ever time I sat down, either the fake pager or the grip of my gun were gouging me in the gut. These things are made for skinny people or small guns. I'm a bit larger and carry a big gun.

The galco knockoff I use (as well as the galco) are just leather holsters that rely on friction. The firearm is angled in the holster and it isn't coming out from a gun grab...had to practice a bit to get the draw angle correct for myself.

I started looking at the fobus holsters because they will drop the grip a bit to make it an easier reach. Fobus are similar to serpa holsters, but I didn't see a serpa for my ruger.

Butch00

I have a Ruger P-85, P-89, P-91, P-94 all ran flawlessly right out of the box.
As for a break-in never thought about it.
All shoot 2" or less at 25 yards.

since9

Campaign Veteran
As for a break-in never thought about it.

It's not a bad idea to fire about 100 rounds of lightweight FMJ ball ammo (no +P or +P+!) through your firearm before you start using heavier stuff with higher pressures. Even cold (lower than annealing/recrystallization temperature) steel has a tendency to harden through small amounts of plastic deformation. The key is to minimize the deformation while allowing enough repetition to fully harden the steel. Click here for more on this.

The Wolfhound

Like the Ruger

Bought one for the wife (a 944 .40S&W) and it is a great shooter. Easy to handle and very accurate. My only complaint is that few makers are making holsters for it. That is a pain at the moment, but hard to actually blame on the gun.

CrashVector

I bought my ex-wife a P95 a few years ago, when she wasn't my ex lol

I loved that gun...and so does she.

The recoil isn't as quick or sharp as my Walther P99, which makes it more suitable for someone who isnt used to recoil.

That gun NEVER failed. Ruger makes EXCELLENT pistols, and they are generally priced well...although they're great guns regardless of price.