• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dry fire practice

irish52084

I was hoping some of you might be able to point me in the proper direction for some dry fire drills. How important are snap caps for dry fire practice? Any specific drills I should be looking for?

zack991

I use snap caps to protect my firing pin. Some say you don't need to use them but why take the chance, they are useful for practicing FTF and clearing jam drills during range time. Practice drawing your pistol and I do this around the home and point the weapon at light switches.

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

In many firearms the excessive metal on metal can cause stress, cracks, and breakage of the firing pin. This is not in all cases, but better safe than sorry.

As far as drills, there are millions of drills out there, if you can be more specific I can point you in the rite direction. Thats what I do for a living. Gunsmith, Firearms Instructor, RSO, Shooting Coach, and generally all around jerk.

irish52084

I was mainly looking for drills to clear malfunctions and work on my trigger control and grip. I have recently been using a CZ and it's trigger function and feel is much different than the 1911's and XD's I'm more experienced with. I noticed this afternoon that I have a bit of a jerk when I dry fire. I want to smooth out my operations with it and I've never really used dry fire to practice except in attempts to smooth out the trigger and action. I'm also getting started in IDPA style shooting and would like to work on reload drills, drawing, stance, etc... the list is long. lol

prairie 360

I have dry fired thousands of times with a 1911 with no ill effects, the same with a glock 21 without a dummy round or as you call it a snap cap. I do have them for use in malfunction and reload drills. I don't think it is a big issue. At least with the 1911 and glock. Drills are up to you, there are a couple of websites, google dry firing.

Last edited:

zack991

I was mainly looking for drills to clear malfunctions and work on my trigger control and grip. I have recently been using a CZ and it's trigger function and feel is much different than the 1911's and XD's I'm more experienced with. I noticed this afternoon that I have a bit of a jerk when I dry fire. I want to smooth out my operations with it and I've never really used dry fire to practice except in attempts to smooth out the trigger and action. I'm also getting started in IDPA style shooting and would like to work on reload drills, drawing, stance, etc... the list is long. lol

I would highly encourage any person to seriously look into buying MAGPUL DYNAMICS Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD.
Quick Tip: Workspace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoGVLzSrt0g&playnext=1&list=PL47292240E628D7E7

Handgun Grip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm9uG5bPubw&feature=related

Admin Reload
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUnL...ums/images/icons/icon6.pngw-U&feature=related

TAC RELOAD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIsImJ8Lwps&feature=related

Mindset
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVv...ay&list=PL47292240E628D7E7&index=3&playnext=2

DRAW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstvjLCi4oA&feature=related

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTr8xvkUWp4&feature=related

CalicoJack10

Well, It sounds to me like you are so set in your ways you are looking for some new cure all with the new gun. Guess What, there is no new cure all. You gotta get back to basics. Work on a slow draw, touch, press, until your draw and fire is smooth. And then at a very gradual pace pick up the tempo and start getting a little faster. But if you over do it, you will not get any better.

As far as malfunction drills. The best you can do without having the malfunction happen during live fire is to create the malfunction (Double feed, failure to extract, and stovepipe) and practice clearing it as fast as you can.

CalicoJack10

zack991

Thats a great idea and all, but a video cant help you with experience. You need to do the things yourself instead of watching someone else do it.

I am not saying not to, it gives you drills that you and others can practice if you cant attend their class. It is simple just another tool for learning and they certainly know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

irish52084

You're are exactly right, I am set in my ways. This is a new system of operation for me and I haven't really had much range time with it either. I do love the gun though, it's big, heavy and very accurate. I just needed some dry fire stuff so I can work out my bad habits as much as possible at home.

The posted videos were a big help, they give me a template to follow. I'll do a bit more searching for more. I might buy that Magpul DVD as well, seems to be high quality.

Badger Johnson

IMO one of the best methods for perfecting draw, rack and shoot is this.

Take your gun to the firing range, put one bullet in the mag, insert mag and holster the HG. Then deliberately and smoothly draw HG and (rack and) sight and fire.

Repeat. This gives you, over time, a smooth, repeatable sequence. In fact, as you do it count.

1-index your holster
2-get a grip on your HG, releasing your snap or detent
3-draw HG
4-rack slide (muzzle downrange)
5-grip, aim, index the trigger
6-hold breath, sight and fire.
7-place HG on table, muzzle down range.

Now try and group them. 1-2-3...4...5...6...7.

You gain more by sureness, repeatability and repetition than thinking 'hurry up'.

An example is in piano playing. The best method is NOT to reproduce wrong notes - you're grooving in the wrong thing. Play the right notes, even if slowly, and when tired stop. If you count you'll be more easily able to spot excessive, extraneous movement.

My partner was trying to put in her mag and was doing about 8 motions. I said 'here, break it down to three and practice these and count out loud'. It may sound juvenile but it works.

HTH.

zack991

You're are exactly right, I am set in my ways. This is a new system of operation for me and I haven't really had much range time with it either. I do love the gun though, it's big, heavy and very accurate. I just needed some dry fire stuff so I can work out my bad habits as much as possible at home.

The posted videos were a big help, they give me a template to follow. I'll do a bit more searching for more. I might buy that Magpul DVD as well, seems to be high quality.

Yea the video is around 7 hours total with a few extras(gear, CHL training video ext.) and you can look up the drills by themselves on the dvd instead of having to have to skip through the video to find them. I have taken their class and they are not kidding when they tell you they will make your run your gun harder than you ever have. They have a great way to induce stress into the shooters and it is by far the best training I have ever taken, even better than front sight class that I took a few years a go.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Quality guns aren't going to be hurt by dry fire. It used to be some steels would crystalize, metal on metal, after repeated df. Or you could harm the firing pin by pushing it too far. Not anymore. I wouldn't do it on a '44 built P-38, but SIGs, Hi-Powers or modern 1911s can handle it easily. Snap caps are best, but not really needed. The exception is rimfires. Never dry fire a rimfire. Much less robust design.

irish52084

I have started watching the magpul dvd and it's really informative. Very high production quality and very clear instruction. It has actually given me some tips to improve my grip and they break everything down into small sections to make the repetitions a bit easier to remember.