• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you OC around strangers, but not around your family?

zack991

At my own home, I OC. End of discussion. No matter who's present. If folks-family or otherwise, have an issue with it-they are certainly free to make for the nearest exit or get over it.
So far,not an issue, because most family are aware of my situation, and the on-going, armed threat to my area. My parents-not that they visit often-are Bleeding Heart commies, and decidedly anti-gun- even with full-knowledge of my own incident. Not much can be done to convince/sway them from their brain-washing. But-again-at home OC. At their place-if only to keep some peace n quiet and sanity- I CC, and they are never aware I even have a pistol on me.

This except the part that my parents are conservative in almost every way, that only my mom wants to learn to shoot and my farther is firmly against it. Now I have carried a lot in their home when I visited and my farther did not say anything.

Last edited:

eye95

The proper analogy is the restaurant owner (not a customer) to the home owner. The restaurant owner has no more or less ability to leave his business than the homeowner has to leave his home. Should the restaurant owner deny carry to his patrons if he uses a cane? He has that right, but I'd say he shouldn't.

My point is that if you expect others to permit you to carry onto their premises, you should be tolerant of those who would carry onto yours.

I have made this point before very recently, but it bears repeating: To best defend our rights we should primarily focus on defending the rights of others, not vice versa.

j4l

Let's face it - repairmen, contractors and others in business for themselves are insured and bonded for a reason. They have access to our private lives and possessions. I trust them but only to a degree.

I do not want disparity of force in my own house, where I have nowhere to which to retreat. I might add I get around using a cane, so I'm already a step behind.

I do not think that asking someone to unload their magazine and chamber in my house while they go about climbing ladders and crawling on the bathroom floor is over the top. In a restaurant, I can leave - at home, not so much, lol.

Again, I'm not telling the guy to leave his gun in the car, I'm just adding a layer of time/safety for myself. I try not to leave anything to chance where SD is concerned. Yes, I will also assess his behavior and if it seems squirrelly I will exercise my option to ask him to leave.

HTH

PS - eye said 'If and when his behavior gives you pause, you put distance between you and him. You remain prepared to act." Exactly. However, how do you put distance between someone in your own house and how do you remain prepared to act? I'm creating distance and time by asking him to unload. Note that this is also a test. If he argues with me, I'm picking someone else. After time goes by and I know him I might alter my requirements.

Some good points, actually. I dont think it is unreasonable to be concerned-at least for safety's sake. With a stranger, one cannot possibly know how stable someone is, or even how well-trained/safe in their handling one might be.

I have had armed contractors doing work in my home, though. But was not overly concerned at the time. I had my piece on my person in the remote chance it became an issue of any kind, and was comfy enough with that. Otherwise, I welcomed the additional firepower being around, lest my actual threat present itself.

Badger Johnson

The proper analogy is the restaurant owner (not a customer) to the home owner. The restaurant owner has no more or less ability to leave his business than the homeowner has to leave his home.

My point is that if you expect others to permit you to carry onto their premises, you should be tolerant of those who would carry onto yours.

I have made this point before very recently, but it bears repeating: To best defend our rights we should primarily focus on defending the rights of others, not vice versa.

You are correct in this analogy, except that the business owner has other rights I don't have. They have private 'employee only' areas, they have employees they can direct they have alternate exits available only to them and they have made the decision to have an open business.

In my HOME it's completely different and I am not about to give anyone ONE IOTA of privilege that they don't require to do their job. I'm not making a philosophical statement, I'm weighting the odds in MY FAVOR. There is no reason for a vendor/contractor to OC loaded in my house where I can not retreat and I can't watch him all the time, or have backup employees to assist me.

If it's philosophically unbalanced or hypocritical, I'm good with that. :)

eye95

You are correct in this analogy, except that the business owner has other rights I don't have. They have private 'employee only' areas, they have employees they can direct they have alternate exits available only to them and they have made the decision to have an open business.

In my HOME it's completely different and I am not about to give anyone ONE IOTA of privilege that they don't require to do their job. I'm not making a philosophical statement, I'm weighting the odds in MY FAVOR. There is no reason for a vendor/contractor to OC loaded in my house where I can not retreat and I can't watch him all the time, or have backup employees to assist me.

If it's philosophically unbalanced or hypocritical, I'm good with that. :)

You are free to restrict any area of your home to the repair man. The worst consequence is that he cannot complete the repair.

Justify it how you will, the stance is hypocritical. It disappoints that one could be good with that. Oh, well, I've made the point and will discuss something else.

Chap

I carry CC 24/7 except at work. One good side affect is I stopped drinking. It's a tough choice to leave weapon behind just to drink.

I did put my .45 ACP in my luggage when visiting my Dad. I told him I took it off since I was in on his property. He just smiled. It did become a topic of discussion.

Next visit, I'm bringing all my weapons, we are going to a local gun range to throw some lead down range.

Chap's iPhone

Last edited:

XDFDE45

I OC pretty much where ever I go regardless. My family knows I've been for carrying guns since 1982 so it comes as NO surprise to them. When I do around strangers I get the occasional odd look but most just usually ask why I am open carrying. I explain that in WI it is completely legal to OC but there are certain places where it is prohibited like inside the GFSZ (which is
bs.gif
), court houses, federal buildings, etc.. Most get it but look as though they would not OC but at least they listen instead of jumping around like a organ grinder monkey freaking out because I have a gun on my hip.

j4l

"jumping around like a organ grinder monkey freaking out because I have a gun on my hip. "

This-if they do, shrug em off and go on about your way. Today we can call them an annoyance.Tommorow you may well be referring to them as "victims".

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member

What is to stop them from carrying loaded and concealed?

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

You are free to restrict any area of your home to the repair man. The worst consequence is that he cannot complete the repair.

Justify it how you will, the stance is hypocritical. It disappoints that one could be good with that. Oh, well, I've made the point and will discuss something else.

I don't mean to say my attitude can't evolve.

I don't quite understand why I have to have parity between what I require personally in the home and what I think is important as a philosophy for OC in public places.

My stance is that OC is a constitutional right, and we are safer with responsible adults OC and CC in public and in businesses, but that I should be FREE TO LEAVE if I'm not comfortable in the store.

Note also that in the analogy, I'm paying the contractor. The Store owner is being paid by the customer. If I prohibit loaded OC in my home from a contractor I'm paying that's different, though not sure it matters.

Thanks for your insight and input.

Kirbinator

I oc in front of relatives; they don't have a lot of choice in the matter in some cases, none of them tell me I can't. A few refuse to be armed, but the presence of my holstered gun doesn't give them any pause.

45acpForMe

They received him not.

Here is the bible verse I was thinking about for this thread. Typically the people that know you discount your activities. So the people closest to you criticize you the most.

Mark 6:1-29

Jesus is Rejected at Nazareth

6 Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him. 2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands! 3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" So they were offended at Him.
4 But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house." 5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. 6 And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.