• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC @ Wal-Mart?

DooFster

Born2Lose

I know this might have been brought up before, but I just saw this on Fox News. Apparently Wal-Mart has a policy where their workers are to "retreat" when they are aware of a weapon on a shopper. Does this mean we cannot OC at Wal-Mart, or are we allowed to and they run when they see us coming? Here's a breif story of what I read this morning: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/16/wal-mart-employees-fired-helping-capture-alleged-criminal/?test=latestnews

I've UOC'ed at Walmart in Santee multiple times and i never even got a second look. Have gone to the ammo counter to window shop and spoke with employees throughout the store.

Last edited:

jdholmes

I would speculate that based on the fact that this writing is encased within the company’s “Investigation and Detention of Shoplifters Policy,” that the policy to 'retreat' is intended only for those circumstances where employees are attempting to confront a suspected shoplifter.

MKEgal

jdholmes said:
... intended only for those circumstances where employees are attempting to confront a suspected shoplifter.
Great... they have a written policy saying that criminals aren't to be bothered, & employees who break it (even to save their own lives) get fired,
while their corporate policy allowing peaceful citizens (who happen to be armed) to shop unmolested gets violated frequently, with impunity.

I've read another thread about this incident, & the problem with the policy is that the criminal was already detained in the office before they knew he was armed. He drew the gun from concealement & threatened them to try to escape custody. Since there were people between him & the door, & nowhere to go, they really didn't have a choice but to fight with him to save their lives.

Fireing people for self-preservation is wrong.
One more reason I don't shop at WalMart (unless it's the ONLY place I can find whatever it is I'm looking for, which is rare).