• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greensboro info

Krhino

I'm brand new to open carry an to this forum so first let me say hi everyone! I've been reading other posts and find this site full of great information.

I'm particulary curious about open carry in Greensboro. I've live here for 20 years and have only really noticed one person ever open carry here. Has anyone ha problems in this city, are there places I should avoid, etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm brand new to open carry an to this forum so first let me say hi everyone! I've been reading other posts and find this site full of great information.

I'm particulary curious about open carry in Greensboro. I've live here for 20 years and have only really noticed one person ever open carry here. Has anyone ha problems in this city, are there places I should avoid, etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Welcome to OCDO! Yes, lots of good people and information here.

I'm sure that others will chime in with more specific answers to your questions.

Take a look at GRNC (http://www.grnc.org/) and get on the spot, pertinent reports on what is happening in NC with RKBA.

sultan62

The only OCing I've done in Greensboro is just passing through, but I've not had any problems. Nor have I had problems elsewhere in the state, though you will receive questions such as "Is that a real gun?" and "Are you a police officer?".

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I live in west Greensboro, and I've been OC'ing for a little bit over a year. The only place I've ever been asked to leave was Best Buy. Never any problems with officers either. Just make sure that you are obeying the laws (no carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol, or anywhere that charges admission, gov't buildings, schools, etc.) and you will be fine ;)

ryanb197901

open carry harristeeter newgarden rd

Hi, just wanted to share ... I went into harristeeter newgarden rd and while i was shopping there i noticed there were no signs posted about open carry or otherwise. Well a manager happen to walk by and i stoped her and ask about open carry .. she told me no i couldnt and then proceded to take me to the front of the store to show me the signs that wernt there lol. Well i told her no prob i was just asking ... well last night i emailed harristeeter corp ... and today at 5 pm i got a responce.. the email said there was no policy against open carry in harristeeter , i the email also told me i was welcome to have my firearm anytime i shop at any harristeeter, Well with that in hand i went to pay newgarden harristeeter a visit.. i ask to speak to the main manager, i explained to him that i had come in there and ask one of his managers about open carry and she told me i couldnt it was against the law... then he proceded to explain how it was against the rules.. i said wait before you say another word, i showed him the email with the ref number , he looked at me and said well you learn something new every day... he ask for my number i said why do u want it ? he said tom im having a meeting with my managers i want to call you when im done to let you know ive talked to them ... i said ok and gave him my number and left.. well an hour later he calls me and says how terribly sorry he was for the way his manager handled the situation.. i said its ok , he told me if i ever have anymore prob come directly to him before i contact corp..i said i would he said you are welcome to open carry antime at harristeeter i said , oh i will .. so guys remember theres more than one way to skin a cat ....oh and id love to meet where ever just pick a date already .....and a place....

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi, just wanted to share ... I went into harristeeter newgarden rd and while i was shopping there i noticed there were no signs posted about open carry or otherwise. Well a manager happen to walk by and i stoped her and ask about open carry .. she told me no i couldnt and then proceded to take me to the front of the store to show me the signs that wernt there lol. Well i told her no prob i was just asking ... well last night i emailed harristeeter corp ... and today at 5 pm i got a responce.. the email said there was no policy against open carry in harristeeter , i the email also told me i was welcome to have my firearm anytime i shop at any harristeeter, Well with that in hand i went to pay newgarden harristeeter a visit.. i ask to speak to the main manager, i explained to him that i had come in there and ask one of his managers about open carry and she told me i couldnt it was against the law... then he proceded to explain how it was against the rules.. i said wait before you say another word, i showed him the email with the ref number , he looked at me and said well you learn something new every day... he ask for my number i said why do u want it ? he said tom im having a meeting with my managers i want to call you when im done to let you know ive talked to them ... i said ok and gave him my number and left.. well an hour later he calls me and says how terribly sorry he was for the way his manager handled the situation.. i said its ok , he told me if i ever have anymore prob come directly to him before i contact corp..i said i would he said you are welcome to open carry antime at harristeeter i said , oh i will .. so guys remember theres more than one way to skin a cat ....oh and id love to meet where ever just pick a date already .....and a place....

Don't loose that Harris-Teeter correspondence and the reference number - it may prove valuable to someone else.

Open question: Don't you all (NC) have a 'friend or for" list? Looks like Harris-Teeter should be on the friendly page.

dmatting

Hi, just wanted to share ... I went into harristeeter newgarden rd and while i was shopping there i noticed there were no signs posted about open carry or otherwise. Well a manager happen to walk by and i stoped her and ask about open carry .. she told me no i couldnt and then proceded to take me to the front of the store to show me the signs that wernt there lol. Well i told her no prob i was just asking ... <snip>

I'm not sure why you wanted to talk to the manager about OC in the first place. Did you also ask her if it was OK to have your cell phone with you? I hate to sound like a jerk here, but I don't see a need to bring attention to yourself where no attention is due. You didn't see any signs when you entered and the manager was probably completely oblivious to the fact that you had a gun on you until you brought it to her attention. If she had confronted you and asked you to leave, that would be another story.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not sure why you wanted to talk to the manager about OC in the first place. Did you also ask her if it was OK to have your cell phone with you? I hate to sound like a jerk here, but I don't see a need to bring attention to yourself where no attention is due. You didn't see any signs when you entered and the manager was probably completely oblivious to the fact that you had a gun on you until you brought it to her attention. If she had confronted you and asked you to leave, that would be another story.

Harris-Teeter has had some problems reported associated with their stores, but your point is understood.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...tact-at-harris-teeter&highlight=harris-teeter

carolina guy

I am not surprised about Harris Cheater...

We have had numerous other problems with Harris Cheater in the past with purchases and coupons that we have not stepped foot in one for over 4 years. They are so inconsistent when it comes to store v. corporate policy that it is almost a joke. Oh...and not to mention that we don't like to overpay for what we can easily get elsewhere. ;)

bc.cruiser

My only experience with H-T was during the Starbucks support drive on Valentine's Day. The girl at the Starbucks counter told me I couldn't CC. I told her not to worry about that, I wouldn't. Many of the regular employees of H-T saw me and my Ruger GP100 over the next hour or so and nobody said anything negative.

As dmatting indicated, I don't ask. Unless a business is posted against guns, I carry.

Ryan197901 double posted: The same thing is on the thread "OP in Greensboro". When you do this, please tell us. Some of us are easily confused as to which thread we've just read.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moderator comment on double posting.

--snip--

Ryan197901 double posted: The same thing is on the thread "OP in Greensboro". When you do this, please tell us. Some of us are easily confused as to which thread we've just read.

Presume you mean user/poster ryanb19790 - took care of it. In his defense he is new, but has his heart in the right place.

Double postings are akin to creating duplicate threads which are a rule violation.

If anyone sincerely thinks they have a need/reason to reply on two threads with the identical information, simple say "see also" and provide a link. If you are replying to a different thread, w/different intent, then change your wording appropriately. Do not copy n' paste.

We have had 50+ posts/threads that were identical - made to each state sub-forum + several of the main categories. That gets old quickly and is considered spamming.