• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How's this for normal.

sudden valley gunner

Had a building inspection yesterday, inspector showed up not even a second glance or furtive look at my gun. Being a rather large project he was there for some time, although I have had inspections with this inspector before they had been before I started OC'ing.

One of the only comments was jeez Rob you sure don't like to leave things for me to find do ya?

Nothing about the gun, no looks, no nervousness, no sideway glances. It was as if my firearm was just an ordinary accessory that I would always wear, like a shirt or pants. As it should be.

skiingislife725

It's also possible he had tunnel vision. There's a guy that I see almost everyday at the dog park and we've talked guns a number of times before. But just last week, I come down and he goes, "Hey! You're packin'!" (in a that's cool tone of voice). It's amazing what people fail to notice.

Either way though, it's good. You're not in the guy's face about it (Hey! Look at me I'm so cool because I've got a cool tool!") and he didn't notice...or he saw it for what it was and didn't care. Win-win.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

We had sunshine yesterday and I shed any extra layers of clothing I had. I don't think he missed it especially when I walked ahead of him up stairs . And knelt beside him going over plans, and the black Glock contrasts nicely against a red shirt. Plus this is one of the inspectors know for not missing things and having a keen eye for detail.

I know what you mean though, I have seen that same reaction.

1911er

ocing at the fredmeyer

Been living out here in Port Orchard almost 11 years been ocing the whole time. One of the pharmacy techs at Fred Meyer noticed the Washington Gun Rights Pamphlet in my hip pocket and asked me if I was studying law. So I handed them the brochure, and then and only then they noticed I was packing and said I never noticed you carry a weapon. I have been going there at least 2 times a month for the last 10 plus years. Good encounter.

FMCDH

We ran a thread all about this about a year or so ago. Cell phones, PDAs and other items such as leather-man tools have become so ubiquitous on people's belts these days that I'm sure a pistol is commonly just dismissed as one or more of these quite often.

I have had similar experiences from people that I have had weekly or monthly interactions with.

5jeffro7

best one I"ve ever had was as follows:
Daughter & I go into the store to do some shopping
My 5.7 is openly carried on my right side.
Daughter is walking on my right
AFTER we checkout, approached by store manager & we have a discussion in which I politely inform him of state law with regards to open carry, also presented him with gun rights brochure & training bulletins..store manager apologizes for delaying me & we leave
As we're leaving, my daughter looks at me & says, dang, dad, I didn't even know you had it on!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
best one I"ve ever had was as follows:
Daughter & I go into the store to do some shopping
My 5.7 is openly carried on my right side.
Daughter is walking on my right
AFTER we checkout, approached by store manager & we have a discussion in which I politely inform him of state law with regards to open carry, also presented him with gun rights brochure & training bulletins..store manager apologizes for delaying me & we leave
As we're leaving, my daughter looks at me & says, dang, dad, I didn't even know you had it on!

My daughter's have done the same....

A very good budy did not notice after 2 hours of shopping at Cabela's...

fire suppressor

I've been open carrying for three years now I still find as long as you act normal the majority of the time no one notices the big gun on your hip. Proves me point most people are sheep