• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

B

Bikenut

OC'd today in Clio at

Taco Bell for lunch and Menards to buy a new dryer....

Got many looks but I'm guessing no one really cared since no one ran out screaming... no one hid behind the tables/shelves... no Moms clutched their children to their bosoms to protect them.... no children stood crying in terror... and I don't think anyone poo'd their pants since I didn't smell anything.

About those "many looks"... just an opinion of mine.. but I think those "looks" have changed from "What the hell!!! LOOK!!! A guy with a gun!!!" to "Hey! I gotta tell my buddies I finally saw one of them open carrier guys!"

I don't know if that is a fact... but I suspect it may be.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i think you're right. the other day, my wife and i were open carrying in panara bread at coolidge and 15 mile. she said she overheard an older lady talking with someone else about our (in)famous friend sean combs of birminham open carry fame. the other thing i've overheard is a husband telling a wife something along the lines of "it's legal in michigan." so i think you're right, whether people agree with it or not, they know it's legal and they're better informed.

Bronson

Was up in Traverse City the last few days visiting the Pop. While there I OCed in MC Sports, Dunham's, Hemples (sp?), The Armory, Shooters Range, Grand Traverse Pie Co. and a couple of gas stations.

On the way home I OCed in a McDonalds in Cadillac, Silver Bullet in Grand Rapids, and Bob's Gun and Tackle & Walmart in Hastings.

No issues, problems, or interactions anywhere.

Bronson

Bronson

So it is in that sense that I take a great satisfaction in knowing that its caught on.

Just look at the majority support for OC in the recent MCRGO Facebook threads on the subject. It wasn't that long ago that OC would have been condemned out of hand.

I see the same thing on the other non-OC focused gun forums I visit. More and more support for the idea of OC where not very long ago it was heavily ridiculed.

Bronson

xmanhockey7

Just look at the majority support for OC in the recent MCRGO Facebook threads on the subject. It wasn't that long ago that OC would have been condemned out of hand.

I see the same thing on the other non-OC focused gun forums I visit. More and more support for the idea of OC where not very long ago it was heavily ridiculed.

Bronson
You must not be on Glocktalk. People will get flamed for asking if a certain gun is good for OC. Most anti-oc forum I'm on.

FreeInAZ

Nope, I've got nothing but disdain for Glocks and the people who love them :p

Bronson

While I love no firearm (that word I use for women), I have been known to carry the glock9mmoldstyle(s) ;).
They are fine OC\CC pistols. I often can shoot the centers out of sticky notes at 7 yards with my 26's and their short barrels. They are what they are: reliable, sturdy pistols. Like them or not that's just my experience over 20+ years using them. They are what brought other makers into the polymer pistol market ie S&W with their original sigma's in the early 90's. ;)

On topic OC'd a Glock today - no kabooms/mushroom clouds, no screaming citizens & I even opened the door for a guy OCing a 1911 @ Circle K leaving with both of his hands so full even if he dropped all the crap, he never would have got to his pistol in a timely manner.(so much for his SA) :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

OC'd yesterday at:

Bob Roy's Barbershop in Chesaning where my sidearm never was a problem for anyone... barbers or patrons.

Taco Bell in Clio where (we left $5 for the next person in line like we often do) a father, who most definitely did notice my sidearm, sent his two young sons (about 10 or 11 years old) over to our table to thank us for paying for part of their meal.

Carries Caboose in Montrose to buy ice cream where one old guy (about my age... LOL!) saw my sidearm and was visibly offended yet didn't say anything to us but told the folks with him and they all darn near twisted their necks off turning around to get a look... then

Montrose Township park to eat that ice cream and to discover there is now a farmer's market there on Thursdays.

It was in the park's pavilion and the farmer's market where my sidearm got lots of looks yet no one ran away... no one said anything... the police didn't show up... not much of anything happened except an elderly guy stood in one spot totally transfixed and just stared from the time he saw the sidearm until I got into my car. The funny part of that was it was a long ways from where he was standing to my car yet he didn't move from that spot during the time it took for me to amble to the car.

casper

Holland sheep.

Last night I was at G&L hotdog shop and a lady told her husband to do something about me having a gun. He kept telling her it was legal, but she kept it up all the way to her car. Tonight I was at Mc-Donalds and a lady approached me in line and said, that was disturbing and why did I need a gun in here. She said her blood pressure was sky high and she lost her appetite, she was very rude and left.

cmdr_iceman71

Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening while dual OCing through Detroit and Highland Park. Many DPD LEOs saw me, I had no problems. Received countless gawks and “Oh sh!t he got two!” For me, the coolest moment of the evening was while cycling a hot lap around Belle Island, a DPD Sgt. cruised up alongside me on his motorcycle looked at my pistols and gave me nod and thumbs up then speed away.

Also OCed at Cass Liquor Store on the outskirts of downtown to re-hydrate. While inside two plainclothes LEOs walked inside and went behind the counter they didn’t so much as look in my direction as the young male clerk behind the counter mocked me for looking like I was going to war. I replied “We are in a war zone.” He then asked was I a cop; when I told him “No” he then asked why I carried like that? I asked him “Why not? It isn’t illegal.” He just shrugged his shoulders.

FreeInAZ

@Casper - you seem to have a way with the ladies, now don't you. :p
Are you carrying in some wild rig that may make them jumpy? Most folks don't get freaked out unless they're standing behind someone wearing a horizontal shoulder rig? Or could it be something else??? You nervious?
Just seems weird to have two negative comments from two women at different places...? Maybe there was a wench convention in town?

On topic OCing right now ;). No issues.

Last edited:

casper

No, not nervious at all. In fact I'm very comfortable now OCing. I carry a Glock in a serpa holster. It's just the sheep here in Holland.

Last edited:

fozzy71

I OC'd some places and no cared. The only comment of note was at Best Buy the other day when the guy behind me walking in to the store asked what I was carrying on my belt opposite the gun. I told him spare mags and he jokingly said he was going to hang out with me in the store.

Cranked out 31.5 miles on my bicycle this evening......

I need a softer seat if I am gonna do that many miles. :p

....I carry a Glock in a serpa holster. ......

Maybe she was afraid you were going to draw and shoot yourself in the leg? ;)

um, i wonder what she wanted her husband to do about the man with a gun? was she trying to get him killed?

Same thought I had when I first read that post.

Last edited:

lil_freak_66

been all over, bunch of the usual places...no issues ever these days from leo or sheep. mcdonalds, taco bell, px, autozone....everywhere where lawful that i typically visit.and honeymoon is coming up next week, thankfully virginia is a gold star state and should be a nice time.

papa bear

Last night I was at G&L hotdog shop and a lady told her husband to do something about me having a gun. He kept telling her it was legal, but she kept it up all the way to her car. Tonight I was at Mc-Donalds and a lady approached me in line and said, that was disturbing and why did I need a gun in here. She said her blood pressure was sky high and she lost her appetite, she was very rude and left.

i love to talk with these type of people. i try to get them into a conversation. most of the time the hopolophobes don't know what they are talking about, and the eleutherophobes will say something really stupid and run away.
i would have offered top pay for their meal and get them to sit down with me. you handled every thing right