• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Michigander

Open carry of AR 15s irritates people. I mean, even gun rights supporters turn their backs on them just like this site does in banning the free exchange of intelligence here.

Don't you already have your own trolling sanctuary set up elsewhere? Is it not cutting it anymore?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--Open carry of AR 15s irritates people. I mean, even gun rights supporters turn their backs on them just like this site does in banning the free exchange of intelligence here
Put a negative spin on things much?

OCDO is focused on supporting and defending the open carry of holstered handguns as we go about our everyday routines.

Information on ARs may be passed on in the General Discussion sub-forum or in certain situations state specific sub-forums.

Long guns are not our primary objective - we do not ban them or turn our backs on people that enjoy them.

papa bear

I am unaware of any factual proof that Bloomberg, or any of the anti gun organizations he funds, has paid people to carry long guns in stores in an attempt to agitate and/or push an anti gun agenda. If you have any actual/factual proof of such a thing it could be used to completely discredit Bloomberg's entire anti gun efforts.

actually he wouldn't have to pay them they do it on their own. all you have to do is look at a lot of the ads to now that they are set ups. think about the guy in the back of the pick up, or the group pose that was shot at an angle to make it look like they were pointing their guns at each other and others

remember a Eleutherophobe will do anything to prove their point. i have suspensions that they have put bullets in guns at gun shows to get discharges. i have talk to dealers that have caught this

MikeTheGreek

Surprisingly my mohawked, tattooed self has had 0 problems OC'ing and I've been doing it about 2, maybe 3 years now.

Also, all of my customers call me John Wayne now, so I may have to change my work uniform. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Surprisingly my mohawked, tattooed self has had 0 problems OC'ing and I've been doing it about 2, maybe 3 years now.

Also, all of my customers call me John Wayne now, so I may have to change my work uniform. :lol:
John Wayne had a mohawk and tats? :p

MikeTheGreek

Well he did wear a hair piece.... but tats ...??? I think Mikey is talking about wearing western attire. :beer:;)

I HAVE been wearing a lot of flannel, boots, and my darius rucker hat lately.

It confuses people...usually kids with green mohawks and tattoos in Michigan don't dress like they got lost on their way home from Kentucky. Yeehaw! :banana:

Last edited:

AmericanNinja

Just wanted to share a OC story from the U.P. that happened to my friend. A couple weeks ago my friend was OC his Remington R1 .45 with a shoulder holster. He was out for a walk with his friend late at night. While they were walking a state trooper stopped them. My friend put up his hands right away and let the trooper know he was carrying and he had a CPL. The trooper told him to reach for his I.D. and not his gun. The trooper asked them some questions where they lived etc.. My friend asked the trooper if he needed to see is CPL I.D. and the trooper said no because he was open carrying. All in all my friend the trooper was really cool about it and wasn't mean or anything. :) The trooper didn't stop them because my friend was OC but, because it probably looked a little suspicious two people taking a walk late at night, plus we've been having quite a few break-ins around the area lately. So he probably just wanted to check them out.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Walking down the street on the sidewalk requires no permit or justification.

Good response would have been, "No thank you officer." and kept walking.

MI_XD

Well, I would have to say that today was my first true Open Carry. (After the 2nd Amendment march)

Attended the MOC Lunch at Theo and Stacey's in Portage, met some nice people OCing and had a great BLT!

Then, OC'd at The Speedway gas station on the way back to I-94 to head back to South Haven. As I was pre-paying, one of the cashiers was walking back to the registers and he commented,
Him: "DO I need to carry mine, too?"
I replied, "As long as you are comfortable with it."
Him: " I got one of those Concealed Badges, do you have one of those?"
I replied: "I would never wear one of those, because I wouldn't want to confuse anyone into thinking I was a cop."
Him: "Ahhhh, you're right."

Otherwise, no one had any problems! Wow, just like it should be!

Then OC'ed at the Paw Paw Tractor supply to get dogfood the wife asked me to get. They didn't have it...
So, then I OC'ed at the South Haven Tractor Supply, and they had it! Puppies eat tonight!

Oh, and no one said a thing, even when I returned the cart inside and my strongside was towards the cashiers.

MI_XD

Firearms Iinstuctor

The trooper didn't stop them because my friend was OC but, because it probably looked a little suspicious two people taking a walk late at night, plus we've been having quite a few break-ins around the area lately. So he probably just wanted to check them out.

I guess officers should not check any body out they should just respond to the break in and take a reports.

NHCGRPR45

OC'ed in Kroger on 23 mile rd today. One of the employee's asked if I had heard about the policy on guns in their stores. I said that I had and asked what he had heard. He said that Kroger stores now allow open carry. I said that they always had and he just walked away with a glance at my firearm. A little strange but hey at least he new about it.

the500kid

OC at the Detroit Zoo

I don't usually post because my OC life is so uneventfully boarding and this is no different. So I went to the Detroit Zoo today and while nobody said a word was stared at pretty long and hard by 3 different men within the first 15 min to the point, my usually oblivious to everything on going around her, wife made a comment about two of them. I had noticed them but didn't care. Other than that it was a good uneventful trip to the Detroit zoo.

Evil Creamsicle

Was OCing with a few friends down in Detroit this weekend, talked to a few people, had some delicious tacos from a truck down in Mexicantown... good day.

A couple Jehovah's Witness door-to-door guys rode by us on their bicycles, and I asked them if they 'would like some information about their 2nd Amendment rights'. They were none too pleased.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I haven't posted here in a while; overall OC is pretty uneventful in Michigan. I was in Indiana (Indianapolis) last week and OCd without issue. I also went to visit friends in TN. I had an OK time but appreciate Michigan's OC laws. TN has many "No Firearms" signs and many governmental buildings are off limits. Their CC law specifically treats signs as a "Criminal Empowerment Zones". OCd as much as possible despite OC being much more rare there than here. Glad to be back in Michigan.

Raggs

Been a good summer of OC for me. From the MOC picnic that almost wasn't to day to day store runs and basic out and about. Recieve many more positive comments that negative which is always nice. OC'd at the Michigan Republica State Convention for about 3 hours till I was asked to leave. It is private property and the owner of the venue while a big Republican did not allow firearms and the contract with the Party backed that up. Should have said the owner is a big RINO I guess. I would not be surprised if he supports the party while making a lot of money off the convention.