• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

budlight

Update on Meijer situation:
Received a call from store director Marsha Keefer and was told that Meijer follows state law, and open carry of a firearm is ok. So long as they do not have complaints from other guests. And at that point they would simply request it be concealed or left out in the vehicle.
The store director apologized for how I was treated in her store, and appreciated the feed back on this incident.

So glad that I can now go back and finish my shopping.

Also, the director is a CPL holder as well, and supports gun rights.

Carry on!
Glock214

I would ask the store director how she would handle a complaint from a customer that said they were uncomfortable with African Americans shopping near by? Ask her if she would kick them out, and then counter why you are any different. If one group can play the card, we can play it as well!

budlight

Update on Meijer situation:
Received a call from store director Marsha Keefer and was told that Meijer follows state law, and open carry of a firearm is ok. So long as they do not have complaints from other guests. And at that point they would simply request it be concealed or left out in the vehicle.
The store director apologized for how I was treated in her store, and appreciated the feed back on this incident.

So glad that I can now go back and finish my shopping.

Also, the director is a CPL holder as well, and supports gun rights.

Carry on!
Glock214

Side note: The director needs to terminate the person that told you to leave.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I wonder what the person would have said if you asked to see their Employee ID. I have also wondered if while leaving that dshoplifting alarm went off and you kept going what would they do. Personally I have not had an issue with Meijers.
they would probably try to chase you for a little bit and then give up... :dude:
i have walked out of several stores and set the alarm off and just kept walking. one time at a meijer i purchased some ammo at the back of the store and was exiting out the front. the greeter said they needed to see my receipt and i said "no you don't" and kept walking. they shouted "sir, sir!" until i got outside and that was it. i wasn't open carrying that day.

Evil Creamsicle

I would ask the store director how she would handle a complaint from a customer that said they were uncomfortable with African Americans shopping near by? Ask her if she would kick them out, and then counter why you are any different. If one group can play the card, we can play it as well!

You're welcome to shop here but you have to leave your black in the car.

Or better yet, if we apply this to say... the first amendment? Someone is offended by your words and complains. Imagine this press release:
Hypothetical Comparison said:
'We value your business and would love for you to continue shopping with us. We value state law and the First Amendment, but to foster a safe and family-friendly environment in our stores, we ask that you refrain from speaking while you are visiting our stores. Openly expressed opinions are something we feel are in conflict with the environment we are trying to foster, as families often shop here with their children. Thank you for being a Meijer shopper.'

Does that sound reasonable? Yeah I don't think so either.

Xpiatio

Went to Walgreen's, cashier was very friendly but her boss came up and made sure the coin change machine was shut tight and took some money from the cash register. Then stood right next to her until I left. I kept on smiling and being polite. Paid for my stuff, then left. Kentwood, mi near m6

JoeSparky

Centurion
Went to Walgreen's, cashier was very friendly but her boss came up and made sure the coin change machine was shut tight and took some money from the cash register. Then stood right next to her until I left. I kept on smiling and being polite. Paid for my stuff, then left. Kentwood, mi near m6
I'm confused. the manager actually opened the register drawer, removed some cash, and stood there, cash in hand until you finished your transaction and left? Seems to me if you were a BG that having cash in hand would have been more enticing toward robbery than just leaving it in the register.

Xpiatio

I'm confused. the manager actually opened the register drawer, removed some cash, and stood there, cash in hand until you finished your transaction and left? Seems to me if you were a BG that having cash in hand would have been more enticing toward robbery than just leaving it in the register.
Yes or they put it in a safe of some sort that they can't open.

Raggs

I was thanked by a Walgreen's customer for carrying, she said it made her feel safer.

Glock214

Found out the persons name who approached me, well first name anyway. Scott, and he's a service manager. I wasn't wearing camo lol. However, now that I think about it. I've always been approached while wearing jeans and a t-shirt never when I'm wearing a business causal or suits. Mind you they were nice jeans and shirts I'd wear because I always want to represent my fellow oc'ers in a positive way. I know I shouldn't care, but perception is a big thing for me.

I did mention to the director that I felt as though I was being discriminated against. And that I just wanted to be treated like every other guest that walked in their doors.
She did not want to walk down that path with me she said. All in all she apologized for her employees actions and welcomed me back in her store. So I took that as a win.

Side note, gentlemen behind me waiting for the red box unit I was using mentioned to the manager who approached me that I wasn't breaking any laws, open carry is legal in Michigan, and he can open carry or conceal here because he has a CPL. He couldn't be on the premises if he didn't have one.
It was nice hearing someone educated on Michigan laws.

Glock214

I was thanked by a Walgreen's customer for carrying, she said it made her feel safer.

I've been thanked a few times as well for carrying. It was odd at first, however nice when I hear it now. I'm still constantly asked questions at stores about oc. I stopped carrying flyers like I used to, thinking about doing so again. Although I love speaking to people regarding something I'm so passionate about. So when they stop me, I don't mind at all. They usually walk away very excited and wanting to start oc'ing right away. I always caution them to learn the laws before they carry open or concealed.

OC4me

I was in Meijers in Greenville, waiting in the pharmacy line with my son to pick up his prescription. I was cc'ing because we just left the doctor's office but there was a gentleman ahead of me open carrying. I went out of my way to say thanks and told him that I was glad to see him oc'ing. The lady directly behind him definitely saw it but didn't seem worried.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today at:

Beacon & Bridge near Montrose...

and

Wal Mart in Clio...

Nothing related to my sidearm happened at all but when I parked my Camaro in a handicap parking spot a gentleman who had parked his vehicle with a handicap license plate in the next aisle kept looking .... and looking... and looking... and it happened that he and the folks with him were right behind me as we all walked in.

We all went about our shopping but I was a bit bothered by the guy looking so hard so when we crossed paths as we shopped I struck up a conversation with the guy and discovered he wasn't the least bit concerned whether I had a handicap plate or not (I do)... he just liked the car.

Although I saw folks notice my sidearm (especially those unfortunates using those little go cart thingys) no one said anything or even had any disapproving facial expressions. But then a smile and a "good morning" always seems to set folks at ease.

Something odd did happen when I used the drive thru at Taco Bell in Clio though. There was a park patrol officer (still a cop in a cop car) parked next to Taco Bell when I drove in. He was there when I drove out too so I pulled up alongside him and asked if he had had lunch yet. And when I offered to buy his lunch... he turned down a free lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandbag747

OCed for the first time ever last Friday. It happened to be a city wide yard sale day and my birthday so I open carried all day, walked around for seven hours and only two people even said anything, one of them because they were a friend. The other guys just said, "Open carrying huh?" I said yup and he said that was pretty bold and said he preferred concealed carrying. I don't even think most people noticed. At one point I was even talking to a state trooper who didn't even say anything and keep in mind I still get carded trying to buy m rated games.
I did OC at a Chinese place though and some girls in the corner stared at me the entire time but never said anything

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

Raggs

OCed for the first time ever last Friday. It happened to be a city wide yard sale day and my birthday so I open carried all day, walked around for seven hours and only two people even said anything, one of them because they were a friend. The other guys just said, "Open carrying huh?" I said yup and he said that was pretty bold and said he preferred concealed carrying. I don't even think most people noticed. At one point I was even talking to a state trooper who didn't even say anything and keep in mind I still get carded trying to buy m rated games.
I did OC at a Chinese place though and some girls in the corner stared at me the entire time but never said anything

They thought you were cute and they were shy. And welcome to OCDO.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Good decision. Private your property rights trump my 2A right.

Walgreens has no duty to protect you beyond meeting the requirements for providing a safe workplace...OSHA type of stuff. Now, it could be argued that protecting you from criminals should be included.

I wonder if a citizen could be fired from their state/county,city government job for CCing on the job based on the opinion of the court?

OC4me

Oc'd at Meijers in Greenville, uneventful. Afterwards went to the Spencer Township offices and adjoining library. Met with the township staff about zoning, setback and other matters as they relate to our property. No problems as it should be.