• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Michigander

Went into a starbucks, honored their request to not OC, and see a middle aged woman in trendy clothes carrying a little purple kel tec or ruger 380 or 9mm type thing openly on her hip.

Last edited:

HPmatt

I do banking for our company and have not had any issues OC in any them here in Dallas - Frost, Chase, BankAmerica, Wells Fargo. Don't visit Starbucks but local coffee shops are not an issue.

Going t/b very nice this summer - first year legal to OC in Texas when you need it the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeSchaine

OC'd while voting Tuesday. One of the election officials asked if I was allowed to carry as my polling place is a church. I politely gave her a rundown of the laws regarding who may carry when and where. Her only response: "Oh that's interesting. I had no idea."

Tomorrow, I'll empty holstering it around U of M's hospital. Should be an interesting experience.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today at:

Iverson's Lumber in Montrose to ask a question and get an opinion about a water problem. Got lots of input about the water problem and absolutely no interest in my sidearm.

Then off to Clio:

Stopped for lunch in Taco Bell and paid for a guy's lunch. He was so happy about it he not only thanked me but stopped by where my friend and I were sitting to give me his State Farm Insurance business card and tell me to contact him if he can help me. And there were 2 very nice older ladies that came in later and sat in the booth next to us that asked if I was a cop. I explained that I was not a cop but just an ordinary guy. One of the ladies admitted to being concerned and her friend told her it was legal as long as it was you could see it. And when I mentioned that the criminals hide their guns so they can surprise people I could see the understanding that open carriers are not criminals break through in her face.

Then off to Wal Mart for some groceries where no one cared about my sidearm at all.

Ahhhhh.. but then back at home yes I open carry at home too a salesman from Erie knocked on the door so I recorded his very short visit as I kept telling him, very politely, that I was not interested.

It was a good day with no problems and an opportunity to educate someone about OC a little and get a favorable reaction from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bikenut

OC'd today at:

LaClair's Chevrolet in Chesaning.... and drooled all over a new Corvette.

Advanced Eye also in Chesaning.... need new glasses durn it.

And

Independent Bank in Bridgeport where a fellow patron showed me the money he had withdrawn then pointed at my sidearm and said it was going to go to buying "one of those".

Just another ordinary day doing ordinary things in an ordinary way.

DeSchaine

Did an empty holster carry in one of the U of M medical buildings. No one said a word, though I did get a hairy eyeball from a security goon.

Came home and have OC'd at Coldstone Creamery on Westnedge for a Strawberry Blond waffle cone. Took it over to Bicentennial Park and ate it while around several mothers and their small children. Certainly has been a beautiful day here in SW MI.

xd shooter

OC'd in the local Little League Baseball opening day ceremony and parade. Was questioned by a nice young man (maybe 5) if I was a police officer. I explained to him that No, I'm not. I carry for protection from any bad people, and he seemed to accept that.

He asked to see my gun, so I turned my hip in his direction. I asked his name and shook his hand. His mother standing a few feet away asked if I would shake his hand again so she could get a picture. :)

Totally made my day.

mikestilly

That's one thing I don't think I could do is carry in a bank. I'd be a nervous wreck.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

No reason to be nervous. It's no different then going anywhere. I remember many years ago I had to speak to a manager in the bank office about an issue and she said I'm uncomfortable that you're sitting there with a gun. I simply said would you rather have a criminal who hides the gun in their pants or someone who is prepared to defend themselves and even you if our lives were in danger? There is no reason to fear a good guy with a gun whose here simply to have a new debit card issued. She agreed with me, I completed my transaction and never had anyone even ask me about my firearm since. This was over 10 years ago. The funny thing is sometimes new people to open carry are more nervous then when you're in public. Most people don't even know you're carrying. They are too busy into their cell phone. The key is to be confident by learning the laws and being able to handle yourself as a responsible firearms owner. Many times this is done through experience and time. Don't be nervous. Know the laws and be confident. Also be prepared with a recorder anytime you OC. It's a good insurance policy for yourself. Do date I've never had to use any of my recordings except to play it back for educational purposes.

Last edited:

DeSchaine

OC'd in the local Little League Baseball opening day ceremony and parade. Was questioned by a nice young man (maybe 5) if I was a police officer. I explained to him that No, I'm not. I carry for protection from any bad people, and he seemed to accept that.

He asked to see my gun, so I turned my hip in his direction. I asked his name and shook his hand. His mother standing a few feet away asked if I would shake his hand again so she could get a picture. :)

Totally made my day.

Had a similar experience today at my sons game. Two little tykes (3 and 5) noticed I had my sidearm and got that wide eyed curiosity that comes with being young and not exposed to a lot yet. Their mom was right there, looked down at my side, then at me and smiled. The 5 yr old asked to see it, and I told him not until he was much older and his parents were ok with it. Mom was cool with the whole thing, didn't make a scene or throw a fit.

Later on, grabbed some food at the Wendy's on Sprinkle Rd. One of the guys behind the counter asked me if I had my CCW. Told him no, I had a CPL, it's pretty much the same thing. Turns out he's only been here in MI for a few months and was frustrated by not being able to carry with his ILL issued CCW. I told him to wait a few more months and apply with the county to get an MI CPL, and told him about the reciprocity law here.

All in all, a pretty good day.

OC4me

OC'd at Family Farm in Cedar Springs and Meijer in Greenville. No issues as always. My wife commented that several persons did notice including one lady whose 'oh my' look faded into a smile and that was basically it.

B

Bikenut

OC'd yesterday in Owosso at Ponderosa (the site of at least one meeting of some of the original MOC members I was at that meeting a long time ago but was/am not a member of MOC) where my sidearm garnered a few looks and a bit of a conversation with the folks we had lunch with....

The Meijer store in Corunna where a fellow pointed at my sidearm and said "Thank you" as he passed by....

Then

Olive Garden in Saginaw for supper where I stuffed myself full of spaghetti w/meatballs while no one much cared about seeing a fellow diner wearing a gun..........

fozzy71

OC'd at the parade today on my bicycle. Had one good conversation about it with a CPL holder and saw lots of LEO. No issues obviously. It was too hot to wait around and see MOC walking in the parade.

xd shooter

Well, I have had my first negative encounter...

Placing flags on the graves of veterans on Saturday in preparation of Memorial Day. Lots of families, lots of kids. The older black gentelman who is somewhat of a caretaker of the cemetery approached and asked, somewhat loudly, "Why Open Carry?"

I was a bit taken aback, having just been introduced to this gentelman by his son who is the superintendent of our public works, who although very liberal, seems to have no issue with my carrying as we have discussed many political opinions over the last couple of years...

I replied that it was more comfortable, number one. He relied, "More comfortable for YOU, not everyone else here...."

During the rest of the discussion he expressed how, as a Black Man, seeing me, a White Man with a gun, he felt threatened! I asked if he felt threatened by a cop carrying a weapon, he replied absolutely, "I'm BLACK!"

He suggested that there were more white men killing blacks than blacks killing whites, that it was almost always white men perpetrating mass shootings.... I queried on his thoughts of how many blacks are killing blacks like in Chicago, his reply... Oh those are just one on one, not the same as mass shootings by whites...

During all of this, a nice little old white lady was siding with me, saying she felt safer with me there, and a lot of the kids were coming up to me, offering hugs and wanting pics taken with me (I know most of them as friends of nieces and nephews). He was more threatened than all the kids and their parents! Lol!

Unfortunately I did not get it recorded, I was in truth a bit shocked by the attention... I'm certain I will run into this individual again, and I'm sure we'll continue the discussion... :)

solus

XD, why play the game with the elderly black gentleman. you can not win nor have the lifetime needed in changing his 'learned' perception of his real or perceived existence slights.

any engagement will continue to be a frustrating experience for you and i do not need Carnac the Magnificent's skill set to predict their ethnicity fallacy will dominate the discussion.

smile and find another commonality to share will bring more reward overall.

ipse

added: i feel threaten by nice LE's w/guns when i am out OC'g since i do not know why they might be approaching me.

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Placing flags on the graves of veterans on Saturday in preparation of Memorial Day. Lots of families, lots of kids. The older black gentelman who is somewhat of a caretaker of the cemetery approached and asked, somewhat loudly, "Why Open Carry?"

I was a bit taken aback, having just been introduced to this gentelman by his son who is the superintendent of our public works, who although very liberal, seems to have no issue with my carrying as we have discussed many political opinions over the last couple of years...

I replied that it was more comfortable, number one. He relied, "More comfortable for YOU, not everyone else here...."

During the rest of the discussion he expressed how, as a Black Man, seeing me, a White Man with a gun, he felt threatened! I asked if he felt threatened by a cop carrying a weapon, he replied absolutely, "I'm BLACK!"

He suggested that there were more white men killing blacks than blacks killing whites, that it was almost always white men perpetrating mass shootings.... I queried on his thoughts of how many blacks are killing blacks like in Chicago, his reply... Oh those are just one on one, not the same as mass shootings by whites...

During all of this, a nice little old white lady was siding with me, saying she felt safer with me there, and a lot of the kids were coming up to me, offering hugs and wanting pics taken with me (I know most of them as friends of nieces and nephews). He was more threatened than all the kids and their parents! Lol!

Unfortunately I did not get it recorded, I was in truth a bit shocked by the attention... I'm certain I will run into this individual again, and I'm sure we'll continue the discussion... :)

Sounds like you ran into a Black Lies Matter (no, that isn't a typo) activist. No hope for reaching HIM, but props for keeping a calm and civil demeanor. After all, you won't change HIS mind, but you might help onlookers see the light. :)

B

Bikenut

It never ceases to amaze me when someone says that open carry makes them (feel) uncomfortable so you shouldn't do it. They are essentially saying that you should not do anything that makes them feel uncomfortable because they, and their feelings, are more important than you and your rights.

Also I must ask why your recorder isn't running at all times instead of waiting for an incident to happen before turning it on? I have my video/audio recorder running all the time I am in public simply because incidents like yours happen so fast and unexpectedly there isn't time to turn on a recorder.... not to mention missing the essential lead up to and the beginning of an incident that a jury would be very interested in if you do remember to turn it on after the incident starts.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
It never ceases to amaze me when someone says that open carry makes them (feel) uncomfortable so you shouldn't do it. They are essentially saying that you should not do anything that makes them feel uncomfortable because they, and their feelings, are more important than you and your rights.......

I live very near the Canadian border, so we get a great deal of Canadian shoppers in our local stores and shops. Last weekend there was some sort of Canadian holiday so there were BUNCHES of them.
On two separate occasions I had store managers come to me and apologize because they had an MWAG complaint. Both times we were met with cordiality and apologies for the attitudes of those who fear weapons. Both managers commended us for open carrying and our support for the Second Amendment.

I am not sorry if you "feel" uncomfortable with me doing something not only legal, but embraced by my Constitution and the Founding Fathers. "Let the Gun, be your constant companion......."

B

Bikenut

OC'd today in Clio at Wal Mart where I bought a push mower under the constant gaze of a young couple buying stuff for their garden. Perhaps they never saw an ordinary guy carrying a gun before. Other than that no one seemed to mind and the staff were most helpful in selling me the mower.

Last edited by a moderator: