• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

karlmc10

OK, I'll start a new one. OCed getting fuel in Gaylord yesterday, then went to St. Helen. Got some pizza at the Marathon gas station-pizzaria-market. No one running and screaming in the other direction, no reactions whatever. I honestly don't think anyone noticed. It's funny because I carry a 5" 1911 in stainless so it's not like it was camo'ed or anything. So much for the everyday man's SA.

stainless1911

Banned
Ok, I like a fresh start. I haven't been out yet, but when I do, Ill be OCing. A part of the .40 barrel broke, Im hoping springfield armory warranty people get it back to me soon. Lately I've been OCing a 8" Colt .45 in a leg drop. I'm sooo not used to that cannon lol. The barrel tends to whack me in the knee as I walk. Revolvers suck.

Last edited:

quarter horseman

OCed at Dorr subway on Sunday on issues as normal and as it should be. Carry on

O and I will be OCing at Byron Family Resturant on Fiyday at 6:30 with Shadow bear. Kinda looking forward to this one, I dont see much postings for Byron Center so It might get interesting hopfully not.

Last edited:

MarineSgt

This is the audio I uploaded to YouTube from an OC encounter I had at Kollen Park in Holland, Mi. This was my first and only encounter I have had with the police while OCing. Since I was OCing in a non-Pistol-Free-Zone, there was no need to show him my Concealed Pistol License (Which I don't need to OC at the park). Michigan is not a Stop-and-ID State.

[video=youtube;dvhT7tW-NW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhT7tW-NW0[/video]

Here is the backstory and the transcript I made a few hours after the incident.
Since I was sitting in the grass with my family I didn't do the "Am I free to leave" or "What am I being detained for" line of Wash, Rinse, and Repeat.

My wife and I decide to go to Kollen Park in Holland for the “Celebration Freedom Festival” they are having. My wife is pregnant and we take our two girls, which are 1.5 and 2.5 years along with us. I’m open carrying a HK USP .40 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster. After walking around for about a half an hour and letting the kids do some activities we sit down to listen to a band play on the steel drums. We pull the wagon with our girls in it off of the path and sit down in the grass. Once I get settled I notice two Holland PD lieutenants walking down the path. I notice they are walking towards me while pretending to be walking past me. That is when I greet them. They take a step past me in order to see my side and then start talking to me.
This is the first time I OC’d with my wife along and she was really embarrassed; almost to the point of crying and wanting to leave. Some “Celebration Freedom Festival”!

Me: How ya’ doin?
Cop 1: Do you have an ID for carrying.
Me: I do. I have an ID.
Cop 1: Ok, may I see it?
Me: No.
Cop 1: Why not?
Me: What do you need to see my ID for?
Cop 1: Because we have a lot of people around here, you’re carrying a gun and they’re worried about it.
Me: That’s fine.
Me: It’s not illegal.
Cop 1: Well I need to see a permit.
Me: Permit for what?
Cop 1: Carry.
Me: For open carrying?
Cop 1: Yeah.
Me: There is no permits for open carrying.
*Cops pause*
Cop 1: Do you think it’s cool scaring people or, what?
Me: It’s not cool.
Cop 1: Ok well.
Me: It’s my right.
Cop 2: We just wanna see a CCW permit. (I think this is what he said)
Me: You have, you have a firearm.
Cop 1: Ya.
Me: Are people scared of your firearm?
Cop 1: Ok.
Me: Am I doing anything illegal?
Me: *shaking head* No.
Cop 1: No, not right now.
Me: Ok, thanks. *I turn away from him*

Last edited:

quarter horseman

Cop 1: Because we have a lot of people around here, you’re carrying a gun and they’re worried about it.
*Cops pause*

I like the way you handle this conversation! one of the best yet Ive read.

Onnie

Just returned from my first ride on my Motorcycle of 2011. Oc with my S&W 40 cal
stopped at Meijers in Monroe for gas after ride. Two younger guys getting gas in front of me, scurried into a huddle talked a bit, kept looking at me as they were talking to each other, then one went to the back of their SUV looked as if he was hiding somthing and was IMO acting kinda strange. I guess I kinda spooked them, but I don't care, not interested what they were up to, they were not bothering me or coming anywhere near me.

all in all one cold day on the bike

MarineSgt

Thanks. Reading and listening to others OC experiences really gave me the confidence to try it on my own.

The first few times I OCd getting gas. Hop out, pump gas, hop back it. I did that a few times and then I OCd in TrueValue hardware store. After that I OCd pretty much everywhere in my area. You could say I dipped my toe in to test the waters before jumping in.

Last edited:

pacman552SD

i had my first gun related experience today.

backstory: i was out in the woods carrying my moison nagant in a gun case to go shoot it in the woods. i was going to shoot it into a small vally that many people around marquette shoot at. in the area i was going to shoot at there are many snomobile and cross contry skiing trials. on my way there a trail official stoped to talk to me about shooting there. on my way back from shooting a state police officer stop to talk to me. here are how both converstions went

(on my way to shoot):
(pickup truck pulls up next to me and rolls down his window)
me: hello.

trail official(T.O): hi there, what are you doing out here?

me: im going to target shoot

T.O: were do you plan on shooting?

me: down by the vally a little ways up ther road.

T.O: you know that there are alot of ski trails out here and that shooting could be dangerus.

me: i am going to be shooting down into the vally and i am aware about the trails that run thought these woods. it is legal to shoot out here and i am not breaking any laws.

T.O: there are skiers out here what if you hit them. shooting here is dangerus and there have been alot of police out here trying to stop the shooting

me: i am going to be safe. i am shooting down into the vally. there are no ski trails down there or infront of were i am going to be shooting.

T.O: you shoudnt do that. people who are shooting out here are getting into trouble with the law. just last week someone was written a ticket for shooting glass bottles and littering

me: i am shooting a paper target and what i am doing is perfectly legal

T.O: alot of people out here have been bump fireing AK's and M16's.

me: i have a bolt action rifle so i dont belive that bump firering will be a problem for me today. sir i understand what you are trying to say to me but i am always cautious when i shoot and i do not plan on doing anything dangerus.

T.O: fine we will see about that

me: have a good day.

then he drives of and i go to shoot. now on my way back after putting about 30 rounds down range.

(michigan state police officer pulls up):

me : hello officer

him: hello. were you target shooting today?

me: yes sir . im just on my way back to my car.

him: sorry to bother you but i got a call about somone shooting and the caller was concerned

me: ya i was shooting so it was probly me. on my way here i talked to a trail official and explaned i would be shooting safley. i shot down into a vally and i picked up all my spent shell caseings when i was done.

him: as long as you are safe its perfectly fine to shoot out here

me: i always am safe.

him: i understand. the trail official is the one who called. im sorry to have bothered you i was just responding to a call. would you like a ride back to your car?

me:no its just another 100 yards but thank you officer . you have a nice day!

him: you too.

all in all i think this was a possitive experience with michigan state police. unfortunatly i dont think the trail offial was much of a postive experience but whatever besides im only doing whats legal ;)

Golden Eagle

So sad that almost 3 years of data is gone. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't cry click here:
http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20081017132127/http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/11799.html

History: The first "List your open carry experiences here" thread, was started by Venator Tue Jun 10th, 2008 02:17 pm and had over twelve hundred replies. February 2011 it was accidentally deleted.

Is bump firing illegal? I've never heard of anyone calling it out until now.
I'd just say it would be in the safety discussion... You can't really aim.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is the audio I uploaded to YouTube from an OC encounter I had at Kollen Park in Holland, Mi. This was my first and only encounter I have had with the police while OCing. Since I was OCing in a non-Pistol-Free-Zone, there was no need to show him my Concealed Pistol License (Which I don't need to OC at the park). Michigan is not a Stop-and-ID State.

Here is the backstory and the transcript I made a few hours after the incident.
Since I was sitting in the grass with my family I didn't do the "Am I free to leave" or "What am I being detained for" line of Wash, Rinse, and Repeat.

My wife and I decide to go to Kollen Park in Holland for the “Celebration Freedom Festival” they are having. My wife is pregnant and we take our two girls, which are 1.5 and 2.5 years along with us. I’m open carrying a HK USP .40 in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster. After walking around for about a half an hour and letting the kids do some activities we sit down to listen to a band play on the steel drums. We pull the wagon with our girls in it off of the path and sit down in the grass. Once I get settled I notice two Holland PD lieutenants walking down the path. I notice they are walking towards me while pretending to be walking past me. That is when I greet them. They take a step past me in order to see my side and then start talking to me.
This is the first time I OC’d with my wife along and she was really embarrassed; almost to the point of crying and wanting to leave. Some “Celebration Freedom Festival”!

*Cops pause*

+1

Nice job - nice day to in the park, trust that the rest of the day went well for you and your family.

Last edited:

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
Mio McDonalds

Went to Mio Mc'Ds yesterday to meet with another 9-12 member to go over strategy for an upcoming Lawful Carry meeting that we are planing. We were just about finished when we were approached by two employees. The first one asked if one of us had a gun and I said "that would be me" I then was informed that they want to insure that there business remained a Criminal Empowerment Zone in that my gun was not welcome. Since I'm very close to my gun, I decided it was time to exit the premises. I handed the employee one of those "no guns, no money" cards and we left. We will meet at the local library or some other place next time.springerdave.

Rich B

Went to Mio Mc'Ds yesterday to meet with another 9-12 member to go over strategy for an upcoming Lawful Carry meeting that we are planing. We were just about finished when we were approached by two employees. The first one asked if one of us had a gun and I said "that would be me" I then was informed that they want to insure that there business remained a Criminal Empowerment Zone in that my gun was not welcome. Since I'm very close to my gun, I decided it was time to exit the premises. I handed the employee one of those "no guns, no money" cards and we left. We will meet at the local library or some other place next time.springerdave.

In my experience with franchises, a well worded call and letter to the owner about how rudely you were treated for being a law abiding citizen by those two employees can modify their future behavior.

YMMV