• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Well it took three years but I knew that sadly, it was bound to happen. Last night around 10, a friend and I decided to go grab some food after working on his truck. We headed to Ihop in Benton Harbor, and I was OCing as always. We walked in the door and were greeted by the hostess who asked our preference on a booth or table. An older guy, who I assume was the manager, came around the corner and asked how we were doing. Before either of us could reply I saw him glance at my gun and he gave me an appalled look, and said "I can't let you come in with a gun." I asked him what his reason was and he simply repeated himself. I turned around to told my buddy we were leaving. The guy then said "You don't have to leave, just put it in your vehicle." To which I responded "Sir, I'm not disarming myself because you or anyone else feels uncomfortable, and you've lost my business for good." As we left I checked around the doors and windows and there were no signs or stickers posted anywhere stating no weapons, though it doesn't matter as either way, I won't be returning to that Ihop, at least until I have been in contact with the head manager or owner.

this is not surprising. some IHOPs welcome guns, others don't. i'm not sure if IHOP has a corporate policy or if each store manager is empowered with that authority. i do know that rick ector has a boycott ihop group because they have armed guards and metal detectors in detroit.
https://www.facebook.com/BoycottTheDetroitIHOP

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
this is not surprising. some IHOPs welcome guns, others don't. i'm not sure if IHOP has a corporate policy or if each store manager is empowered with that authority. i do know that rick ector has a boycott ihop group because they have armed guards and metal detectors in detroit.
Many (most?) IHOPs are franchise facilities and may not be bound by any corporate direction regarding guns.
http://www.ihop.com/about-ihop/franchise-opportunities

Redneck125

http://www.legallyarmedindetroit.com/2010/04/ihops-policy-on-guns-in-its-franchised.html?m=1

Granted this is a bit old but according to this, Ihop corporate has informed their franchises that they are to comply with state and local laws. I have sent an email to their corporate office to confirm this. And I have a call put in to the head manager at this location to discuss the situation with him.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

MikeTheGreek

Everybody here disappeared! Ah!

Anyway. Bought a SIG P228 from a guy in Livonia (Amazing deal, I almost kissed him) and I've been OC'ing that around. A little heavier than my G19 I've been carrying, but nowhere near as heavy as my CZ75B, just a perfect balance.

I keep getting "Hey man nice Glock" while I OC the last few days...so I'm pretty sure people in Detroit think everything is made by Glock.

Haven't had any problems, except I'm having a really hard time convincing customers at work that I'm really not a cop. Guy came in last week, saw my SIG, told me that he watches a lot of NCIS and that he's not fooled by my lies lol.

3+ years of OC now and still no screaming kids, haven't been a target because of my OC, haven't gotten robbed of my gun or tased by a cop? Nothing the anti-gun people promised me, disappointment. :banana:

FreeInAZ

Everybody here disappeared! Ah!

Anyway. Bought a SIG P228 from a guy in Livonia (Amazing deal, I almost kissed him) and I've been OC'ing that around. A little heavier than my G19 I've been carrying, but nowhere near as heavy as my CZ75B, just a perfect balance.

I keep getting "Hey man nice Glock" while I OC the last few days...so I'm pretty sure people in Detroit think everything is made by Glock.

Haven't had any problems, except I'm having a really hard time convincing customers at work that I'm really not a cop. Guy came in last week, saw my SIG, told me that he watches a lot of NCIS and that he's not fooled by my lies lol.

3+ years of OC now and still no screaming kids, haven't been a target because of my OC, haven't gotten robbed of my gun or tased by a cop? Nothing the anti-gun people promised me, disappointment. :banana:

MIKE - be happy and enjoy what those before you fought hard for. :dude:

On topic OCed with over 500 other people today. Not one single crime reported in the group, go figure? :cool:

Last edited:

Redneck125

Went to go see Fury last night with my grandfather at Wonderland Cinema in Niles. After I had paid for the tickets and snacks the manager approached me and told me I was not allowed to carry. He told me it was the owners rules and there was nothing he could do. Now normally I won't disarm, I'll just leave. But since my grandfather was leaving today It was the only chance to see the movie with him, I decided to put my gun in the car and deal with it later. On my way back in I did a good check for any no weapons signs and there were none. I have since left not only a message but also sent an email to the owner saying that they should put up signs at both enterences that state their policy and also that they have lost my business indefinitely.

Also when the manager was talking to me he told me that the Niles police department had told him and the owner that there was no open carry allowed because the seating compacity is less than 1,000, so that the only way to carry there if the owner was to allow it would be concealed. I did explain to the manager that this was wrong. Just goes to show how well cops, the people who are paid to defend and uphold the law, know the laws themselves.

solus

Went to go see Fury last night with my grandfather at Wonderland Cinema in Niles. After I had paid for the tickets and snacks the manager approached me and told me I was not allowed to carry. He told me it was the owners rules and there was nothing he could do. Now normally I won't disarm, I'll just leave. But since my grandfather was leaving today It was the only chance to see the movie with him, I decided to put my gun in the car and deal with it later. On my way back in I did a good check for any no weapons signs and there were none. I have since left not only a message but also sent an email to the owner saying that they should put up signs at both enterences that state their policy and also that they have lost my business indefinitely.

Also when the manager was talking to me he told me that the Niles police department had told him and the owner that there was no open carry allowed because the seating compacity is less than 1,000, so that the only way to carry there if the owner was to allow it would be concealed. I did explain to the manager that this was wrong. Just goes to show how well cops, the people who are paid to defend and uphold the law, know the laws themselves.

sorry to hear you had to disarm, but in the cirumstances, would have also wanted to spend time w/your GF.
remember, the nice peace officers across our nation do not have to a responsibility to respond let alone defend citizens, as upheld by SCotUS.
(sush...don't tell grape, but how was the movie?)
ipse

Last edited:

Scooter

Unusual day of OC..

I have picked up some side work at Cabela's at the gun counter and am pleased to have seen at least 4 people OCing in the store, very cool.

Now about today,
I have OCd for at least 5 years now. Today was the most eventful day by far. My wife and I went to Kohls, Walmart, Meijer, Ruby Tuesdays, Salvation Army family store, Halloween store at the mall and Hobby Lobby. At Hobby Lobby the cashier had positive things to say. At the Salvation Army store one of the workers shook my hand and said he was glad to see some OCing. At Ruby Tuesdays the waitress was positive about OC and talked freely with us.Also, at Walmart the guy in line behind me asked "what are you carrying?" which lead to a good conversation. We talked for awhile since the person ahead of us was writing a check. This was easily the most interactions I've ever had and they were all positive.
I don't post as much as I could because most people either don't notice me OCing and/or don't care. Today was pretty noteworthy to me and a reminder that I really SHOULD post even when nothing happens just to encourage others who may not be comfortable enough yet to OC.
Thanks again to all the men and women who have blazed the trail for us and helped to make OC a more common and accepted thing!

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

I have picked up some side work at Cabela's at the gun counter and am pleased to have seen at least 4 people OCing in the store, very cool.

Now about today,
I have OCd for at least 5 years now. Today was the most eventful day by far. My wife and I went to Kohls, Walmart, Meijer, Ruby Tuesdays, Salvation Army family store, Halloween store at the mall and Hobby Lobby. At Hobby Lobby the cashier had positive things to say. At the Salvation Army store one of the workers shook my hand and said he was glad to see some OCing. At Ruby Tuesdays the waitress was positive about OC and talked freely with us. This was easily the most interactions I've ever had and they were all positive.
I don't post as much as I could because most people either don't notice me OCing and/or don't care. Today was pretty noteworthy to me and a reminder that I really SHOULD post even when nothing happens just to encourage others who may not be comfortable enough yet to OC.
Thanks again to all the men and women who have blazed the trail for us and helped to make OC a more common and accepted thing!

Hey! You're probably seen me. Me & My brother go there 2-3 weekends a month both OC.

Scooter

Hey! You're probably seen me. Me & My brother go there 2-3 weekends a month both OC.

Great! Stop by the gun counter next time you're in and say "hello". I work Thursday, Friday and Saturday (times vary). I get to play with/talk guns all day, one of the best part time jobs ever!

Scooter/Scott

MikeTheGreek

Great! Stop by the gun counter next time you're in and say "hello". I work Thursday, Friday and Saturday (times vary). I get to play with/talk guns all day, one of the best part time jobs ever!

Scooter/Scott

Will do! I'll just say hi to each counter guy and give them a really weird look until I find you...please make sure they don't kick me out. :uhoh:

If you see a 24 year old with tattoos and a mohawk, or a darius rucker hat, it's going to be me.

Scooter

Will do! I'll just say hi to each counter guy and give them a really weird look until I find you...please make sure they don't kick me out. :uhoh:

If you see a 24 year old with tattoos and a mohawk, or a darius rucker hat, it's going to be me.

Just look for "Scott", that should narrow it down for you ;)

the500kid

MiketheGreek somewhere on this forum is buried a big discussion about the zoo long story short somebody wrote the zoo and the zoo said they can't restrict legal carry of a firearm. The summer before last a zoo guy at the kangaroo thing stopped me at the kangaroo lock thing and said hold on I've got to call and see if your allowed in here like that. To wich I said "the zoo can't restrict lawful carry of a fire arm ". He said good enough for me and didn't call it in. He said we was retired DPD and was probably the only one to notice. And there is my second boring zoo story.

OC in a school today to vote. No issues.

Mitchell

Saline OC

Still carrying out and about in Ann Arbor & Saline. Saw my first wild OC'er right in downtown Saline.

Michigander

No issues ocing for me in the recent past, but we are at the moment fighting against two different instances of police abuse which lead to good ocers being railroaded.

It puts in perspective for me at least the worthless nature of oc dinner circle jerks for those who wish to make a difference. They still have a place for newcomers and people who want to help them learn, but the concept of using them for safety in numbers went out years ago. If you know what you're doing and you're not at least occasionally getting your hands dirty in the field, you're definitively not helping the cause.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
No issues ocing for me in the recent past, but we are at the moment fighting against two different instances of police abuse which lead to good ocers being railroaded.

It puts in perspective for me at least the worthless nature of oc dinner circle jerks for those who wish to make a difference. They still have a place for newcomers and people who want to help them learn, but the concept of using them for safety in numbers went out years ago. If you know what you're doing and you're not at least occasionally getting your hands dirty in the field, you're definitively not helping the cause.

That's a bit harsh. True, there may be many who ONLY carry at an OC event, but there are many more who out there every day, including OC events. Which OCers have been railroaded recently?

Michigander

I'm not arguing, I do agree. But it is important for all of us to stay ready and eager to push the envelope to challenge tyranny. Foias, formal complaints, organizing protests, teaching new shooters, and so on, these are all crucial for each and every one of us who is capable to do as routine.

The one ongoing case is Elijah Woody. The other I am not at this time going to discuss online right now. Details will most likely be out soon.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I'm not arguing, I do agree. But it is important for all of us to stay ready and eager to push the envelope to challenge tyranny. Foias, formal complaints, organizing protests, teaching new shooters, and so on, these are all crucial for each and every one of us who is capable to do as routine.

The one ongoing case is Elijah Woody. The other I am not at this time going to discuss online right now. Details will most likely be out soon.

Elijah Woody needs a go-fund-me page. If the crazy chic from Phoenix can get nearly $120,000 for leaving her kids in a hot car. Someone who is hassled for CWB (carrying while black) should be able to do better. ;)

On topic OCing now - no issues & speaking of turkey's- hey the LIONS won! Happy thanking day victory, my frozen friends to the north east! :cool: PS - it was a chilly 80 F today in my neck of the woods. I had to put on sneakers instead of sandals. Lol.