• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
They know better. They were schooled quite throughly by SmellslikeMichigan over a year ago IIRC? So either their entire security staff turned over since then, or it's their normal shuck & jive they run on all OCers?

OT - OCing now, all good :cool:

yes, i was one of the people to school them. possibly the first. the only one to audio record it to my knowledge. the other people who have refused to leave might be DanM and Evil Creamcicle. IIRC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggJAH_o90fY

Raggs

Open carried at Walmart recently and the Wyoming PD and FD were doing some thing with kids and purchasing gifts for them. Walked around with my wife for over and hour and had no interaction with or comments from the police or firemen. One officer did give me a nod and a smile so all went well.
This past Saturday went to Bronner's in Frankenmuth with my wife OCd and had no issues with anyone at all.

Michigander

Went to dinner tonight with hells saints, Taurus 850cia, and their girlfriend's. We decided it would be good because it's just a tad too cold for being outside, and we were also commemorating the 7 years it's been since this all started. Taurus even remembered his moc challenge coin!

Attachments

• 20150110_212136_zps89447502.jpg
    20150110_212136_zps89447502.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 185
B

Bikenut

Had dinner with good friends at Lucky's Steak House in Clio yesterday evening. The place was packed with about an hour wait for a table. We enjoyed great conversation, fantastic food and excellent service.

And while I got a few looks from other patrons there was no issues what so ever about my sidearm.

See what just a few years of folks actually exercising the right to bear arms can accomplish?

My heartfelt thanks to those brave souls who stepped up in the beginning!

Michigander

Elijah Woody has been found not guilty thanks to the dream team legal help from Terry Johnson and Jim Macowski. Many thanks to those who went to the protests and or donated to help cover the legal costs.

Detroit police continue to harass law abiding open carriers, especially black men. It's like 2009, no support from anyone other than a handful of individuals and a couple excellent lawyers. It's worse though because instead of having the dpd chief going to bat for us like Mike Bouchard did almost 6 years ago, he is instead as a best case scenario overseeing an immensely corrupt agency while hiding behind the endorsement of the decidedly anti oc and realistically not even pro gun nra.

The work is not yet done, and anyone else who wants to get involved I would encourage to do so.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Yooperlady and I went for a drive today in the new Chevy Sonic we bought to keep the miles off our Camaro and we stopped in Greg & Lou's restaurant for dinner. The food was good and, even though I took my jacket off, no one batted an eye about my sidearm.

Oh.. the Sonic got 35.2 mpg for the 50 mile drive. :banana:

B

Bikenut

Took Yooperlady out to KFC in Clio for lunch today. We left $5 for the next person like we generally do and began to eat our lunch. There was a slip of paper in the tray with a website we could go to and say what kind of experience we had so, as a cop came in, I went up to the counter to get the manager's name so I could include her in our review. I said "Hello" to the cop as I walked by and saw him look at my sidearm.

The manager and I talked about the weather and how her husband (we've met him) scares her with the way he drives on slippery roads for quite a while. During that time I am well aware that the cop is hanging back.....

Finally I went back to sit down and finish my lunch and the cop stepped up and ordered his lunch. And the cashier told him we had left $5 for his lunch. He turned and thanked us with a look of disbelief and astonishment on his face.

After lunch we went to Hick's Outdoors in Clio looking for 147gr 9mm JHP ammo.... with no luck. No one cared about my sidearm.

Then off to Wal Mart, also in Clio, for a few small purchases and they didn't have any JHP ammo either.... sigh.... but no one cared about my sidearm there either.

I like it when no one gets excited about seeing a man with a gun. I like it even better when someone who appears .. shall we say... unenthused about seeing an ordinary old fart wearing a gun winds up having their preconceptions challenged.

B

Bikenut

@ Bikenut - well done Sir!

On topic OCing now - nobody cares. as it should be. :cool:
Thank you my friend! Yooperlady and I like to think that we are helping to get folks to look favorably upon OC ...one free lunch at a time.

B

Bikenut

I need to follow you into Taco Bell sometime :)
Come with us sometime... you will still get a free lunch.:lol:

Edited to add....
We found ourselves in Clio's Taco Bell again today and left the $5 for the next person but no one came in before we left.

Then some shopping at Wal Mart....

And while some folks noticed my sidearm not one got upset or anything.... exactly as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

xmanhockey7

Open carried briefly at Freedom Firearms while shooting. Took my jacket off exposing my G30S I was carrying appendix. Nobody batted an eye.

Last edited:

Michigander

Went to trader joes and had a cashier ask about ocing. Gave him a card with a link to my ocing handbook, paid and left.

Also Elijah got his gun back from Detroit finally.

Bironeaj

OC Cabelas Dundee

On my way home from work today, I stopped at Cabelas in Dundee OC'ing my S&W M&P 22 compact. When I first walked in the door, the greeter noticed my pistol and said hello in a very nervous voice (he called the police on me after I walked by). I continued on my way to buy more .22 ammo. On my way to the registers, I noticed two Michigan State Police Officers walking towards me. They noticed my pistol and said hello as they walked by. Other than that, I wasn't asked any questions or even stopped. I was waiting in line at the registers (listening range from the greeter) and the police began to talk with the greeter. I heard the two police officers tell the greeter that Michigan was an open carry state, explained the law to him, and they left. I OC in Cabelas almost every time I go with no problem. Maybe the greeter is new and doesn't know the store policy? Mainly, I just wanted to say that the two responding MSP officers were very professional and handled the situation in the best way possible.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
On my way home from work today, I stopped at Cabelas in Dundee OC'ing my S&W M&P 22 compact. When I first walked in the door, the greeter noticed my pistol and said hello in a very nervous voice (he called the police on me after I walked by). I continued on my way to buy more .22 ammo. On my way to the registers, I noticed two Michigan State Police Officers walking towards me. They noticed my pistol and said hello as they walked by. Other than that, I wasn't asked any questions or even stopped. I was waiting in line at the registers (listening range from the greeter) and the police began to talk with the greeter. I heard the two police officers tell the greeter that Michigan was an open carry state, explained the law to him, and they left. I OC in Cabelas almost every time I go with no problem. Maybe the greeter is new and doesn't know the store policy? Mainly, I just wanted to say that the two responding MSP officers were very professional and handled the situation in the best way possible.
Would have been good to have a short polite conversation with the store manager before you left. As you say, new employees are not always up to speed.

Michigander

The msp does tend to be extremely courteous and professional. I have never had a bad encounter with a msp officer in the field. The closest thing would have been years ago when we were getting unlawfully detained by another agency and a msp desk sergeant we had on the phone refused to do his job and send msp officers to investigate.

FreeInAZ

Even MSP has its share of crap heads. I once had a MSP officer tell me to get out of my car. Once I did, since he could find no violation (fishing expedition) he wrote me a ticket for no seat belt. The thing is - he knew I had it on, that's why he had me unbuckle to get out. :(

Took it to court - the First Lady to speak told a story identical to mine. The judge asked others to raise their hands if they were there for the same thing by the same officer? Most of the people there raised their hands. The judge looking very irked, called the officers partner to the bench, after a quiet yet stern chat, the judge said "everyone who has a seatbelt ticket by officer "X", who raised your hand; Your ticket is dismissed!"

OT - OCing now. :)

Last edited:

jeffrey-r

OCed all day today while I ran around for about 7 hours with my two buddy to shop for a new truck (his truck, not for me). Went to half a dozen different dealerships, not a word was said about my gun, everything was fine.

Michigander

Went to dinner tonight with youtuber chuckley54494, his friend, evil creamsicle and hells saints. We all had a good and productive time talking about what we've learned from the past and how we hope to apply it to the future.