• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

FreeInAZ

OC'd today in Clio at Wal Mart where I bought a push mower under the constant gaze of a young couple buying stuff for their garden. Perhaps they never saw an ordinary guy carrying a gun before. Other than that no one seemed to mind and the staff were most helpful in selling me the mower.
Was it a "reel" push mower? The older folks will get my pun.
[emoji14]

Glad to hear your doing well my friend. Gearing up for lawn season here too....err...I mean watering the rocks & cacti. ;)

Took this pic on one of my recent OC strolls in the dark. (Too hot to walk the dog during the day now.)
de63a6d6af20ecf8df88d25a51334d33.jpg

As usual no issues, no crying babies, no shrieking women, no manly men pounding their chests in indignation. As it should be.

xd shooter

Also I must ask why your recorder isn't running at all times instead of waiting for an incident to happen before turning it on? I have my video/audio recorder running all the time I am in public simply because incidents like yours happen so fast and unexpectedly there isn't time to turn on a recorder.... not to mention missing the essential lead up to and the beginning of an incident that a jury would be very interested in if you do remember to turn it on after the incident starts.

Point taken. Call it complacency. I've been carrying around here so long without issue that I no longer have my recorder handy...

Va_Nemo

Last edited:

fozzy71

Had a MWAG call encounter in Saint Claire Shores yesterday while walking around for some exercise and killing time while my bedding was washing at the laundromat. The encounter lasted about 30 seconds. They said someone called, asked if I was simply exercising my right to OC, and said have a nice day.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today at:

Independent Bank in Bridgeport with no problems at all....

Weiss Equipment in Frankenmuth where my friend and I engaged in friendly banter with the staff and another customer...

Kentucky Fried Chicken in Clio where an older gentleman was very pleased to discover his meal had been paid for. He made it a point to shake my hand and thank me for his lunch.

Wal Mart in Clio.... where one gentleman acted very suspiciously watching me intently walking behind me (raising my awareness level another notch) as we both exited the store and making a point of walking unnecessarily close to me (putting me on alert) as I stood by my car while he was walking back to his car where he just stood for a very long time without getting in. He stood there until I had loaded my purchases into my car before finally getting into his car. Very odd behavior but nothing happened.

A side note:
It sure helps to have a friend with you so he can either load the car while you watch your surroundings or watch all around while you load the car.

Michigander

My 3rd book is underway. It will be downloadable for free and is a guide on how not to screw up and accidentally create a destructive and uncontrollable monster like myself and others did founding MOC. It also investigates numerous other states histories, and covers many other topics not often discussed but very often experienced in the field, such as how to handle manipulative liars in the media.

If you have lengthy experience organizing open carry related activism in a state other than Michigan, I'd like to talk to you and put some of your regional information in.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Was it a "reel" push mower? The older folks will get my pun.
[emoji14]

Glad to hear your doing well my friend. Gearing up for lawn season here too....err...I mean watering the rocks & cacti. ;)

Took this pic on one of my recent OC strolls in the dark. (Too hot to walk the dog during the day now.)
de63a6d6af20ecf8df88d25a51334d33.jpg

As usual no issues, no crying babies, no shrieking women, no manly men pounding their chests in indignation. As it should be.
Hi friend! I used a "reel" mower when I was a kid. Our farmhouse was on a bit of a hill so in some spots the only way to mow was to go downhill, which was easy, but then the mower had to be dragged back uphill. I hated that thing!

Firearms Iinstuctor

My bothers and I rescued a powered push behind from the local dump and got it running it was a real step up from the reel mower.

I open carry when mowing but does it really matter as there is no one around to see me. The closest neighbor is almost a 40 away.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

OC'd at the Corunna Rd. Wal Mart in Flint today and while checking if there was any .22 ammo a lady member of the staff walked up, shook my hand, and said "Thank you for making me safer while you are in my store."

A very uplifting experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeSchaine

OC'd at the Wear Orange event at Bronson Park in Kalamazoo. Did not wear orange, but stood at the edge of the gathering and listened to the speakers contradict each other. City Commissioner Don Cooney called for banning assault weapons, while the lady after him (didn't catch her name) talked about how it's not about banning guns. Saw one other OC'er there with his family.

As they got ready to march, I drove down to the Coney Island and got a Mtn. Dew, then sat outside next to Bimbos Pizza and smiled as all the orange men and women walked right past me and my sidearm. Also had the opportunity to educate a fellow gun owner (NOT a marcher) on the changes to the CPL issue laws.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today at LaClair's Chevrolet in Chesaning for several hours while my little Sonic had some work done and while sitting in the waiting area a gentleman asked if I were a police officer. After assuring him I was not a cop he wanted to know if open carry was legal and that started a conversation wherein he opined that it was a good thing I had a gun in case someone came in to shoot up the place. There was a lot more to the conversation including how many in his congregation carried concealed into church.

And an elderly gentleman of 82 years who overheard the conversation said he should get a pistol too.

Another good day.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today at Carrie's Caboose in Montrose to get some ice cream where my sidearm got the attention of some youngsters and they briefly showed some interest before going back to their ice cream... then off to the Montrose park to eat said ice cream.

No horses fainted, no women bolted, no manly men puffed out their chests in testosterone fueled outrage, no cops showed up, and it was just another day.

B

Bikenut

OC'd today in Clio at:

Taco Bell for lunch where no one much cared about my sidearm....

Wal Mart where I saw another OC'er but am not sure was a cop or not because of his haircut and T shirt about some police event. Didn't talk with him but did talk to a different gentleman who was very interested in open carry being legal so after a bit of a discussion I left a print out of the applicable Michigan laws with him.

And, as usual, nothing bad happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeSchaine

OC'd at the Otsego WalMart. Had a great conversation with a CC'er about how well I liked OC'ing in Michigan. Other than that, no one said anything.

B

Bikenut

OC'd in Clio at Wal Mart and at Hicks Outdoors. Wal Mart doesn't have any .22 ammo but Hicks has plenty of CCI .22LR and .22 mag.

Oh... no one cared about my sidearm.

xd shooter

Oc'd at three car shows in the last 2 weeks, no issues, not many noticed.

A couple of surprised looks from a couple of car owners when they finally noticed the gun on my hip after talking with them about their car for a few minutes....

Dario

OC'd at the Otsego WalMart. Had a great conversation with a CC'er about how well I liked OC'ing in Michigan. Other than that, no one said anything.

Funny how they like to blab and often expose their guns to OCers... So much for the "concealed means concealed" "element of surprise" ad naseum memes I'm constantly subjected to on other forums :rolleyes: