• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

jeffrey-r

OCed tonight in a very busy Best Buy for about 30 minutes. No issues, no complaints, no security being called, no weeping children, no teenagers trying to grab my gun... just everything was fine.

Glock214

Haven't been on in a while so thought I'd post again. Open carried at Panera Bread yesterday without issues.
They did mess up my sandwich, but other than that no issues. Continue to open carry every day.

Carry on!!!
Glock214

BoomerQ

OC Partridge Creek in Macomb Couny, LensCrafters.

Open carried twice in past two weeks, with no issues inside Lens Crafters of Partridge Creek, in Macomb County.

BoomerQ

Nino Salvaggio's - No Issues

Been meaning to note for a while: I visit Nino Salvaggio's market on M-59 next to Partridge Creek, from time to time. Great fresh meat selection. I OC when I go, no issues ever.

Glock214

I didn't see any signs therefore I decided to carry as I normally do. I did know that they asked to leave them at home, however they also stated they would not post any negative anti gun signs nor ask their employees to confront a guest carrying a sidearm. Unless I was mistaken, I do not think I violated any of their policies regarding firearms.

Open carried today at Jude's Barber Shop, and Walgreens.

Carry On!!!

Redneck125

Haven't had any negative interactions for a few months until this evening I got a phone call that a relative had a heart attack and was at the Lakeland Regional Hospital in St Joe. I rushed their straight from work and stayed until I had to get my younger brother. When I returned back at the hospital an hour later I was met by a security officer at the door who told me that I was carrying illegally as they had signs posted at the door due to the hospital being a PFZ (which looked very similar to signs posted at schools except homemade). After briefly explaining to him that CPL holders can OC in PFZs and stating Mi Attorney General Opinion 7113 on MCL 28.4250 he told me that I was lying to him because he is a CPL holder and there is no way around the PFZ laws. :banghead: He also said that it didn't matter if the place was private or public because if whoever is in charge doesn't want weapons there that is their choice, even though he couldn't give me an answer when I asked him which category the hospital fell into. I didn't want to stand and argue with him so I asked if he'd let me take my brother to the room and drop him off as long as I left immediately after that. He agreed and I went to the room, said goodbye and that I'd be back tomorrow and left. The security officer was waiting for me by the door to let me know that he had "looked up the laws and was being nice by not having me arrested for a 90 day misdemeanor." Now, I know that private property rules supersedes MI Laws, but before I go back tomorrow for another visit, I wanted to make sure that I am legal to carry there. I've OC'd multiple times at my old high school with no problems. But I'm a little in the dark about the Hospital. I'm fairly certain that I am but wanted to get your opinions on this as its been a long day and my brain is way too tired to think right this moment.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
you are absolutely not legal to carry there since you have been warned of their policy regarding firearms. if you didn't see the sign at first, that's not a big deal, but now that you have been notified face to face, you could be trespassed from the property. your charge would likely be trespassing rather than a firearms related charge. if they did allow firearms, then you are correct, open carry would be legal with a CPL.

Last edited:

SpringerXDacp

Haven't had any negative interactions for a few months until this evening I got a phone call that a relative had a heart attack and was at the Lakeland Regional Hospital in St Joe. I rushed their straight from work and stayed until I had to get my younger brother. When I returned back at the hospital an hour later I was met by a security officer at the door who told me that I was carrying illegally as they had signs posted at the door due to the hospital being a PFZ (which looked very similar to signs posted at schools except homemade). After briefly explaining to him that CPL holders can OC in PFZs and stating Mi Attorney General Opinion 7113 on MCL 28.4250 he told me that I was lying to him because he is a CPL holder and there is no way around the PFZ laws. :banghead: He also said that it didn't matter if the place was private or public because if whoever is in charge doesn't want weapons there that is their choice, even though he couldn't give me an answer when I asked him which category the hospital fell into. I didn't want to stand and argue with him so I asked if he'd let me take my brother to the room and drop him off as long as I left immediately after that. He agreed and I went to the room, said goodbye and that I'd be back tomorrow and left. The security officer was waiting for me by the door to let me know that he had "looked up the laws and was being nice by not having me arrested for a 90 day misdemeanor." Now, I know that private property rules supersedes MI Laws, but before I go back tomorrow for another visit, I wanted to make sure that I am legal to carry there. I've OC'd multiple times at my old high school with no problems. But I'm a little in the dark about the Hospital. I'm fairly certain that I am but wanted to get your opinions on this as its been a long day and my brain is way too tired to think right this moment.

LARA, lists Lakeland Regional as: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation. Apparently, such a corporation is funded/subsidized by a membership which can not receive profits from the corporation. Since Lakeland is not funded/subsidized by the state, I suspect, it's "private" property and falls into the, "Their house, their rules" category.

fozzy71

I didn't see any signs therefore I decided to carry as I normally do. I did know that they asked to leave them at home, however they also stated they would not post any negative anti gun signs nor ask their employees to confront a guest carrying a sidearm. Unless I was mistaken, I do not think I violated any of their policies regarding firearms.

Open carried today at Jude's Barber Shop, and Walgreens.

Carry On!!!

Call me silly but I choose not to spend my cash at a business that has publicly stated they don't want guns there, no matter how wishy/washy their statement/policy is.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Call me silly but I choose not to spend my cash at a business that has publicly stated they don't want guns there, no matter how wishy/washy their statement/policy is.
i agree fozzy. MOC has actually been known to host open carry seminars at a panera bread store in recent days because the local franchisee is pro-gun.

OC4me

OC'd after taking off my coat upon arrival at the Olive Garden in Walker on Alpine. That was yesterday, and this morning my wife spotted an open carrier at the Citgo on 14 Mile (M-57) and 17 Mile.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I've not posted lately but have been OCing everywhere as usual without any problems... as usual.

OC'd yesterday at Menards and Lucky's Steak House in Clio. I highly recommend Lucky's! Great food and excellent staff.

B

Bikenut

Went into Flint today and OC'd at:

Taco Bell on Linden Rd. where many folks looked (and one gentleman seemed very surprised) yet no one said a word except the lady who was next in line as she thanked us for paying for her lunch. We often pay for the person behind us just because we like to do that for strangers. Sometimes messes up their preconceived notions about men with guns.

Then on to Wal Mart on Corunna Rd. to hassle my friend who works there... and to buy some shotgun ammo. Got some looks from staff and patrons alike but again, no one said anything.

Then off to the Citgo station/convenience store on the corner of M-13 and Corunna Rd. where not a word was said...

Oh... and during those travels no one ran away screaming in panic, no mothers clutched their children to their bosoms in fear, no manly men confronted me with their chests all testosterone pumped up, no cops showed up, and the day was quite uneventful.... exactly as it should be when an everyday ordinary person exercises their right to bear arms in a legal manner.

Redneck125

LARA, lists Lakeland Regional as: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation. Apparently, such a corporation is funded/subsidized by a membership which can not receive profits from the corporation. Since Lakeland is not funded/subsidized by the state, I suspect, it's "private" property and falls into the, "Their house, their rules" category.

Sadly that's what I figured too the next morning after I was able to think about it with a clear mind.

B

Bikenut

Yooperlady is feeling much better after her back surgery so we went to Greg & Lou's in Owosso for lunch. No one much noticed my OC until we got up to leave and my sidearm came into clear view against my red shirt (ordinarily I just tuck my black jacket behind my sidearm but today I'd taken my jacket off to be more comfy while eating) and the stares began. It took quite a while to get through the line to pay at the register ... and folks kept staring...

Then off to Meijers in Corunna for a bit of shopping and we thanked a young man in fatigues for his service...

No one ran away screaming... no cops showed up... aside from the stares nothing happened at all. Exactly as it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoomerQ

Open Carry In Detroit Institute of Arts

Open carried 18 Dec 14 in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Was questioned by security there, was asked to cover it up / leave it in the car. But ultimately, was not denied entrance. Spent several hours there. No other patrons said anything to me, no police arrived that I saw.

FreeInAZ

Open carried 18 Dec 14 in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Was questioned by security there, was asked to cover it up / leave it in the car. But ultimately, was not denied entrance. Spent several hours there. No other patrons said anything to me, no police arrived that I saw.

They know better. They were schooled quite throughly by SmellslikeMichigan over a year ago IIRC? So either their entire security staff turned over since then, or it's their normal shuck & jive they run on all OCers?

OT - OCing now, all good :cool:

Last edited: