• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
my wife and i opened carried at panara, kroger, home depot and meijer, troy/royal oak. no problems. when my wife was getting a refill of coffee, a snooty couple in line was murmuring to each other and had sour looks on their face while they were watching my wife. they didn't know her husband was right nearby. :cool: i walked over from behind them and stood next to her. i can hear it now, "oh! there's another one!". as we walked out, my wife said she noticed the woman looking at her. :uhoh:
my wife is still having a great time (being new to open carry). when we get ready to leave the house she asks, "do you want me to open carry?"
....uh yeah!!:dude::monkey:banana:

Mitchell

I have been to Holiday's restaurant, a couple different Meijer's, Krogers Pet Supply Plus, Lowe's and today I watched a Orchestra concert at Skyline HS. Nothing new or exciting.

My boss, is moving into the school district and I wonder his reaction, even though, I put up Shot gun shell lights in my cubicle.

Michigander

I was on a walk earlier, went about 4 miles with no issues, until towards the end when I heard footsteps behind me, and noticed there was a trashy looking man in his 20s or so about 20 or 30 feet behind me following along at a slightly faster pace than I was making, staring right at me like I was a target and he some sort of predator, with his hood over his head despite the fact it was way too warm to have a hood on. Never stopping walking, I transferred my snack filled grocery bag to my non dominant hand to facilitate drawing, and picked up my pace, turned in 90 degrees to go into a parking lot of a corner building where he kept following me. I then lapped the building until almost going the opposite direction, then stopped, and waited for him to come around the corner of the building, to see if it was just me, or if he was really following me. When he did, he stared at me for a couple seconds, then went in the other direction.

This was not in a particularly dangerous area, but it was earlier in the morning before too many people were about, and I got the impression he wanted to try and catch me by surprise and steal my gun, probably for drug money, if that wasn't already obvious. The fact I had my grocery bag in my draw hand, in his apparently nut case mind, I imagine made him think I'm some foolish yuppie who doesn't understand the way that street fighting works, or some such crap. But as it was, there wasn't even enough to confront him, let alone call the cops, at least until I could verify he was actually stalking me.

It is for me, the first time I believe my armed status almost cost me some trouble from someone other than a cop. Considering the number of times that my OCing has scared off punks, it's a good trade off. But I do find it a great example of why OCing while not knowing what you're doing, or while being apathetic to your surroundings could be a severe mistake.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Was such a nice day Yooperlady and I went to DQ in Clio for some ice cream then we stopped at the BP station on the corner of Burt Rd. and M13 to fill up the Camaro one more time before putting it in the garage for the winter..

And, although my sidearm got some looks at the DQ, there were no problems at all. Exactly as it always should be.

FreeInAZ

SNIP....The fact I had my grocery bag in my draw hand, in his apparently nut case mind, I imagine made him think I'm some foolish yuppie who doesn't understand the way that street...

Oh my young and much too kind friend, sorry man can't resist... :p :p :p

1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

:monkey :monkey :monkey

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

OC'd yesterday in Bridgeport at..

Lamplighter Flowers..

Family Dollar..

Arby's..

No problems or issues as it should be.

Raggs

Open carried last week at the Vac Shack on the corner of 36th st and Division Ave. The sales person there asked if I though this was the wild west. I asked him if he has read the news lately? He said he was from Flint and I said if i were in Flint I would likely be carrying two guns instead of one.
Another member here went to there today and the same young man said he was going to put up "no weapon" signs.
Clearly the VacShack is not open carry friendly and we should do business elsewhere!

Follow up, Went to Vac World and bought belts and found their prices to be much lower than vac shacks. Also they are open carry friendly!

More O.T. I OC'd at Taco Bell, Verizon, Best Buy and Family Fare. only one comment from a guy at Best Buy who asked me what kind of gun I was carrying, Taurus PT99, asked a little about open carry and told him about this forum. I also have his email to send him info on upcoming events in the area.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

OC'd today at:

Wal Mart and KFC in Clio...

KFC in Clio is very open carry friendly.

and

Beacon & Bridge gas station/convenience store corner of M13 and M57.

As is usual.. some people look and notice but just continue with their daily lives without any hysterics.

MikeTheGreek

OC'd at Autozone next to my work..they told me I had to cover my gun because some of the customers complained. We spend about 5-8k a week at Autozone since they are so close.

If it was up to me, I'd tell them to deal with it or drop out account, but..I'm not the boss, so I guess I have to leave my gun at work.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
OC'd at Autozone next to my work..they told me I had to cover my gun because some of the customers complained. We spend about 5-8k a week at Autozone since they are so close.

If it was up to me, I'd tell them to deal with it or drop out account, but..I'm not the boss, so I guess I have to leave my gun at work.
I've been in several AutoZone stores, and none of them ever said a word to me. The old "a customer complained" is just a cover up. I'd ask them, how much does the complaining customer spend in there, compared to you.

MikeTheGreek

I'm going to assume that you do not have a mohawk and are covered in tattoos. It sucks but the reality of the world is that we are all judged by our appearance.

Bronson

True. My sleeves are always rolled up at work (It gets too damn hot inside the shop)

I've seen cheapo security guards and other people carrying in Autozone, I believe they only told me to cover it up because they knew me well and probably knew I couldn't say "well I'll shop somewhere else" because that's not my choice.

I've been working with them for about a year now, so even though they said they know it's perfectly legal, I had to say fine.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My phone was stolen last week, got a replacement for it on Monday... which "bricked" by Tuesday. Got a another replacement phone, then went to Best Buy in Grandville for a screen protector. When I asked the salesperson where the screen protectors were, he said "Looks like you have all the protection you need" :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I'm going to assume that you do not have a mohawk and are covered in tattoos. It sucks but the reality of the world is that we are all judged by our appearance.

Bronson
True. I usually have a crewcut, no tats, typically wearing a T-Shirt with some pro 2nd Amendment stuff on it. About the worst that can be said about me, is I may have a 2-5 day old beard. Which on me, is not really all that much.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
My phone was stolen last week, got a replacement for it on Monday... which "bricked" by Tuesday. Got a another replacement phone, then went to Best Buy in Grandville for a screen protector. When I asked the salesperson where the screen protectors were, he said "Looks like you have all the protection you need" :)

You just have horrible luck with cell phones. :)

T1mH

Lansing Fire Mountain Buffet

I open carried my Beretta 92a1 to the Lansing Fire Mountain Buffet Saturday night. We were there for over 4 hours. We were having a board meeting for my 4x4 club and we don't get to see each other often. No one said anything or even seemed to notice.

MikeTheGreek

First REAL OC today to McDonalds to get a quarter pounder. No screaming kids or scared women. Just a scared look from a guy who reeked of weed...so he was probably afraid I was a cop, I thought that was pretty entertaining.

Made me feel better about OC, once I stopped shaking. :p