• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

xmanhockey7

OC'd at Steak n' Shake for a couple hours tonight with 3 high school friends. I was sitting strong side out and the place was fairly busy. Nobody seemed to really care until we were just about to leave. A group of 5 college aged students sat down at a table kiddy corner to us. The kid who was wearing an Illinois jacket made sure to tell everyone at the table I had a gun. I tell by the commotion. The only person I could really hear was the kid who had the Illinois jacket and he said things like "There's no need for that!" "You can't just carry out in the open" "He could just pull it out and (then made the motion of shooting randomly in a bunch of directions)". Then he pull out his phone and took a picture of me. Said he was going to send it to his brother. I can't believe this kid thought I couldn't hear him. I pretty much just ignored them but still kept on eye on 'em. When I went up to pay he could not stop staring at me and from what I could tell he was talking about me.

DocWalker

OC'd at Steak n' Shake for a couple hours tonight with 3 high school friends. I was sitting strong side out and the place was fairly busy. Nobody seemed to really care until we were just about to leave. A group of 5 college aged students sat down at a table kiddy corner to us. The kid who was wearing an Illinois jacket made sure to tell everyone at the table I had a gun. I tell by the commotion. The only person I could really hear was the kid who had the Illinois jacket and he said things like "There's no need for that!" "You can't just carry out in the open" "He could just pull it out and (then made the motion of shooting randomly in a bunch of directions)". Then he pull out his phone and took a picture of me. Said he was going to send it to his brother. I can't believe this kid thought I couldn't hear him. I pretty much just ignored them but still kept on eye on 'em. When I went up to pay he could not stop staring at me and from what I could tell he was talking about me.

See I wouldn't have been able to resist going over and introducing myself and telling him I could hear everything he said. I would also tell him that OC is not only legal but something that shouldn't be feared. Give him a pamplet and let him know that bad guys don't usally OC and that Illinois is in the top 5 of murders in the United States. If someone came in here and started shooting what would you do? You can't protect yourself and cops are 5-20 minutes away....think about it the people at the theater in Aurora, CO didn't.

Acdrenik

Black Friday

Went out Black Friday shopping with my mom this past week. Got some great deals, but even a better response to my sidearm. One lady standing in line with us looked at my strong side and asked if my sidearm was a price gun. My mom almost lost it. :lol: After educating the lady, who I learned is from Canada, we went on our way. Other than that, passed by about 12 LEO in Walmart, nothing said or negative. Thank you Taylor PD

xmanhockey7

OC'd at Antique Kitchen for breakfast with my dad and BJ Sports to get my skates sharpened this morning. Talked to the guy who sharpened my skates for a little bit but he didn't say anything or even seemingly notice the full size Glock on my hip. No issues at either place.

Raggs

If you can find an EAA Witness with the old style slide, get it. It's much stronger than the newer one, which is more rounded and has less steel in it. I had an older one, and it worked beautifully. Unfortunately, I had to sell it when I desperately needed cash.

On another front, it appears RIA may come out with a 10mm 1911 soon. I hope so, I'd love to get one of theirs.

On the OC subject, I OCed at Meijer's in Mason today. No crying babies, no screaming hordes running out of the store. :)

It is out!
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=390242

Haman J.T.

Saw another OCer,first time,while at Shoppers in Warren!Forgot his name immediately(as always in a short encounter-lifelong problem)!I expect it's due to OC growth in Warren!Great! CARRY ON!

MikeTheGreek

OC in Dicks Sporting Goods in Novi after work to get some 12G Target Load. Two looks, and one guy who was asking me about OC, telling me about how he watched a bunch of videos of people getting harassed for it online.

Oh, and a guy grabbed his kids and moved them 10 feet away from me when one of them looked at my gun. That was kinda funny. Run children, run. :cuss:

SpringerXDacp

OC in Dicks Sporting Goods in Novi after work to get some 12G Target Load. Two looks, and one guy who was asking me about OC, telling me about how he watched a bunch of videos of people getting harassed for it online.

Oh, and a guy grabbed his kids and moved them 10 feet away from me when one of them looked at my gun. That was kinda funny. Run children, run. :cuss:

He probably thought you were carrying a "45." Those pesky 45 bullets don't go any further than that anyway. :rolleyes:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
birming(s)ham winter market

went to birming(s)ham this morning. my wife and i open carried and my daughter was with us too. we walked by an art fundraiser booth (where they were selling bites of carrot cake for a dollar) the lady was chatting us up about bringing arts back to birmingham. as we were walking away, she said, "oh! you have guns" in a really snotty voice with a snotty face. we said, "yes". she said something about, "you carry guns in birmingham?" i said, " i carry a gun everywhere." then she said, "that's horrible". my wife said "no it's not" and we walked away.
if i had thought about it more, i may have brought up the bill of rights and how it protects free speech (art) and guns alike. i wasn't there to debate :banghead::banghead: though, i was there to spend time with my family. we also walked the entire downtown.

eta: on the plus side... the lady didn't scream and swear at us and ask us where our signs were...

Last edited:

Michigander

Went to the gym tonight, and as always my guns stayed locked up in the car, because I think carrying in a gym is plain more dangerous than the potential benefits.

What I didn't notice was that I still had my work knife with me. It's a very small case knife I use to open parts boxes and things all day. I didn't have my locker lock with me, and I didn't want to go back to the car like I would have if it was my .32 or something, so I just stuck it in my gym shorts. It COULD kill someone, but probably with about the same effort as a weight, so I figured who cares about securing it to the extent I'd secure a serious weapon? 18 plus gym anyway.

After I used the situp machine, it must have fallen out of my pocket, because then another patron has a panicked and disgusted look on her face, bringing it over to the manager, (who happens to be a friend of mine who was using the aerobic machine next to the one I was and chatting with me) and says "I just found this". I told her it was mine, and she said "here you go, no telling why you have it in a gym! I realized my error in not tucking it in my wallet which stays put in my shorts more reliably, and tucked in in my wallet while she ran off very much like you'll occasionally see someone ranting at an open carrier do after they run their mouth and then storm off.

I thought it was an interesting look at the mentality of an anti, since anti gun people tend to be so non mechanically inclined and afraid of simple tools, which of course includes guns.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

@Michigander - Dude! You are lucky she didn't carefully pick it up and go into the ladies locker room and stab some hot chick in the back of the head with it that she is jealous of! :p Then come running out screaming & pointing at you saying "that perv just stabbed a girl in the women's locker room!":shocker:

Try explaining your prints on a knife stuck in someones head? :rolleyes:

On topic OC'd all about today no issues. :cool:

ETA - Sorry MI. My wife forces me to watch the lifetime channel too often. :p

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Went to Best Buy on 8 & Haggerty to get some car speakers and ended up spending over $300 on random stuff...I hate going to Best buy on payday!

Anyway, no problems at all. Only noticed one or two people looking at my gun.

OCing is a lot easier than I thought it would be :p Nobody has beat me down for my gun or ran away screaming yet! When does the fun start?:rolleyes::banana:

griffin

Wait...don't you have a mohawk and sport full sleeve tattoos? If people run away, it won't be because of the firearm!