• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

Ken56

You are probably right about NOT asking. As it is said, better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission, let sleeping dogs lay, bla bla bla. you know. I recall a post here when the signs first went up about a manager telling the OP to just conceal, no problem. fine and dandy and all but we are about OPEN carry here. I suppose I can respect a businesses private property rights and cover for the time I am inside.

DanM

I recall a post here when the signs first went up about a manager telling the OP to just conceal, no problem. fine and dandy and all but we are about OPEN carry here. I suppose I can respect a businesses private property rights and cover for the time I am inside.

Clarification for the general readership:
If you don't have a CPL, you can't legally conceal on anyone's property except your own, even if a property owner or manager gives you "permission" to conceal on their property.

xmanhockey7

OC'd to get my haircut and to Steak n Shake the other day. Talked to one of the barbers there about guns. He says he going to buy his first handgun (already owns many shotguns) and is going to apply for his CPL soon. When I was at Steak n Shake a waitress I have had many times said "I see you have your gun on you like always. I feel so much safer when I see you come in!" I then heard her go in back and talk to her co-workers about how I always come in with a gun. Didn't get many looks or have anything else said about it.

lil_freak_66

not just guns, total firearms, wendys, menards, home depot...tons of places all over without issue.

was at the babies r us in lansing near the mall tonight though(where ive been probably 15 times in last two years, not necessarily carrying however)
didnt have any issues, i never have and the employees have typically been helpful...but on my way out tonight i noticed that sign we all hate to see(and it was weather faded slightly, was not a new sign)...no guns allowed, so ill be emailing sometime this week about it, and will no longer shop there if it is upheld.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Face-palm!!!

not just guns, total firearms, wendys, menards, home depot...tons of places all over without issue.

was at the babies r us in lansing near the mall tonight though(where ive been probably 15 times in last two years)
didnt have any issues, i never have and the employees have typically been helpful...but on my way out tonight i noticed that sign we all hate to see(and it was weather faded slightly, was not a new sign)...no guns allowed, so ill be emailing sometime this week about it, and will no longer shop there if it is upheld.

Dude - again sometimes posting less is more. You have just made it very easy for a infraction to be brought against you should those in power who love you so much choose to do so. Especially after you email the store and piss them off. Please think for a minute, shall we? The next thing you know you will be the recipient of a no trespass order.
I post this because I don't think you are a "bad guy" like many here do. May I say from your post above you REALLY, REALLY, NEED TO WORK ON YOUR OBSERVATION SKILLS.

On topic OCing now.

ETA- If you modify delete your post, I will do the same.

Last edited:

Mitchell

I am coming to 2 years of Open Carry. Today I OCed at Holidays Restaurant, later at Kroger. At Krogers, a lady behind me must have asked if that was legal, cause the guy behind him was loud enough to let me know his answer. Once I noticed her, her nose seemed to go up in the air.

Raggs

Dude - again sometimes posting less is more. You have just made it very easy for a infraction to be brought against you should those in power who love you so much choose to do so. Especially after you email the store and piss them off. Please think for a minute, shall we? The next thing you know you will be the recipient of a no trespass order.
I post this because I don't think you are a "bad guy" like many here do. May I say from your post above you REALLY, REALLY, NEED TO WORK ON YOUR OBSERVATION SKILLS.

On topic OCing now.

ETA- If you modify delete your post, I will do the same.

I would think a no guns sign should be conspicuously placed. How hard are we supposed to look for them really?

FreeInAZ

I would think a no guns sign should be conspicuously placed. How hard are we supposed to look for them really?

Well if the police in your area have a "special interest" in you like they do for Lil - pretty damn hard l'd say. :eek:
ETA - Oc'd for lunch at T-bell. It is so nice I ate my tacos outside in the sunny 75° weather. I am getting as much outside time in as possible before the "dry heat" hits in a couple of months. Then you guys will be laughing at me trying not to melt in the 110° + heat. :p

Last edited:

fozzy71

2 recent experiences where I was asked to remove my gun from a pool hall with a bar (Snookers in Eastpointe and Hall of Fame/Shame in Warren). I obviously chose to remove myself and never return. Both managers/owners were professional in how they dealt with me but they were completely misinformed about the laws and didn't care what I had to say.

MI_XD

First time Open carrying!

Well, I finally did it. First time open carrying. Went for a walk through downtown Lansing, open carried in the State Capitol, Open carried in our Representatives Offices, went for another walk through downtown Lansing, Open caried having Lunch at Clara's Station.

It was like no one noticed.. like I just blended in with the crowd.... Oh, yeah. Lots of THEM were open carrying too! Did I mention it was a GREAT 2nd Amendment March?

Even got our picture taken with the National Cherry Queen!

Carry On!

MI_XD

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
just a few of the places (everywhere i go) that i open carried recently. my wife was with me and open carried at many of these places as well:
lansing 2a march
troy library
aldi in troy
meijer in royal oak
sams club madison heights
costco madison heights

B

Bikenut

I've been sick (pneumonia) for the last little while but Yooperlady and I finally got out and about today and I OC'd in Bridgeport at:

Big Boy for lunch where nothing happened at all... except we ate lunch..

Lamplighter flowers where the only thing that happened was good conversation with good people...

But ....

We started out the day at the Bridgeport Independent Bank turning in over $100 worth of coins and when I was waiting in line to cash in the little ticket thingy a fellow came in and stood behind me... nothing unusual about that...

Then I was called up to the counter to be waited on ... and the guy also was called up to another window and he said that he was all right... he came in to get warm.

Ummmm.... my situational awareness suddenly got focused in his direction... and Yooperlady was watching him too.

The clerk called him up to the window again and he didn't move but said he wasn't in any hurry..... and then he said something to the teller about the Camaro outside... and that is when Yooperlady began to talk to him about our Camaro....

But the guy STILL wouldn't go up to the teller's window.

I finished cashing in my coin slip and said a few nice words to the fellow about the Camaro (making damn sure I got his full face on my video recorder) and then Yooperlady and I left.

The guy waited until we were out of the building before going to the teller window...

Yooperlady and I didn't stick around to find out WFT that was all about.... but it was a bit on the weird side for sure.