• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List Your Open Carry Experiences Here

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Yes, fear of firearms is a primal instinct that all humans are born with. It is quite amazing when you think about it. :p

On topic, I've open carried in my local library (Allendale Township in Ottawa County) a few times with my kids. No one batted an eye.

One of the first places I OCed. OT, I OCed at McDonald's in Standale with my children in the playland. One little girl decided that she wanted to see the toys they give with kid's meals which were displayed in a glass case on the wall behind me while my kids were playing on the other side of the room. We carried on a nice conversation about her favorite toy etc. Didn't bother her or her father at all that I was OC. Like has been said here time and time again when we hear "Think of the children", children almost never have an issue with someone carrying a firearm.

TheQ

One of the first places I OCed. OT, I OCed at McDonald's in Standale with my children in the playland. One little girl decided that she wanted to see the toys they give with kid's meals which were displayed in a glass case on the wall behind me while my kids were playing on the other side of the room. We carried on a nice conversation about her favorite toy etc. Didn't bother her or her father at all that I was OC. Like has been said here time and time again when we hear "Think of the children", children almost never have an issue with someone carrying a firearm.

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

You mean a child didn't scream at the sight of a firearm?!

I thought all children were deathly afraid of firearms. It's a good thing I have OCDO to tell me otherwise :banana:

Onnie

Feb 11 OC activities

Oc at LA auto sales in Lincoln park
Noticed while looking for a car for my daughter several people whispering and pointing. Went inside to make a deal with owner, he looked at my gun and asked why i had a gun on. Told him it was for my protection. Woman sitting at his desk kinda jumped up out of her chair and i told it not to worry, unless someone was trying to harm me, the gun would stay in its holster. She said ok and sat down finished her paperwork and went on her way.

I had to go to insurance company to get insurance for the new car and to Secretary of state to get my DL renewed I took my number and sat on the far side of the room,
when my number was called, I walked to the SOS person who just happened to be on the far side of the room. As I walked towards them a woman gasped but I ignored her and gave my greetings to the SOS worker and on we went. Got my pic taken and back to the dealer

as I arrived there was a different woman sitting at the dealers table, she had two kids with her. the car dealer said to me something to the effect I welcome you and your gun back! with that, I sat down behind her in the waiting area, her son noticed me and came over to talk. as he came towards me he approached on my gun side, i made sure that as we talked, i kept him at arms length. Mom turn around and immediately got up out of her seat and herded him back to her safe area. A minute later he was back near me talking about his favorite action hero. As mom turned around I told her it was ok, i would keep him at arms length as I do with my grandsons. every few seconds she turned and looked but within a few minutes she eased up and by the time she left the office, I had been talking to both her kids about cartoons and Rocket man.

Did my biz with the dealer and left

all in all a good day to OC

s3ns4i

Stopped by the local State police to ask them a few questions and such. Noticed that when I walked in the building they had a "No Weapons Allowed " sign. Talked to one office that was at the front desk and he seem to have a little attitude about OC. Stated mostly that " It doesn't matter, because as long as a place has the no weapons sign posted or its private property and they tell you to leave then you must go". Said that he does not believe in OC and hopefully they will work to get rid of it. I told him when I put together a meet he would be more than welcome to come open carry with us and kindly left.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Stopped by the local State police to ask them a few questions and such. Noticed that when I walked in the building they had a "No Weapons Allowed " sign. Talked to one office that was at the front desk and he seem to have a little attitude about OC. Stated mostly that " It doesn't matter, because as long as a place has the no weapons sign posted or its private property and they tell you to leave then you must go". Said that he does not believe in OC and hopefully they will work to get rid of it. I told him when I put together a meet he would be more than welcome to come open carry with us and kindly left.

If the area where the No Weapons Sign was posted is a Public Area, then the sign not only has no force of Law it actually violates law as it is not a PFZ as defined by MI State Law.

WARCHILD

Yes, it is a public access area. I've been there and "tried" to tell them about oc a couple of years ago. This post most definitely has officers with a lot of "attitude" attached to their badge. I gave them an leo packet only to see him toss it in the trash can while I watched. I was told that "until a judge tells them otherwise; no guns will be allowed in the building". And since I had been told to leave; I had better do so or be arrested for trespass. So I left.
I will say that I have had interaction with a couple of officers out in the public and have had no trouble with them at all.
I guess they just take personal offense to coming into "their" castle with a gun.

JMO

PDinDetroit

Yes, it is a public access area. I've been there and "tried" to tell them about oc a couple of years ago. This post most definitely has officers with a lot of "attitude" attached to their badge. I gave them an leo packet only to see him toss it in the trash can while I watched. I was told that "until a judge tells them otherwise; no guns will be allowed in the building". And since I had been told to leave; I had better do so or be arrested for trespass. So I left.
I will say that I have had interaction with a couple of officers out in the public and have had no trouble with them at all.
I guess they just take personal offense to coming into "their" castle with a gun.

JMO

and a pretty good Opinion at that.

s3ns4i

JMO

I'm sure this was before the incident that happened in Detorit, where the guy came into the PD shooting away. I can understand having a nice an civil conversation, even if you don't like certain aspects of something. But this ******* was just that, an *******! I still invited him out to open carry with us when ever we can set something up!

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Steel Magnolia and I OCed Denny's 44th St in Wyoming, and Appleby's Gaines Twp (just south of GR off Kalamazoo Ave). No looks, no comments.

coderdude

First Encounter - positive

We after about a year of opening carrying, i finally had someone say something to me. I was at the Dunkin Donuts in White Lake paying for my coffee, when an older gentlemen approached me and said "Right to carry?". I said "Yes" and he said "Good for you". Then we parted ways.

Since i am posting for first time in LONG time, i will say that i have been open carrying everywhere i go in White Lake, Waterford, Commerce and Novi. That includes lots of big stores like Meijer and Best Buy and many more little ones you wouldn't probably recognize.

For the most part, most people dont even notice. I carry a 92FS Beretta in a Serpa2 holster. I tuck my short coat behind it that that it is fully exposed. I do have my cpl

quarter horseman

please keep posting

We after about a year of opening carrying, i finally had someone say something to me. I was at the Dunkin Donuts in White Lake paying for my coffee, when an older gentlemen approached me and said "Right to carry?". I said "Yes" and he said "Good for you". Then we parted ways.

Since i am posting for first time in LONG time, i will say that i have been open carrying everywhere i go in White Lake, Waterford, Commerce and Novi. That includes lots of big stores like Meijer and Best Buy and many more little ones you wouldn't probably recognize.

For the most part, most people dont even notice. I carry a 92FS Beretta in a Serpa2 holster. I tuck my short coat behind it that that it is fully exposed. I do have my cpl

Please keep posting your OC experiences, posting them shows the new comers to ocdo that we dont get harassed like they think we might. Aslo it shows all of us new places to try if we are in the area. When I first found out about ocdo 3 years or so ago untill now, the stories have gotten fewer and fewer of negitive encounters, unfortunately all the stories from the past were lost, thats why we need to keep this going. Carry on!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Show him this email from his Major on OC in posts. Even though he is a dick in regards to keeping the signs up.

Dear Mr. Jeffs,
I am following up on the email you sent to Colonel Eddie Washington regarding
a notice posted at various MSP facilities.

In Michigan, it is legal for a person to carry a firearm in public as long as the person is carrying the firearm with lawful intent and the firearm is not concealed. Carrying a non-concealed visible firearm is commonly referred to as open carry. In general, citizens who come into Michigan State Police work sites to conduct business (e.g., file a complaint, obtain an accident report, etc.) are not prohibited from openly carrying a holstered firearm in areas where public access is not restricted such as the lobby areas. Citizens may be prohibited from openly carrying a firearm in restricted areas of work sites. Before allowing a citizen to enter restricted areas of the work site, members may ask a citizen to secure the firearm outside of the work site. If a citizen refuses to secure the firearm outside the work site, the member shall deny the person access.

The signs, which will remain posted at department work sites, allow the citizen the opportunity to secure their firearms prior to entering the work site to conduct business. There is no Michigan statute which prohibits the posting of the signs.

Major Charles Bush, Commander
Michigan State Police
Office of Emergency and Specialized Services
517-241-0246