• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC Store Open Carry ??

ckwing13

Dose anyone know if there is any law prohibiting OPEN CARRY in the ABC stores in VA. I have concealed carried a bunch of times. I would like some clairification on this.

Thanks John

" MY NATIONALITY HAS NO PREFIX "

vt357

Nope carry on. It's a state agency so the individual stores can't make their own anti policies as agency itself hasn't prohibited carry. I've OC'ed multiple times at several different ABC stores.

TFred

Nope carry on. It's a state agency so the individual stores can't make their own anti policies as agency itself hasn't prohibited carry. I've OC'ed multiple times at several different ABC stores.
I'd be careful here with such a blanket statement.

Don't forget, state agencies are not preempted, they can make their own policies. I don't know any reason why they couldn't make a policy allowing individual stores to decide for themselves.

If you see a sign or are told to not carry, I would not flaunt it without careful research.

TFred

ckwing13

Thanks for the replies. I just needed to be sure. I have been asked by a few others also so I will pass on the info

Thanks John

All American Nightmare

Thanks for the replies. I just needed to be sure. I have been asked by a few others also so I will pass on the info

Thanks John

18.2-308 outlines the places that are illegal. (google18.2-308) Check the VAC as well. I have OC'ed in plenty of ABC stores not a word was said.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Local governmental agencies are preempted, NOT state agencies.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

vt357

I'd be careful here with such a blanket statement.

Don't forget, state agencies are not preempted, they can make their own policies. I don't know any reason why they couldn't make a policy allowing individual stores to decide for themselves.

If you see a sign or are told to not carry, I would not flaunt it without careful research.

TFred

True enough. I should clarify. While there is nothing in preemption stopping the ABC board from creating a policy prohibiting carry in their stores (since they are an agency, not a locality), as far as we know they have not made such a policy.

Does the ABC board function like other state agencies? If they wanted to create such a policy would it need to go through the public comment period before being enacted? (Giving us time to be aware and fight it).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
True enough. I should clarify. While there is nothing in preemption stopping the ABC board from creating a policy prohibiting carry in their stores (since they are an agency, not a locality), as far as we know they have not made such a policy.

Does the ABC board function like other state agencies? If they wanted to create such a policy would it need to go through the public comment period before being enacted? (Giving us time to be aware and fight it).

Without looking it up, I do not know - but it is not an issue because the ABC Board has not taken an anti stance. Somewhere on this forum is a letter referencing this in reply to a situation where someone OCing was told by an employee that doing so was not permitted. I do remember that it was a favorable reply.

Has anyone thought about the possible privatization of liquor stores? It would then be up to the individual ownership entity to set their own policies regarding carrying - at least that is what I would expect.

vt357

Has anyone thought about the possible privatization of liquor stores? It would then be up to the individual ownership entity to set their own policies regarding carrying - at least that is what I would expect.
From what I understand yes, the stores would function as any other private business, able to set their own polices. I don't even think that the current locations of the ABC stores would stay the same as anyone could purchase license. Sam's Club and Costco are some of the biggest retailers of liquor in other states.

Didn't that proposal die in the GA?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From what I understand yes, the stores would function as any other private business, able to set their own polices. I don't even think that the current locations of the ABC stores would stay the same as anyone could purchase license. Sam's Club and Costco are some of the biggest retailers of liquor in other states.

Didn't that proposal die in the GA?

Yes, it's dead for this year, but I expect it will be back.

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
O/C in ABC

I have OC'd many times in my local Dumfries ABC store (not that I'm A lush or anything! :p ) and the employess are, and have always been very nice and cordial to me... even commenting on the style of gun I was carrying at the time...

celticredneck

One other thing to consider is that many ABC stores are located in strip malls and the strip mall itself might be anti-gun. I believe that something to that effect has been posted before on this board.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One other thing to consider is that many ABC stores are located in strip malls and the strip mall itself might be anti-gun. I believe that something to that effect has been posted before on this board.

Malls and strip centers are physically very different. In both the tenant controls their space with only common areas being under the direct control of the owner/manager of the center. Even with malls, I have never seen "no guns " signs in parking lots or on sidewalks.

Have you ever seen a strip shopping center posted? I have not, not once.

And2TheRepublic

i have OC'd to Peninsula town Center many times with no issues. Even walked right passed security guards and LEOs. If there were rules against OC, they didnt make it known. I have also seen no signs posted and i have looked.

In a way, i wish Virginia was more like Texas in the sense that no gun signs have to be posted in certain places and have certain things displayed for it to be lawful.

i find that the mall signs hidden and with small print to be very deceiving.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Malls and strip centers are physically very different. In both the tenant controls their space with only common areas being under the direct control of the owner/manager of the center. Even with malls, I have never seen "no guns " signs in parking lots or on sidewalks.

Have you ever seen a strip shopping center posted? I have not, not once.

Then you need to come and take some of my classes, Grape!

The Shops at White Oak Village on S. Laburnham Ave has a Code of Conduct posted on the outside walls between stores, along the sidewalk. Rule #10 says "Possession of firearms, knives or any other weapon is prohibited on property, even if legally carried, except by law enforcement officers”

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Then you need to come and take some of my classes, Grape!

The Shops at White Oak Village on S. Laburnham Ave has a Code of Conduct posted on the outside walls between stores, along the sidewalk. Rule #10 says "Possession of firearms, knives or any other weapon is prohibited on property, even if legally carried, except by law enforcement officers”

Aaah, the exception to the rule - interesting.

FretlessMayhem

Janaf

I know that in 2006 I noticed that the strip mall in Janaf was posted for no firearms. At the time I took a picture and emailed it to Mr. Van Cleave, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

I try to stay away from Janaf and the Military Circle area entirely, so I'm unsure if it's still posted.