• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman shot to death at Woodbridge Chick-Fil-A

TFred

This was a terrible thing. One of my Facebook friends was a direct witness to this, said he was paralyzed with fear and felt helpless to watch the scene unfold.

But as you note, sometimes these things happen so fast, there is nothing you can do.

TFred

Don Barnett

Sad!

...sadly, it was a Domestic dispute...separation...divorce trial pending...father threatens mother...knows where she goes each morning...had also threatened the kids...father has no self control...and some "anger management" issues...

There were kids involved...their 12 year old was in my Granddaugher's 6th Grade class at St Thomas Aquinas Regional School...it is a sad day!

Prayers are needed from everyone...for all those affected...:(!

hunter45

If she did, it wasn't worth as much as the piece of paper on which it was written. :(

Quite a legacy he left his children - damn shame.

I know they are worthless. I have a protective order against someone and I'm almost certain that they still have a firearm.

wylde007

Not to disparage your situation in any way, but why does your protective order preclude someone else's right to self defense?

Aside from the "law", which we know has zero effect in such matters.

dng

State Researcher
Unfortunately protective orders serve little purpose when someone is determined to do harm. If the offender does violate it, at least they will be arrested, but if the offender wants to kill, a piece of paper isn't going to stop him. If anything, it only serves to anger and infuriate him further. When seconds count, police are minutes away from only being able to do tons of paperwork on what's already happened.

dng

State Researcher
I know they are worthless. I have a protective order against someone and I'm almost certain that they still have a firearm.

The way I read 18.2-308.1:4 its not illegal to have the gun, just to purchase or transport it.

hunter45

The way I read 18.2-308.1:4 its not illegal to have the gun, just to purchase or transport it.

http://www.oag.state.va.us/KEY_ISSUES/DOMESTIC_VIOLENCE/DV_ProtectOrdr.pdf

In addition, federal law prohibits you from
possessing any firearm or ammunition while
you are subject to a qualifying protective or-
der. Local offices of the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco and Firearms can be contacted to
determine whether you can lawfully possess
a firearm. A violation of this federal law is punishable by up to ten years in prison. 18
U.S.C. 922(g)(8).

In response to wylde007 - I didn't say that he shouldn't be able to have a firearm. I was just saying that the paper is worthless because he has one anyways (but he has no business owning a firearm anyways).

Last edited:

dng

State Researcher
http://www.oag.state.va.us/KEY_ISSUES/DOMESTIC_VIOLENCE/DV_ProtectOrdr.pdf

In addition, federal law prohibits you from
possessing any firearm or ammunition while
you are subject to a qualifying protective or-
der. Local offices of the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco and Firearms can be contacted to
determine whether you can lawfully possess
a firearm. A violation of this federal law is
punishable by up to ten years in prison. 18
U.S.C. 922(g)(8).

Interesting, the Feds got their 2 cents in. I wonder what a "qualifying protective order" is. Also it would be interesting to see how that would work as far as charges are concerned since its not a violation of VA law. I guess the BAFTE would have to take out charges and it would he heard in Federal court. I don't like that at all, because it should be a state issue.

Ruby

Protective orders are useless, I've never yet heard of one stopping someone determined to kill somebody. Most of the time when they are violated someone is killed, not just harmed. Who cares if it affects his sentence or not; the kids have no mother, and he will most likely get life. It was obviously cold, premeditated murder. Everybody lost. Really sad.:(

Don Barnett

Protective Orders...?

Protective Orders? Those are for people who have experienced no self control anyway.

On the way home from school, my granddaughter and I talked about the incident; they had put her school on "lockdown" as they did the other schools in the area until they found out the situation was "clear".

We talked about 1st Degree (Pre-Meditated) Murder as well as regular homicide; about how it is almost impossible to guard against a surprise attack; about why I carry a gun; about why some people "fly off the handle"; etc.

The class was wondering why the Police had come and taken their classmate out of class (I mentioned earlier that one of their children was in my Granddaugher's 6th Grade Class) until they were all called down to the cafeteria, where they found out what had happened. They all felt saddness as now their classmate was now without a mother and the father would not be home for a LONG time.

My wife attends daily Mass at Our Lady of Angels, where my Granddaughter's school is located, and after Mass she was passing by the incident on her way to work. Knowing that I was at Physical Therapy and would be heading for breakfast afterwards, she called to tell me to stay away from Chick-fil-A.

Ironically, I was up the road at McDonalds talking to someone who had moved into Virginia from out of State and had asked me about being able to carry open, how he could get a concealed permit, why I carried, etc, etc. (He had noticed the handgun on my hip.) This MUST have been exactly the same time the Chick-fil-A incident was happening.

TFred

The class was wondering why the Police had come and taken their classmate out of class...
Oh, man did they really do that? How terrible. I can't imagine anything more frightening to a middle schooler than to have a police officer come get you out of class. I would think they'd get a guidance counselor, or considering the school, a nun? Wow.

TFred

TFred

Protective orders are useless, I've never yet heard of one stopping someone determined to kill somebody. Most of the time when they are violated someone is killed, not just harmed. Who cares if it affects his sentence or not; the kids have no mother, and he will most likely get life. It was obviously cold, premeditated murder. Everybody lost. Really sad.:(
Protective Orders fall into the same category of illogic as Gun Control laws in general... The best, most succinct quote I've seen on the matter is:

Gun Control: A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun. -- Oldnoob

Virtually interchangeable.

Protective Order: A concept invented by some monumentally stupid people who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator intent on ignoring the laws prohibiting them from beating, raping, kidnapping, torturing and/or killing their domestic partner or family member, will obey a piece of paper telling them to stay more than 50 feet away from their victim at all times. -- Modified with credit to Oldnoob

TFred

Don Barnett

I Think You Are Correct

Oh, man did they really do that? How terrible. I can't imagine anything more frightening to a middle schooler than to have a police officer come get you out of class. I would think they'd get a guidance counselor, or considering the school, a nun? Wow.

TFred

My Graddaughter told me that "they" had taken the girl and mentioned Police at the same time. The kids were under "lockdown" (doors locked...no one comes in or out...even to go to the bathroom) and then someone came down to the classroom and removed the child. It was probably the Principal, a Nun, accompanied by an armed PWC Detective (remember the man had threatened to kill the children - or so I've heard from a reliable source). My Granddaughter told me that they were all wondering why "they" came to get the girl.

Once the lockdown was lifted the kids were taken to the cafeteria, told of the incident and who was involved. There were several Priests present, according to my Granddaughter.

Perhaps the kids reasoned that the Police must have come to get the child; which in reality, they did.

I only found out about the incident involving an Aquinas child when I had come to pick up my Granddaughter after school. Unlike ordinary days when I just wait in my car, she had an after school play rehearsal so I had to go into the building. It was then when another parent told me.

Sancta Maria, Ora Pro Nobis

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Interesting, the Feds got their 2 cents in. I wonder what a "qualifying protective order" is. Also it would be interesting to see how that would work as far as charges are concerned since its not a violation of VA law. I guess the BAFTE would have to take out charges and it would he heard in Federal court. I don't like that at all, because it should be a state issue.

The firearm prohibition comes in under the Lautenberg Amendment. A qualifying protective order would be an Emergency (72 hours), a Preliminary (up to 14 days), or a Permanant (up to 2 years) one.

The violation of Va law is under 16.1-253.2, a Class 1 misdemeanor.

§ 16.1-253.2. Violation of provisions of protective orders; penalty.

In addition to any other penalty provided by law, any person who violates any provision of a protective order issued pursuant to §§ 16.1-253, 16.1-253.1, 16.1-253.4, 16.1-278.14, 16.1-279.1 or subsection B of § 20-103, which prohibits such person from going or remaining upon land, buildings or premises or from further acts of family abuse, or which prohibits contacts between the respondent and the respondent's family or household member as the court deems appropriate is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. The punishment for any person convicted of a second offense of violating a protective order, when the offense is committed within five years of the prior conviction and when either the instant or prior offense was based on an act or threat of violence, shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of 60 days. Any person convicted of a third or subsequent offense of violating a protective order, when the offense is committed within 20 years of the first conviction and when either the instant or one of the prior offenses was based on an act or threat of violence is guilty of a Class 6 felony and the punishment shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of six months.

If the respondent commits an assault and battery upon any party protected by the protective order, resulting in serious bodily injury to the party, he is guilty of a Class 6 felony. Any person who violates such a protective order by furtively entering the home of any protected party while the party is present, or by entering and remaining in the home of the protected party until the party arrives, is guilty of a Class 6 felony, in addition to any other penalty provided by law.

Upon conviction of any offense hereunder for which a mandatory minimum term of confinement is not specified, the person shall be sentenced to a term of confinement and in no case shall the entire term imposed be suspended. Upon conviction, the court shall, in addition to the sentence imposed, enter a protective order pursuant to § 16.1-279.1 for a specified period not exceeding two years from the date of conviction.