• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal sign in Erlanger ky

bmt626

I noticed this the other day that is says weapons are prohibited in the park by city ordinance . I thought city's could not do this as it over rules state law

bmt626

Sorry picture didn't post
c07aedfc-9f50-d25d.jpg

hotrod

The problem is they cannot forbid switchblades, brass knuckles, etc. if you have your CDWL. All those prohibitions would be out.

Tmhrr

Here's the ordinance:
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Kentucky/erlanger/cityoferlangerkentuckycodeofordinances?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:erlanger_ky

Go to General Regulations, then Chapter 96: Parks and Recreation.

TEXT

Bookmark§ 96.26 DRUGS; FIREARMS.

The possession of any dangerous drugs, fireworks, brass knuckles, blackjack, billy, or a knife with a gravity or switchblade, or a blade in excess of three (3) inches.

(Ord. 2302, passed 6-3-08) Penalty, see § 96.99

Funny how firearms appears in the title but not in the body of the ordinance. My guess is it was there originally then the city found out it was illegal and they deleted the word firearm from the body of the ordinance, but didn't delete it from the title or change the sign. You should ask for an explanation and tell them to take the signs down.

I agree with you, just wondering if anyone noticed the ordinance (96.27) listed right below this one :

All persons who enter into or upon any park thereby consent to a search of their person, property, and motor vehicles by any peace officer of the Commonwealth of Kentucky; and the removal therefrom and the forfeiture of all articles possessed in violation of the terms and provisions hereof.

aadvark

Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870 ONLY Prohibits Local Regulation of Firearms and Ammunition, however; any other Local Ordinance Regulating Non-Firearms and Non-Ammuntion would be Permissable by its own Terms.

Although a Kentucky Weapons License Holder can Legally Carry a Weapon, Locals can Prohibit it, atleast for now... as Revenge..., in Retaliation to Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870.

Non-Firearms and Non-Ammuniton Items would have to be Added under Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870, as has done Arizona, in Order to Eliminate The Validity of this Erlanger, Kentucky Ordinance.