• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not gun related, but need some help

jermflux

I made use of the PA option on my CB radio. During the install of the speaker it was brought to my attention that it was against the law to use them around here (Hampton Roads). I've never heard of that before, and can't find anything on it. I know it's not gun related but you guys are pretty good with citing code when it's legit. I'm not planning to abuse it, probably not use it much, but it's nice to have if you want to here what's going on with the radio while you are fishing on the beach at Hatteras and such. Plus, I can think of a few scenarios were it could be very useful,Ggod forid.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Probably a noise ordinance. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a truck that jumps up and down while blaring a Mexican Hat Dance.

eye95

I also would not slide up behind a police car and tell him to pull over.

Personally, I'd love to megaphone to some folks, "Hang up and drive!!"

Last edited:

wylde007

I made use of the PA option on my CB radio. During the install of the speaker it was brought to my attention that it was against the law to use them around here (Hampton Roads).
I found one cite in Virginia Beach, but it relates ONLY to advertising and not general usage:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10...NGE.html#CO_CH3AD_ARTIINGE_S3-7USRAAMETVEADPU

Also the following regarding amplified sound from a motor vehicle:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10...html#CO_CH23OF_ARTIINO_S23-70MOVEMASOLEAMSOVE

and

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10122/level3/CO_CH23OF_ARTIINO.html#CO_CH23OF_ARTIINO_S23-71SPPR

I cannot find any other cites under "loudspeaker", "public address" or "radio" that would lead me to believe that such a use was prohibited.

Consequently I had one installed in two separate vehicles with PA loudspeakers for many years and never had a problem. I do not find any immediate cites in the state code.

jermflux

Probably a noise ordinance. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a truck that jumps up and down while blaring a Mexican Hat Dance.

Wow, way to give away the surprise! No point in even doing it now, ha ha

As always, you guys were very helpful. Thank you

Red Dawg

Maybe a little more clarrification is needed, but. The PA function will let you use your mike to announce, but an external speaker, plugged into the back, will let you hear the cb while you are fishing, or what have you. I have had the speaker hooked up to my scanner so i could hear it while I work outside, or fish, or sit and have a glass of iced tea near my garage. I can NOT cite, but have never had an issue. I've been doing it for 25 years. Of course I've never pulled behind a cop and made a siren sound with the PA function...:lol:

wylde007

Of course I've never pulled behind a cop and made a siren sound with the PA function... :lol:
Mine did not have the "siren" function, but my wife had one when she was a youth which did - and they (her and her brother) got in trouble for activating it once.

I believe that an "emergency" siren is just that, and any use not specifically-related to emergency services or use as a warning (see the preceding code cites) should be akin to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater.

It would appear the law agrees, though IANAL.

jermflux

Maybe a little more clarrification is needed, but. The PA function will let you use your mike to announce, but an external speaker, plugged into the back, will let you hear the cb while you are fishing, or what have you. I have had the speaker hooked up to my scanner so i could hear it while I work outside, or fish, or sit and have a glass of iced tea near my garage. I can NOT cite, but have never had an issue. I've been doing it for 25 years. Of course I've never pulled behind a cop and made a siren sound with the PA function...:lol:

My model (Cobra 29 LX LE), the PA volume is controlled by the "Mike Gain" after you swich over to the PA function. The last channel you were on when useing the CB will still be active. Unless you turn the MAIN CB volume all the way down, you can monitor CB chatter through your PA. I also do have an external speaker option but don't use/need it.

https://cobra.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=214

http://www.walcottcb.com/cobra-29-lx-le-50th-anniversary-cb-radio-p-2074.html