• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kum & Go gas Station.

Josh.M

So, I went to the 'Kum & Go' gas station here in Greeley on 37th. It was around 10:45 pm and as I walk into the store, I waved to the assistant manager and continued to the back of the store to get a Mountain Dew Code Red(F'ing love them!). Right when I get to the pepsi refridgerator door to grab my mt dew 2 male hooded gentleman walk in and head to the register. I stopped and waited out of sight observing what was going on. About 5 seconds into it the hair on my back of my neck stand on end and I hear one of the hooded men say "You been busy man? Bet you gotz some ton full of cash in that register homie" at this point the manager asked the gentleman to leave. The other hooded man at this point says "Nah homie I don't think thats going to happen, gimmie the ******* money puto or else!"

At this point all I can do is hear whats going on, I can't get a visual on anything so I have no idea what the hooded gentleman were robbing the store with. I then start thinking and realized the store has huge round mirrors for theft prevention. I see the hooded men holding a tiny ******* knife and what seems to be a buck knife. Now I'm F'ing pumped. I yell "Oh **** this ****" and draw my Beretta 92a1 and start walking up to the register. The hooded men say "who the **** is that? Get the **** over here homie!" As I reply with "Sure thing home-ey(sarcasticly) I round the candy isle and now can see everyone(the candy isle still gave me about 15 feet of distance between me and them). Anyways, As I round the corner I chamber a round into my firearm and tell the hooded men to "Get on the ******* floor before I put you there my self" Now, I can tell they have encountered this before cause they immediately drop to their knees, drop the knives and interlock their fingers on their heads.

I tell the Ast-Manager to call 911 and make sure he calmly tells the operator that he was being robbed but its undercontrol till a LEO gets here and to make sure they know the man with the gun is not the robber but the good guy. After about 7 minutes, 12 cop cars or so come racing in with lights on. They barged into the gas staion tactle'ing the 2 men on the ground and a woman LEO comes up to me and asked me to calmly holster my weapon its under control. After about 20 minutes of writing my statement and file'ing a citizens arrest form(I had to cause I was the one who did the detaining). I was able to leave and go home.

Bitch about it is.... Not a thank you, good job, proud to have you as a citizen..... Nothing. Oh well, atleast they went to jail and we all went home safe.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
...As I round the corner I chamber a round into my firearm...

Good story except this part. What the hell are you doing carrying a gun without a round chambered?

Do you happen to have a new report of this somewhere? Not that I'm doubting you, but there are a lot of trolls on this forum and I would assume something like this would make the news.

Good to hear you and the store clerk are okay.

Last edited:

bogidu

Good story except this part. What the hell are you doing carrying a gun without a round chambered?

Until I get a holster with active retention, I don't carry with round chambered. I've read a few of these gun grab stories and if that happens to me I may need the time to stick my fist in someone throat.

Josh.M

Do you happen to have a new report of this somewhere? Not that I'm doubting you, but there are a lot of trolls on this forum and I would assume something like this would make the news.

Good to hear you and the store clerk are okay.

To be honest, it is my life and my choice of carry and someones opinion on how I should carry doesn't matter. But if it helps you sleep at night I have a holster where if I pull out like normal I can chamber a round and take off the safety manually. If I push down on my weapon through the holster it chambers a round and takes it of safter for me.

Last edited:

Kingfish

I've read a few of these gun grab stories...
Could you post cites for these "stories"? And we are not talking about a BG grabbing a LEO gun while in a fight.

I would very much like to see these stories of civilians getting their guns grabbed.

Last edited:

DinFreemont

Could you post cites for these "stories"? And we are not talking about a BG grabbing a LEO gun while in a fight.

I would very much like to see these stories of civilians getting their guns grabbed.

I have been actively searching for this myself - I have been unable to find a single verifiable instance, not even a single story.

bogidu

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75201
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84046
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?51800
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

Now mind you, this is only a few examples, but if you google search "grab his gun" it seems that it happens to cops all the time. So this begs the question as to why cops more than those of us who oc? It's a simple matter of statistics. Cops are around criminals far more than the rest of us, however what's to say you're not going to pass by one of these criminals who happens to notice you oc'ing? I think the first link is a prime example of the kind of idiots I'm talking about. The second one just underscores that they're out there.

DinFreemont

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?75201
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84046
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?51800
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40381

Now mind you, this is only a few examples, but if you google search "grab his gun" it seems that it happens to cops all the time. So this begs the question as to why cops more than those of us who oc? It's a simple matter of statistics. Cops are around criminals far more than the rest of us, however what's to say you're not going to pass by one of these criminals who happens to notice you oc'ing? I think the first link is a prime example of the kind of idiots I'm talking about. The second one just underscores that they're out there.

Trust that I am not trying to be contrarian on this...

None of the examples did the gun actually get removed from the secure possession of the holder.

LEOs of any type do not count in this situation, except for lessons on how to retain your weapon (an excellent use of anyones time), as stated the proximity to intoxicated individuals and criminals increases the issue.

Retention of the weapon is paramount, we all understand that and most of us think of this on a regular basis (I know I do).

But you see the problem, finding instances where an OC civilian has had his weapon removed and then to find third party verification is difficult - I discount the argument that OC is dangerous because someone could “grab your gun” someone may well try and grab your gun but few if any are successful in this attempt.

I consider the risk, and have a secure button lock retention holster for a reason, but the “it is possible” argument is not going to persuade me to not open carry when I wish (where it is legal of course, regardless of my distaste for the unconstitutional control in some areas).

I did find all of the links VERY valuable, thank you, and just more to consider.

Kingfish

Unsubstantiated and weapon was not removed from holster.

"FELT" someone was going to grab gun.

LEO took firearm.

Security guard tried to remove firearm but did not.

...it seems that it happens to cops all the time.
Illrelivent. It is LEO job to approach BGs.

Still looking for a BG grabbing a civilian holstered firearm. If it has ever really happened there would be plenty of news stories. The media would love to show a BG grabbing a citizens holstered firearm.

bogidu

Look, I'm not going to argue this particular point or defend the examples I've provided, I was asked for references and I gave them. The risk is out there and we can all choose to handle it how we feel best. Until I'm able to locate a holster with an active retention system for a CZ P-01, I choose to carry empty chamber in order to buy myself a little extra time should I encounter this situation, you can do what you want.

*ed: sorry, I had a headache when I typed this, came across a bit bitchier than I wanted*

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Indeed. Carry as you are comfortable to do so. It is better than not carrying at all. However "buying more time" is a cop out excuse really. You think a BG is going to be too stupid or slow to rack a slide?

There are 3 highly regarded instructors in my area that teach gun retention / holster techniques. If you are legitimately worried about such a scenario, I would suggest training by someone in your area.

Last edited:

bogidu

Indeed. Carry as you are comfortable to do so. It is better than not carrying at all. However "buying more time" is a cop out excuse really. You think a BG is going to be too stupid or slow to rack a slide?

There are 3 highly regarded instructors in my area that teach gun retention / holster techniques. If you are legitimately worried about such a scenario, I would suggest training by someone in your area.

Anyone who grabs for a holstered weapon? Yes, they are too stupid to know if a round is chambered or not. And yes, retention training is on my list of things to do. :)

Josh.M

Those of you who turned this topic from a post showing good people with guns can make a difference into a bitching contest.... You guys are f'ing kidding me right? it doesnt matter about the f'ing "What If's". carry how you carry and if someone tells you how to carry its just as bad as a LEO telling you, you can't carry. Meaning it is stepping in your right to choose. Get over you self and get on topic and stop ******* bitching about stupid what if!! jesus you guys who went off topic! I'm starting to think you are the guys carrying just to hope you get into an encounter so you can use your gun. Thats not helping our movement or adding to the cause that is making it harder for us.

VW_Factor

Those of you who turned this topic from a post showing good people with guns can make a difference into a bitching contest.... You guys are f'ing kidding me right? it doesnt matter about the f'ing "What If's". carry how you carry and if someone tells you how to carry its just as bad as a LEO telling you, you can't carry. Meaning it is stepping in your right to choose. Get over you self and get on topic and stop ******* bitching about stupid what if!! jesus you guys who went off topic! I'm starting to think you are the guys carrying just to hope you get into an encounter so you can use your gun. Thats not helping our movement or adding to the cause that is making it harder for us.

Can we get a link to a news story, or police report about your encounter or what?

Also, calm down. This is the internet sir, 4chan is elsewhere.

MKEgal

This is the ONLY situation I've ever heard of.
There was an incident last summer here in Milwaukee where an open carrier (the only legal way in WI, at least for now) was robbed of his gun, at gunpoint.
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/95999354.html
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/95995449.html
The criminal bummed a cigarette, then pointed a gun at the victim & robbed him.

BTW, this happened in an extremely high-crime, high-poverty, high-minority area.
(Those do seem to appear together with distressing regularity.)
Doesn't surprise me that the criminals grown there carry guns (concealed, of course) and aren't worried about robbing someone of a gun.
And it's not surpising that the neighborhood resident with the exotic name who is quoted in the article is afraid of guns, since all but one of the people she's ever known to have a gun have been criminals (or cops, who are not welcome in that area).

I've read about a couple of attempted grabs by civilians, usually misguided store rent-a-cops (though one was a teen male in line behind an OCer at a store). And of course many many illegal gun grabs under color of law by various law enforcement officers.

Compared to the thousands who OC daily in WI, and the hundreds of thousands who do so across the country, ONE incident is nothing.

Last edited:

DinFreemont

Those of you who turned this topic from a post showing good people with guns can make a difference into a bitching contest.

Good people with guns is the reason I support OC...

Getting off topic is part of a conversation, and if looked at correctly can provide input and valuable information.

jesus you guys who went off topic! I'm starting to think you are the guys carrying just to hope you get into an encounter so you can use your gun. Thats not helping our movement or adding to the cause that is making it harder for us.

Care to provide any evidence in support of this statement?

I think the possibility of a OC person having a firearm removed is remote, and I bring it up because is it the most used and abused reason given by supposed “pro-gun” anti OC people that I come across.

I will start a new post to keep out of this thread on this issue.

DinFreemont

Look, I'm not going to argue this particular point or defend the examples I've provided, I was asked for references and I gave them. The risk is out there and we can all choose to handle it how we feel best. Until I'm able to locate a holster with an active retention system for a CZ P-01, I choose to carry empty chamber in order to buy myself a little extra time should I encounter this situation, you can do what you want.

*ed: sorry, I had a headache when I typed this, came across a bit bitchier than I wanted*

You did not have to defend your examples, that was not the point and I thought the links were valuable, I intend on adding more time into training for retention.

Kingfish