Thread: Georgia's way of handling OCers and terry stops

Georgia's way of handling OCers and terry stops

Georgia is similar to us in that they need a permit to CC or to OC. This memo should be the minimum we expect that each chief sends to his officers in this state.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/...9+memo#p238818

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Georgia is similar to us in that they need a permit to CC or to OC. This memo should be the minimum we expect that each chief sends to his officers in this state.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/...9+memo#p238818
    They still get approached though....does GA's statute make lack of a permit an element of the crime or is the possession of a permit an affirmative defense? I would guess the latter from the remaining obligation to request the permit.
    Last edited by emsjeep; 02-18-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    They still get approached though....
    The memo clearly says they are not to be approached unless the owner wants to trespass them.

The memo clearly says they are not to be approached unless the owner wants to trespass them.
    1st Memo, point #6...which in and of itself seems odd considering what precedes it. "If we have reason to approach...but they are not breaking a law, ask for a permit then leave." If the only action taken is to confirm the presence of the permit, after which they leave, then the only reason for initiating the contact ("reason to approach") was in regards to the open carry. Its a "don't do it, but if you do it only do this" sort of statement and it doesn't really make any sense to me.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Considering it doesn't tell them to enact any penalties on people who don't give them their permit, I would say that is pretty telling.

I read the same thing on page 1.....

Still seems they can just ask for a permit. I still have a hard time with "show me your papers".....

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Still seems they can just ask for a permit.
    No one has ever said they can't ask for your permit. Anyone can ask for your permit.

Arresting you for not providing your permit or detaining you in the first place is not acceptable.

Georgia Constitution

Once again we see a state cleverly getting the citizens of a state to accept(willingly) the trampling of their rights and be happy about it.

When a right is recognized--a citizen must have some way of FREELY exercising that right. No permits, fees, licenses or conditions. Georgia's constitution recognizes the citizens right to keep and bear arms--so the requirement to have a permit/license to carry open OR concealed is not constitutional in Georgia. One or the other must be allowed without a permit/license.
    Last edited by 4sooth; 02-20-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    This is how a young man reacted to the police up in Biddeford, Maine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv5q...990A1E922DC271

It's an awesome listen-to.

To ALL Connecticut Posts on This Forum Concerning This Topic:

STOP!

The Oconee Countys Sheriff's Office Memo Citied, although Factually Correct, is now Outdated under The Passage of Senate Bill 308, on June. 4, 2010.

State Statutes 16-11-126 AND 16-11-127 have been Substansially Revised.

State Statute 16-11-127.1, was also Revised, in Part.

Open Carry of a Loaded Pistol in Public is Legal so as long as The Person has a Georgia Weapons Carry License, Issued Pursuant to Georgia Code 16-11-129.

*** This is Similiar to Connecticut Law 29-28. ***

Please Refer to The Following Post, for my Information to a Dalton, Georgia Open Carrier:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...dalton-georgia
    Last edited by aadvark; 02-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    The Oconee Countys Sheriff's Office Memo Citied, although Factually Correct, is now Outdated under The Passage of Senate Bill 308, on June. 4, 2010.
    What part of the memo would be incorrect now that is relevant to this thread?

No one has ever said they can't ask for your permit. Anyone can ask for your permit.

Arresting you for not providing your permit or detaining you in the first place is not acceptable.
    Maybe I've been on the other side of the baton one too many times, but, I still don't see someone refusing to show a permit just walking away on this one......

I'm just sayin'.....

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    To ALL Connecticut Posts on This Forum Concerning This Topic:

STOP!
    Why? Even if it's outdated, it's a good example whether it's current or not.

I just dunno about the asking in general, kinda wreaks of "show me your papers"....

Other than that, I'd LOVE it if CT was even half as civil as those memos!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    Maybe I've been on the other side of the baton one too many times, but, I still don't see someone refusing to show a permit just walking away on this one......
    No one has said they would in Connecticut.

ALL Connecticut Iquires as to Oconee County Sheriff's Office Memo:

The Codes Citied have since been Revised.

Case Law, and Civil Procedure, in Light of Federal Law 42 U.S.C. 1983, Remains Factual.

aadvark
    Last edited by aadvark; 02-22-2011 at 11:10 AM.