• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We all know about 911...

fire suppressor

I work private security for a business I will not name on the forum. Once and a while someone comes up to me telling me they think there car has been stolen, I have been told by the 911 operator myself they will only dispatch a unit of the owner of the car calls 911.

.45ACPaddy

It's BS that they can only report a robbery if they're the victim, and common sense would dictate that it's only possible after the fact.

Makes me wonder, though... what if they had reported an assault in progress?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But did you know you must be the victim to report a theft???!?!?!?!?!

Yes you heard me right! While you are being robbed on a bus, you must place a call to the 911 emergency line and tell them you are being confronted by thieves!!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/116456603.html?

That is plain and simple BS - that operator needs to fired, at least retrained.

Hello 911

There is a woman being stabbed right in front of my house.

Sir, the victim must make the call. click :banghead:

joeroket

But did you know you must be the victim to report a theft???!?!?!?!?!

Yes you heard me right! While you are being robbed on a bus, you must place a call to the 911 emergency line and tell them you are being confronted by thieves!!!

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/116456603.html?

Let me first say that the dispatcher is an idiot. Having said that they are correct about taking a theft report. Theft is a property crime and the owner is required to file the report. Robbery is a persons crime and anyone that witnesses it can report it and should get an officer dispatched.

Greenisfaster take a look at these. You say you must be the victim to report a theft and then turn around and say if you are being robbed on a bus you must be the one to call 911. This is untrue and you are talking about two different types of crime.

Definition of theft;
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.020

Definition of robbery;
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.190

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

I called 911 about a theft at my friends house because his mom had called first and almost 5 hours had gone by. So I called and asked the status on the unit reporting to xxxxx address.

911 what seems to be the problem?
me my friend house was broke into 5-6 hours ago.
911 whats the address?
me xxxxxxxxx
911 is everyone ok?
me yes
911 ok, we will have someone there by the end of the next shift.
me did you forget that there were 8 guns stolen?
911 was there any bullets?
me yes 1500+ rounds
911 were the guns loaded?
me some.
911 we are very busy.
me and you may be even busier if somone goes into 7-11 with the AK or AR-15
911 Ok didn't know there was assault weapons. we will be there ASAP

I still don't understand why mentioning those weapons are more important than say if it was a Kimber or rem700 30-06 or moss500. which also happen to have been stolen.

My point is even when the owner calls to report, sometimes stuff still doesn't get done.

OrangeIsTrouble

Let me first say that the dispatcher is an idiot. Having said that they are correct about taking a theft report. Theft is a property crime and the owner is required to file the report. Robbery is a persons crime and anyone that witnesses it can report it and should get an officer dispatched.

Greenisfaster take a look at these. You say you must be the victim to report a theft and then turn around and say if you are being robbed on a bus you must be the one to call 911. This is untrue and you are talking about two different types of crime.

Definition of theft;
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.020

Definition of robbery;
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.56.190

Joe, as I was posting this and already submitted, I knew there would be some toying with my words, but I don't like editing my messages. However, if you listen to the tape, she says "theft AND robbery on a bus".

Still however, common sense pushes one to maybe ASK the caller if a better term should be used!!!

joeroket

Joe, as I was posting this and already submitted, I knew there would be some toying with my words, but I don't like editing my messages. However, if you listen to the tape, she says "theft AND robbery on a bus".

Still however, common sense pushes one to maybe ASK the caller if a better term should be used!!!

I agree with you 110%. The operator was in the wrong by not dispatching an officer as the decision on how to handle it should be LEO and LEO alone, but her statement about reporting of theft is absolutely spot on. The caller should have said assault and robbery and the operator should have gotten clarification as you have typically have either theft or robbery but not both in the same incident.

The only reason I brought up the differences between the two crimes is that there are a lot of people who use them synonymously.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I called 911 about a theft at my friends house because his mom had called first and almost 5 hours had gone by. So I called and asked the status on the unit reporting to xxxxx address.

911 what seems to be the problem?
me my friend house was broke into 5-6 hours ago.
911 whats the address?
me xxxxxxxxx
911 is everyone ok?
me yes
911 ok, we will have someone there by the end of the next shift.
me did you forget that there were 8 guns stolen?
911 was there any bullets?
me yes 1500+ rounds
911 were the guns loaded?
me some.
911 we are very busy.
me and you may be even busier if somone goes into 7-11 with the AK or AR-15
911 Ok didn't know there was assault weapons. we will be there ASAP

I still don't understand why mentioning those weapons are more important than say if it was a Kimber or rem700 30-06 or moss500. which also happen to have been stolen.

My point is even when the owner calls to report, sometimes stuff still doesn't get done.

Reminds me of a story that will make a point here.

An older gentleman was awakened in the middle of the night by noises. Looked out his window and saw 2 men breaking in his large storage shed.

He immediately dialed 911 and told the dispatcher what he saw. Dispatcher said an officer would be there within a few minutes.

Ten minutes later the gentleman called 911 back and said they're putting my stuff in their truck. Hurry. Dispatcher replied officers would be there in just a few minutes.

After 15 more minutes of watching his possessions get piled higher and higher in the thieves' truck, the older gentleman called 911 for the 3rd time, telling the dispatcher, "Never mind, I just shot 'em - you can take your time!"

Within moments 3 police units slide into his driveway and captured the crooks red handed. The Sgt. in charge stormed up to the property owner berating him with, " I thought you said you shot 'em!"

The kindly gentleman drawled, "Thought you said you'd be here in a few minutes."

Don't really recommend that, but the point is priorities change according to what one hears and how they are acclimated to certain key words.

The bus incident - I would have reported an assault in progress with possible injuries.

1911er

An older gentleman was awakened in the middle of the night by noises. Looked out his window and saw 2 men breaking in his large storage shed.

He immediately dialed 911 and told the dispatcher what he saw. Dispatcher said an officer would be there within a few minutes.

Ten minutes later the gentleman called 911 back and said they're putting my stuff in their truck. Hurry. Dispatcher replied officers would be there in just a few minutes.

After 15 more minutes of watching his possessions get piled higher and higher in the thieves' truck, the older gentleman called 911 for the 3rd time, telling the dispatcher, "Never mind, I just shot 'em - you can take your time!"

Within moments 3 police units slide into his driveway and captured the crooks red handed. The Sgt. in charge stormed up to the property owner berating him with, " I thought you said you shot 'em!"

The kindly gentleman drawled, "Thought you said you'd be here in a few minutes."

Don't really recommend that, but the point is priorities change according to what one hears and how they are acclimated to certain key words.

The bus incident - I would have reported an assault in progress with possible injuries.
+1

tony d tiger

I like it!

...[I CALL] "1911" rather than just "911".
bumper sticker material...
icon14.png

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Change it to "I carry a 1911 rather than Call 911".

Or

"A 1911 responds quicker than a call to 911"

"When Seconds Count 1911 or 911 You Choose!"

In My Case, "When Seconds Count XD40 or 911 You Choose"

Just a different spin, but I like them all.

Last edited:

Tactical Trunk Monkey

+10

Johnsmith1521

this is whats wrong with the system... This is why more and more people are becoming armed... When I heard the dispatcher, my blood just boiled!!! WTF is the point of 911 if they won't send help... And is it just me or are all dispatchers this stupid? When I call 911 I expect help on the way... Not some smart ass on the other end saying they won't send anyone cause I'm not the victim... how is this any different from reporting a suspicious person walking around a parking lot or some one who just got attacked? oh wait, you have to be the victim for them to send someone!!! with that said, I'll stick to my 1911, then call 911 afterwards!!!:cuss: